Hi new customer here... few concerns though.

Started by Richdog, Jul 23, 2006, 11:13:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Richdog

Hi guys,

Some of you may recognise my username form ADSL Guide, been posting there a bit lately, but thought i'd register here and say hello considering this is the main IDNutters site. :D

Anyway I moved from a sub-par Ace (r.i.p) to IDNet based on reccommendations and reputation and just have a  few queries.  I realise that my 10-day training period is not yet finished (though I hear speeds should stabilise after 3 days) but despite my router synching at up to 2.4MB I am seeing absolutely appalling speeds, today a speed test showed it at 239kbps... and the last couple of days previous to thid it has been 400kbps or lower, no to mention VERY frequent disconnections!

With Ace I was hitting 100kb/s download speeds on the first few days and it did remain pretty consistent until I changed.  I used to have a 1MB Virgin connection that averaged a stable 120kb/s so while I am reasonably far from the exchange, and my stats aren't fantastic, it is capable of 170kb/s+ as this was the max I hit on Ace.

I'm installing an ADSL faceplate next week so this should improve stability a bt but I can't help being a tad worried about these dreadful speeds and constant disconnections... I use the net a lot for work and play and can't afford to have loss of service like this.  Yesterday, it literally must have been on for a total of 2 hours, staying on for a few minutes and then disconnecting.  I still had the odd disconnection before migrating to IDNet, but only 1 or 2 a day.  As I am writing this I have 3 disconnections.

So yes, I understand I still in my training perod but intial impressions are worrying me... 300kbps and disconnecting frequently isn't a very encouraging start... and nothing has changed in my house besides migratng to IDNet.

Any words of comfort for a young chap? :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

AvengerUK

Hey richdog - welcome to the forums :)

These problems are typical of the 10 day period, and speeds are determind by contention at your exchange and your BRAS profile - not IDnet.
Your speeds should pick up after the 10 day period - i had similar problems during the period!.
Infact your Max speeds sound like mine, i assume with Ace you synced at around 2200kbs and got speeds of ~160? During the 10 day period expect your line to stay at around 400kbs, mine did, Towards to end of the period you may find that interleaving has been turned on, which means your line is more stable (Not faster) but it also adds ~10ms to pings.

Richdog

Hi Avenger,

Thanks for replying mate. I'm aware of the contention issues, it's just that compared to ACE's 10-day period the speeda are verrrry low.  And the constant disconnections... this is killing me, i've never seen it anything close to this bad.

With ACE I was averaging sub-100kb/s download speeds, usually 90kb/s... they only managed to get it running at close to its' full potential for 1 day... where I got a sustained 170kb/s.  Next day this dropped back down to what it was before... very odd.

Just out of interest what are your average download speeds? :)

Rich.
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

AvengerUK

Depends on the weather,
Currently im getting ~80kb/s - due to thunder storm the other day :(
I should start getting ~170kb/s in the next day or so, whenever my profile resets.

Jeff

Rich, you must wait until your MSR has been reset by BT. IDNet cannot do anything else until this has been done. :(

If you really need some reassurance, call IDNet free on 0800 0267 237 and ask for Miriam. She may not be able to do anything with your line but man, she`ll make u feel better! :D

Richdog

Quote from: Jeff on Jul 24, 2006, 20:37:02She may not be able to do anything with your line but man, she`ll make u feel better! :D

Not one of thos "fruity" phone lines is it?  :o

Still at a consistent 400kb too, been like this every day now. :(
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Scott

Quote from: Richdog on Jul 25, 2006, 07:37:20
Still at a consistent 400kb too, been like this every day now. :(

Patience...oh impetuous one !
[oh lordy Jeff...I'm off again !]
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

Jeff

Should pan out OK Rich. If your still concerned, perform a BT Speedtest which should yield the same results. Be happy to talk you through how to do this if it`s new to you :)

Richdog

Quote from: Jeff on Jul 25, 2006, 22:33:10
Should pan out OK Rich. If your still concerned, perform a BT Speedtest which should yield the same results. Be happy to talk you through how to do this if it`s new to you :)

Heh I know how to do a speed test and I wasn't blaming IDNet, just found it odd how with Ace I was on 1.4MB (according to Namesco speed test) for the first 10 days, and now it's 1/3 of that, seriously affecting my downloads.

