New name servers - faster than a speeding bullet

Started by Rik, Sep 10, 2007, 11:33:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

If you've read Simon's announcement here you'll know that IDNet have beefed up their DNS servers.

Having done some 'testing' (more strictly observation :)), I can confirm that the new servers seem to be faster than OpenDNS for me.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

RobMc

Just to confirm for everyone, will this be a transparent change or do we need to do anything to benefit from these new DNS Servers?

Rob

Rik

It's totally transparent, Rob. Just sit back and enjoy. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Morning all, I certainly have noticed the extra zip, well done IDNet.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

TopDog

Excellent.. I just started using OpenDNS servers last week and did notice an improvement which I mentioned on the TBB Forums but after the IDNet upgrade over the weekend I think I will revert back to IDNet DNS servers and give them a go :)

Quote from: Rik on Sep 10, 2007, 11:33:08
If you've read Simon's announcement here you'll know that IDNet have beefed up their DNS servers.

Having done some 'testing' (more strictly observation :)), I can confirm that the new servers seem to be faster than OpenDNS for me.

Gary

Morning Rik,  ;D things are much snappier than the Open DNS servers, enjoying the extra zip as we speak  ::) who needs a red and blue outfit and pants on the outside  :laugh:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Quote from: TopDog on Sep 10, 2007, 12:12:51
Excellent.. I just started using OpenDNS servers last week and did notice an improvement which I mentioned on the TBB Forums but after the IDNet upgrade over the weekend I think I will revert back to IDNet DNS servers and give them a go :)

Welcome to the forum, have a karma. :)

I switched back this morning, and it looks a bit snappier than OpenDNS to me so far.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Killhippie on Sep 10, 2007, 12:14:51
Morning Rik,  ;D things are much snappier than the Open DNS servers, enjoying the extra zip as we speak  ::) who needs a red and blue outfit and pants on the outside  :laugh:

:)

My sentiments entirely, Gary.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

ReDGryphoN

Ok,

Can one of you just explain to me how this better re pings etc, I am somewhat confused.
Will it improve the my pings to east coast USA servers by lopping off time this side of the pond ?

ReD

MAABOF
BILLION 8800NL USER FTTP

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
Henry David Thoreau

Lance

This shouldn't affect pings, ReD. What it should do is reduce the time taken from changing the www.websitename.com to a IP address, which is what the servers know and undersand. Basically, it should mke surfing that little bit quicker!
Lance
_____

cavillas

Tried the Open servers, changed back to Idnet servers and find them (idnet) a bit snappier .  Another weekend of work for SImon, Tim and company.  Do they never rest?  ;D
------
Alf :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Kheldar

nor intelligent cos i do not understand.

it appears everyone is now talking Latin like Rik  :o

but if it appears to have made things better/faster then i'm all for it  ;D

J!ll

Rik

Quote from: Kheldar on Sep 11, 2007, 22:13:49
it appears everyone is now talking Latin like Rik  :o

Let me put it this way, the dufus, which does the clever stuff whenever you type a URL, has been given a course of steroids and is now much faster. :)
Rik
--------------------

J!ll

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Den

I love the technical side you display Rik   :D
Mr Music Man.

mrapoc