Potential bad news for us all

Started by Rik, Sep 07, 2007, 16:55:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The BBC is carrying a report stating that "The US Justice Department has said that internet service providers should be allowed to charge for priority traffic.

The agency said it was opposed to "network neutrality", the idea that all data on the net is treated equally. "

Given the influence the US wields, I see this as potentially bad news for the 'net and its users. :(

More coverage at El Reg.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

jupiter

I think that the US is bad news period (as they may say).
The internet makes the US authorities very nervous indeed, for 'homeland security' as well as other reasons.

I wonder too if they really can't handle too well the concept of open frontiers and something which has less commercial control over it than many (most?) other communication activities.  If they get a chance they will nail down the internet.

Rik

I agree with you, Jupiter (nice to see you, btw :)). The Americans have been giving strong signs of wanting to control the 'net for years - even if it isn't theirs. Given their way, they will strangle the rest of the world into submission. :(
Rik
--------------------

MoHux

The land of the free .....................  ::) ::)
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

cavillas

The land of the 3........Monkeys?  ;D
------
Alf :)

Kheldar

Simon

It all depends on what is classed as 'priority traffic'.  If this is downloads of films, music, etc, then it's not all that unfair.  As a member of IDNet, I could use 29.9Gb of download allowance each and every month, and still be paying the same as someone who only uses the service for basic surfing and emails, which probably wouldn't measure up to much more than 5Gb a month.  It could be argued that pay as you go metering might be the fairest solution all round.
Simon.
--

Lance

Quote from: Si6776 on Sep 07, 2007, 22:13:49
It could be argued that pay as you go metering might be the fairest solution all round.

It could be argued that we have this already, with differently priced packages having different download allowences, and then paying extra per month if you go over.

Quote from: Rik on Sep 07, 2007, 16:55:08
internet service providers should be allowed to charge for priority traffic.

And isn't this done already by BT on the supermax packages?
Lance
_____

john

I think everyones looking at it the wrong way round. If the pipes not big enough to handle all the traffic then they should make the pipe bigger rather than trying to use its restriction as a way to make more money.

Lance

Lance
_____

Rik

Indeed. The outcry from Tiscali et al when the BBC launched the iPlayer demonstrates the mind set, it's about time that unlimited meant unlimited and stopped these cheap and nasty ISPs in their tracks.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: jupiter on Sep 07, 2007, 18:30:48
I think that the US is bad news period (as they may say).

Agreed 100% ( nice to see you posting again jupiter, long time, no see ).

Great believers in Democracy, as long as it suits their plan.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Quote from: Inactive on Sep 08, 2007, 10:20:55
Great believers in Democracy, as long as it suits their plan.

Oh, be fair. The Yanks are great believers in democracy as long as they can define it and exercise total control over it.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Great track record in South America Rik.... ::) ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Not to mention Vietnam, Iraq, Italy. I think they invented the word "expediency". :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 08, 2007, 10:25:40
Oh, be fair. The Yanks are great believers in democracy as long as they can define it and exercise total control over it.  >:D
As Bill Hicks said "you are free to do as we tell you"
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

MoHux

Quote from: Rik on Sep 08, 2007, 10:25:40

It's the way they think no-one will notice it that astounds me!!  :o

Mo
:)
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Rik

I know, Mo. At the simplest level we see it with the price of software here. At one time, we might not have known how cheap it was in the States, but nowadays the internet stops the secrecy. Yet companies continue to tell us that charging twice the price for the same product is justified. Just wait till China takes over as the economic super power...
Rik
--------------------

CaptainSlow

Can't really say what I'd like as I'd surely get myself banned, and quite rightly really! ;D

However, suffice to say I am happy with America being where it is, and I'd like it very well if it would stay home and mind it's own! :laugh:

Rik

The Americans think home is anywhere they fancy going.  :(
Rik
--------------------