Don't worry i'll be patient Jeff you cantankerous sod (I mean that in a loving, almost tender way), I just find it very annoying that's all as it's interfering with my gaming etc.  ;)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Scott

Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

Jeff

Hey, that`s three insults in as many days, nice going Rich ;)

Richdog

Quote from: Jeff on Jul 27, 2006, 20:54:16
Hey, that`s three insults in as many days, nice going Rich ;)

Three...? :police:
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

Aye, and pound to a penny you wouldn`t go for number 4 if I was standing right next to you ;)

Richdog

lol I wouldn't be too sure about that me old mucker, making assumptions aboput people on the net is always a bad thing, you should know that by now lol.  ;D

Anyway pointless posturing aside, connection is still a solid 450kb... going to install an NTE5 socket (an an etension) as per the excellent guide in the tips section, see if this improves things after the 10-days is up. :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

mrapoc

i got that a lot, even after the 10 days but now it seems mature. jeez ive meissed a LOT of posts

Richdog

Quote from: mrapoc on Jul 29, 2006, 15:04:22
i got that a lot, even after the 10 days but now it seems mature. jeez ive meissed a LOT of posts

Funny thing is my connection has been faultless alld ay... i've been downloading the whole time (albeit at a cr*p speed) without any hiccups so that's a good thing.  I just hope that on Monday the speed situation is sorted out as my router is constantly synching at 2MB+ and I have seen 170kb/s on this line before...

*crosses fingers*
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

lol @ Rich. Aye, I know, just ridin` yer ass boy, though not in a good way :D That was also a joke, I`m married and straight ;)

Rich, we haven`t analysed any line stats from you yet, but I`m figuring through other posts that you are not only maximising your line potential with new wiring/faceplates etc but perhaps a new router to boot? This is all very good stuff and you know, should things perk up for you, it is possible for IDNet to arrange another 10 day training period so that your MSR may be reset which in turn (hopefully) will get you an even better sync rate.

Ultimately though m8, everyone on Max has what BT deem a FTR which means Fault Threshold Rate. This means that if your throughput (what your actual download speed is) is 30% or more, lower than what you sync at, it is considered a fault. So if after your 10 day training period, and for example, you are synced at 2.4Mbit, your throughput should be at least 1.68Mbit. If it is not, IDNet will raise it as a fault with BT ... and BT will definately fix it ... yeah right ;)

I feel your pain m8, my exchange has not been brilliant for nearly a year now where previously it was sublime for 3 solid years. It means that I can be synced at my usual ca. 6.5Mbit, but throughput varies. Last night it was blazing, now, well it`s not fantastic, but I don`t notice it so much on Max. My line sync gives me the potential of 600+KB/sec downloads depending on the server capabilities where I`m acquiring my download, but maybe it`s around 350KB/sec at this moment but hey, it`s more than enough for me and I`ve just had to accept that exchange congestion exists :)

Richdog

Hehe I know yer yanking my chain mate and I was doing the same in turn, just my cheeky Northern nature at work. :D

Funny you say that you can reset the MSR and restart the 10-day period... a friend just got point-blank refused when he asked Eclipse the same thing as they said they "couldn't do it", so to see you offer it will irk him I think.  Again, this is why I chose IDNet.

My connection seems incredibly stable now, the weekend is (was?) usually the wort time for drop-offs and it is running beautifully, so I think a new router may not be necessary, mine has a decent chip in it anyway I think.

Still synching at 2.2MB and connection is still a very consistent 500kb/s so I have a feeling that come the end of the 10-days that this is what i'm going to get.  My connection went live on the 21st so tommorrow is the end of that time.  I'll report back then in case my line magically jups up to the proper speeds lol.

Cheers Jeff. :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Richdog

Well gentlemen it'S the 10th day and my line is still a solid 500kb despite my router synching at 2.2MB.

Advice? :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

mrapoc

give it a bit more  ;) a couple of days after the training and ur speed will be revealed to you

Richdog

Quote from: mrapoc on Jul 31, 2006, 12:33:56
give it a bit more  ;) a couple of days after the training and ur speed will be revealed to you

I have (self-proclaimed) ADSL gurus telling me that the max speeds are usually found after 4 days or so but that BT don't want fault reports within first 10 days... why would it take LONGER than 10 days to give me full speeds?  :(
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Gilba

Give support a call if your worried.

Have you tried the BT speedtest to make sure.

It could be that your speed could be stuck.

mrapoc

i just found that after about 12 days i got the speed im gettin now

Gilba

I got my speed a couple of days if not straight away when I upgraded to Max.

But he has had 500kb/s since the start so it could be stuck.

Richdog

Quote from: Gilba on Jul 31, 2006, 14:29:55
I got my speed a couple of days if not straight away when I upgraded to Max.

But he has had 500kb/s since the start so it could be stuck.

It's most definately stuck my friend, without a doubt, as numerous speed tests have confirmed.  Anyway, sent a she-male to IDNet and got a reply from Simon explaining why my connection could be fault-ering, and asking that I run another couple of speed tests.  I also have rebooted my router a fair few times due to ADSL/wireless drop-offs so whether that's a mistake that contributed to the current situation then who knows.

Off on hols for a week to france on thursday so will leave the router be and see how it fares when I get back.  If it's still crummy then i'll go through the fault reporting channels and fit the ADSL filter and new NTE-5 socket extension too in the hope that bring a bit of stability to my e-life. :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX