VoIP and Caller Display

Started by john7, Sep 30, 2024, 16:36:32

Previous topic - Next topic

john7

We have BT Advanced Z Cordless which converted the incoming phone number to the name if there was an entry in the phone contact information when using the BT line. As soon as went over to UBOSS all we get is the phone number. Support say suppliers can't see why this isn't working and did some changes with no effect for us. All the phone book entries are with full STD codes so that's not the problem. Contented BT who say all there phones currently sold fully work with VoIP and a second one I spoke to said there was nothing at the phone end that could be changed it was just the VoIP wasn't set up right somewhere but as its not them kick your ISP.

Does anyone using UBOSS have caller names from there address book working? If so what phone are you using as we are getting to the stage of thinking we will have to change phones again but really need to be sure any new ones will actually work with IDNET and UBOSS.

Simon

Can't help, but also interested in this as I'm wondering whether caller display on my Seimens Gigaset phones will display names when I eventually switch to UBOSS.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Clive

I have a ZYXEL router using Seimens cordless over VOIP and voice display works well.

nowster

So you say you are seeing the caller's number? Is it just the matching of number to a phonebook entry that's not working?

What format does the phone display the number?

Is it 01632 123456, or +44 1632 123456, or 00441632123456, or is there unusual or no spacing?

john7

It's in +44163123456 format not the same as in the phone that  according to BT should be OK ie  01632123456,
 We get all numbers not just those in the phone. So it looks as if thsts the problem it's been set up wrongly if normal numbers should work on the phone.  Will get back to support again.

nowster

You might need to teach the phone that +44 is the same as 0. (eg. telling it that the area code prefix is 0 and your country code is 44)

john7

Looked for that and nothing I could see, BT was very clear the phone contacts as working over there phone line should work via UBOSS. I also looked at the router they supplied and can't see anything on it

john7

Quote from: Clive on Sep 30, 2024, 18:06:40I have a ZYXEL router using Seimens cordless over VOIP and voice display works well.
Quote from: Clive on Sep 30, 2024, 18:06:40I have a ZYXEL router using Seimens cordless over VOIP and voice display works well.
What format are your call numbers? My ones I now see have +44 not 0

Clive

Mine are 0 just the same as it was on the landline.  The quality isn't quite as good but it's fine.  One minor problem is that when someone phones when we are using it there is no engaged tone so they think our phone isn't working.  But they can always phone our mobiles.

john7

Thanks that fits with some others I know but they were/are with BT so us full to know IDNet does use the right calling phone number so its most certainly not been set up right for me (and other?)

john7

Had a reply from BT re making changes to my phone to change +44 to 0 and no way. They say they are phones produced for the UK market only and some makes covering international markets may have that ability. Again they said its VoIP setup that is the problem so have got back, again, to support.

nowster

In that case it's on iDNet to mangle the caller ID before presenting it to your phone. They've probably got a configuration setting already which could do this.

It's a few lines of code in a VoIP server like Asterisk:

s/_0044. => {
     Set(CALLERID(number)=0${CALLERID(number):4});
  };
  s/+44. => {
     Set(CALLERID(number)=0${CALLERID(number):3});
  };

That's the AEL dialect. I've not tried using its LUA config.

john7

Thanks, they need to do something as Clive doesn't have the problem and he is with them as well. I have forwarded your idea to them. There is no way of adding +44 to my phone b00k as no + on the phone. I have been with out names working since moving to AoIP back before June. I have been pushing them for well over a month when my wife lost patience with the lack of it. I think the problem is its "new" and they don't have much experience but they are selling the product so should be able to get it working and offer support. After all IDNet isn't cheap and the transfer we have had has been frankly appalling. The router they supplied wasn't setup for UBOS to work and they had to get on line to get it working. It was here I was asked what I now see as the obvious question what phone number is being used for calls to me. That was after months of pressing them about the issue. I may be 80 but have a ICT background how are others with out some knowledge and willingness (bloddy mindedness!)to keep on about things not working going to fair?

john7

It gets madder in response to my forwarding  nowster idea I'm told they have turned it off in UBOSS and it may be the phone that's the problem. Clearly the wrong phone numbers are the problem and they come here and what ever has been turned off gets an even madder as a test with my mobile gets 1046558 which is nothing like my mobile number?! 1046558  looking in the router is an IP address 10.46.55.58

Simon

All of this makes me even more disinclined to switch to a VoIP phone service.   :facepalm:
Simon.
--

john7

I fully agree I wish we had never changed. I have asked about moving back but support say you can't but BT reportedly do still do so  in areas still with analogue system's

nowster

If we ever get FTTP in the area here (I'm on Virgin Cable; my Dad's on iDNet), I'd be getting FTTP from iDNet and moving the voice service to A&A.

The UBOSS service seems overpriced and geared towards iDNet providing a turnkey solution.

Just for clarity: is the BT device a VoIP-specific phone, or are you using the analogue phone socket on your TPLink router with a POTS phone?

john7

Hi yes the phone is plugged into the EX820v_BCC1 supplied by IDNet. Its a Advanced Phone Z system which was used by a friend with a BT VoIP system. BT have said twice now all the analog phones they currently sell will work with probably configured VoIP systems.  Unless a phone can be setup to convert international codes to local there is no way they can display the caller names held in there contact lists as you cant add + to most phones. Thus for most phones they totally rely on the phone codes coming in matching the phone codes used in the contact lists.

My brother was on Virgin cable and they switched him over to fiber with VoIP and has has no problems since then.

nowster

john7

Quote from: nowster on Oct 01, 2024, 14:08:22AoIP? What's that?
Sorry dislxic so tend to mess things up VoIP

Simon

Simon.
--

Clive

Just for the sake of clarity I'm sadly no longer with IDNet as they don't provide full fibre to my area.

john7

Quote from: Clive on Oct 01, 2024, 15:33:51Just for the sake of clarity I'm sadly no longer with IDNet as they don't provide full fibre to my area.
But still usfull to know you have 0 not +44.

nowster

Quote from: Clive on Oct 01, 2024, 15:33:51Just for the sake of clarity I'm sadly no longer with IDNet as they don't provide full fibre to my area.
Do they provide you with VoIP service?

Clive

My current ISP (Ogi) provides me with a VoIP service and that's what I use.