Hi new customer here... few concerns though.

Started by Richdog, Jul 23, 2006, 11:13:43

Previous topic - Next topic

AvengerUK

maxping

AvengerUK

Annoyingly, im not "allowed" to touch the master socket! - So, looks like ill be buying myself a speedtouch modem and tweaking it just to keep sync!

Richdog

Wow... since I got  "downgraded" back to 1MB Ipstream and my router has "settled" i'm seeing a massive difference in SNR... it's now 23db downstream!

ADSL MAX must have been killing my line stats, though downstreamattenuation is still very poor at 60.  Going to disconnect my bedroom and my dads bedroom extension sockets tommorrow... do you think this may make a difference too?

Rich. :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

mrapoc

so when do you reckon bt will ACTUALLY FIX max lol  :laugh:

Jeff

Quotethough downstreamattenuation is still very poor at 60

Doesn`t matter a jot ... you`re synced at 1Mbit, 60 is well in for that. It could shoot to 50 and you would not notice a thing ;)

Richdog

Quote from: Jeff on Aug 18, 2006, 21:18:49
Quotethough downstreamattenuation is still very poor at 60

Doesn`t matter a jot ... you`re synced at 1Mbit, 60 is well in for that. It could shoot to 50 and you would not notice a thing ;)

Yeah but I keep dreaming of 2MB lol. :(
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

Richdog

Quote from: Jeff on Aug 18, 2006, 21:25:40
Hey, just move house man!  :laugh:

lol, it's sorely tempting I tell ya!  Just out of interest what would actually happen if theoretically 2MB was enabled on my line with a current SNR of 25 and an att of 60? :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

Richdog

Hmm so Jeffmeister, another question if you will.  Can I get IDnet to limit the rate my router will synch at or is that only determined by the 10-day period?  What I can't understand is that while my BRAS was locked to 0.5MB, my SNR was still a despicable 6, dropping to 3.3 in the evenings.  Now i'm on a 1MB fixed my SNR is 4 times as high at 23!  Was the SNR determined by my router synch rate, despite my actual speed being half what it is now on regular 1MB?  or is there another reason my SNR was so low?

I'm a bit tentative in re-grading to MAX in case it does the same sort of thing.  It's confusing...
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

Quotemy SNR was still a despicable 6, dropping to 3.3 in the evenings

Mate, that`s better than what I have ... honestly. My SNR is atm 1 but my router has been synced and solid at 6.5Mbit for 240 hours. Looploss is 48dB. From experience and from listening to learned folk, I believe my Netgear router allows me to enjoy a higher than I should have sync with such a low SNR.

QuoteCan I get IDnet to limit the rate my router will synch at

I had heard that ISPs could ask BT to set a maximum sync rate ... I`ll say again, I heard ;)

QuoteWhat I can't understand is that while my BRAS was locked to 0.5MB

Your initial profile is determined by your looploss (also known as DS Margin). The higher it is, the lower you will sync.  I reckon ( I base this opinion from what I read and experience) that from the first day on MaxDSL, RAMBO will try to sync you at the highest possible sync rate that will support an SNR no lower than 6. Granted, SNR can drop ... your equipment and RAMBO will decide when they no longer want to be friends. Some routers can be mates with RAMBO with fewer SNRs floating around ;)

QuoteWas the SNR determined by my router synch rate

On IP and Data stream, SNR wasn`t even a factor. It was based on DS margin. MaxDSL technology is different. It is hard (for me, I don`t work in IT) to explain but basically, refer to above paragraph reply and I add that for every 0.8Mbit sync rate you drop by, SNR will go up by 6. So answer to your question is no ... and yes, if you know what I mean :)

QuoteNow i'm on a 1MB fixed my SNR is 4 times as high at 23

Yip, different technology. Answered above.

Quoteis there another reason my SNR was so low

Rich, from reading your previous postings on here I can conclude that you either live a long way from your exchange or the quality of your line is poor for whatever reason. Personally, I don`t think there`s a damn thing you can do about it, other than buy a Netgear router to keep your session alive for longer, but even then, you will get no more than 1.8Mbit stable ... is it worth it? Even then, your pings may be dire and errors many :\

Richdog

Ahh well.... guess i'll have to lump it, thanks for the explanations though J they were helpful.  What router have you got btw, and how the chuff do you get 6.5MB at 1SNR! :o?
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

Netgear of course ... DG632 too. Public opinion is that the 632 is rubbish. I reckon they just don`t know how to use it, I wouldn`t swap it for any other router in the world, another Netgear possibly, maybe ;)

Quoteand how the chuff do you get 6.5MB at 1SNR

Dunno, ask RAMBO!  :laugh: It`s up to 2 now!  :laugh:

Rich, buy one: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00022V29Y/202-8780651-4522253?v=glance&n=560798&s=gateway&v=glance

40 quid ... ADSL2 compatable too ;)

Richdog

Quote from: Jeff on Aug 18, 2006, 23:05:06
Netgear of course ... DG632 too. Public opinion is that the 632 is rubbish. I reckon they just don`t know how to use it, I wouldn`t swap it for any other router in the world, another Netgear possibly, maybe ;)

Quoteand how the chuff do you get 6.5MB at 1SNR

Dunno, ask RAMBO!  :laugh: It`s up to 2 now!  :laugh:

Rich, buy one: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00022V29Y/202-8780651-4522253?v=glance&n=560798&s=gateway&v=glance

40 quid ... ADSL2 compatable too ;)

Doesn't support P2P though according to this page? http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ShopGroupID=12&CategoryID=1&ProductID=1061
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

Read the whole topic m8 ;)

QuoteThere was an issue with P2P - Torrents would often make original firmware freak out. Netgear have solved this issue.

It is important that everyone, whatever hardware they use educates themselves how to use it properly.

For example, if you use P2P you have to configure your router to allow access to the software in the form of opening the port that the software is using ... makes sense. This is the same for all routers.

QuoteThe Port Forwarding does not work - It crashes if you get too many connections (i.e. above 15) to your PC

Rubbish  >:(

QuoteAbsolutely useless as an ADSL connectivity device Even after firmware upgrade requires power cycle every few hours as it stops responding

DNS also stops responding all the time

Again, rubbish.

QuoteWith Azureus, my connection works only 10min !! I need to make a cold boot every time.

Netgear can not sold this problem. They know this since may 2004. And no solution.

I beg to differ: http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102629.asp And there are another 2 firware upgrades beyond even this!!

Do I really need to go on??  :laugh:

I usually find that folk don`t even do a firmware upgrade properly and spout off ... these things can take up to 15 minutes to perform, the manufacturers software tells you not to touch anything until upgrade is complete ... after 10 minutes, folk are turning the power off and proclaiming that the router is cr*p ... like I said, learning to use your equipment properly is the first step ;)

Log files: How many folk have port forwarding configured with an active logfile? Why??

Inbound and Outbound: How many folk choose the wrong direction?  :laugh:

TCP and UDP: How many folk think these are political parties in Nothern Ireland?  :laugh:

One thing though ... Netgear CS is pants. But I`m here, who needs `em? ;)

Richdog

Where's the best place to get Cat 5 cable long enough to reach from the master socker to my bedroom (20m or so), will PCWORLD do it?
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Lawman

Quote from: Richdog on Aug 26, 2006, 07:48:15
Where's the best place to get Cat 5 cable long enough to reach from the master socker to my bedroom (20m or so), will PCWORLD do it?

Try ADSL Nation

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/default.php?cPath=21&osCsid=1d001e6c8fb1ce91f367f9e254031897
To dare is to Do

Richdog

I know I can get it online but I need it today, hence why I sugegsted PCWORLD.  Should have made that clearer. :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Lawman

Quote from: Richdog on Aug 26, 2006, 09:31:18
I know I can get it online but I need it today, hence why I sugegsted PCWORLD.  Should have made that clearer. :)

Just clear, would have done  :-X ;D
To dare is to Do

Richdog

Wow, got some Cat5e cable from my  cruddy local computer shop 9ofall places) and I can't believe the difference it's made!  I routed it from the router up through the ceiling and down into my room to my computer and compared to using the wireless card my connection is a bit faster, a lot more stable, and my pings seem to be better too.

Tommorrow is ADSL filter day, will be interesting to see how much it improves SNR and then I may re-grade back to MAX. :)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX