Spam email filter

Started by Najarak, Sep 13, 2007, 22:00:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

It would be far easier if the spam filter could be switched off!  Oh well, I'm sure I can work round it somehow.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Give it time, there will be an easy solution along soon. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Well, I hope so, because I can't get it to work in Thunderbird.  :(
Simon.
--

Ray

Quote from: Si6776 on Sep 14, 2007, 19:47:48
Well, I hope so, because I can't get it to work in Thunderbird.  :(

Simon, I've just got it to work in Thunderbird, how did you try it, I added a new account via Account Settings and made sure that I selected IMAP as the account type.

Also worth looking at this link as well: - http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP
Ray
--------------------

Simon

That's what I did, Ray, and there are 18 unread messages in the Junk folder if I access by webmail, but for some reason, I can't get Thunderbird to see them.  Tearing what little hair I have left out!
Simon.
--

Simon

OK, I give up!  Can some kind soul please give a step by step guide as to how to set up an IMAP mail account with IDNet in Thunderbird?  What's the IMAP server directory, for a start?  I have set it up in TB, but all I am getting is server time outs, and it won't subscribe to any folders.
Simon.
--

Ray

Quote from: Si6776 on Sep 14, 2007, 21:47:43
OK, I give up!  Can some kind soul please give a step by step guide as to how to set up an IMAP mail account with IDNet in Thunderbird?  What's the IMAP server directory, for a start?  I have set it up in TB, but all I am getting is server time outs, and it won't subscribe to any folders.

OK, Simon, this should get you up and running: -

Setting up an IMAP email account in Thunderbird

1.Tools - Account Settings.

2.Add Account.

3.Email Account -hit Next button.

4.Enter your Name email Address you wish to use for account-hit "Next" button.

5.Select IMAP-and Enter incoming server imap.idnet.com - hit "Next" button.

6. Enter Incoming user name yourusername@idnet.com and Outgoing user name same as incoming - hit "Next" button

7.Enter account name- hit "Next" button.

8.Check all settings are correct and hit "Finish" button.

9.You should now get a new folder appear in the all folders panel.

10. Open this folder and right click on Junk folder and select subscribe you will then see a list of folders with check boxes by them just check the ones you wish to subscribe to.

11. Then try sending mail to the new account to test if you wish.
Ray
--------------------

Simon

Thanks Ray.  All OK up to point 10, but I don't get a Junk folder to right click on, and when I right click the main folder and select Subscribe, I just get a server time out.  It's now worse than it was before, in that I could see the Junk folder, and subscribe to it earlier, but it just wouldn't see the mail.  Now it won't connect at all.

I've had enough now, and I've lost patience with it, so I'm going to leave it till the morning.
Simon.
--

Ann

I don't understand why they would imagine that everyone would want their spam held on the server and only visible from the web account.  It doesn't make sense even to the most dimmest of the dim.  I am sooo frustrated as my ordinary email address was broken so I changed all my lists over and told everyone about this IDnet address only to find that posts sent from me BCCd to me get stuck in spam.  Now I can't use this address... I need a drink now and I don't have any...  :'(

Simon

It's certainly not ideal, and  I would still much rather have the choice of being able to filter my spam locally, through Mail Washer. One of the reasons I came to IDNet was for the idnet.com email addresses, but I hadn't realised that this is the way it's set up, and although I have now worked a way round it by using IMAP, I'm still not all that happy with the spam filter situation.
Simon.
--

colirv

I decided after the first time I changed ISPs that I would get myself a universal email address. I currently use Spamcop.net, but also have my own domain. IMHO it's the only way to go, and dead cheap nowadays.
Colin

Simon

I do have a mail.com address, which is universal, but to have POP3 access, costs about £10 per year.  I also have several other accounts, serving various purposes, one of which is a 'business' account, which I need to transfer from my old ISP to IDNet, and I also like to keep my primary ISP email address as private as possible, and only give it out to family and friends.  My concern with the spam filter is that they are usually less than 100% accurate, and this is why I would prefer to have the option to deal with things myself.
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Si6776 on Sep 16, 2007, 10:43:35
I do have a mail.com address, which is universal, but to have POP3 access, costs about £10 per year.  I also have several other accounts, serving various purposes, one of which is a 'business' account, which I need to transfer from my old ISP to IDNet, and I also like to keep my primary ISP email address as private as possible, and only give it out to family and friends.  My concern with the spam filter is that they are usually less than 100% accurate, and this is why I would prefer to have the option to deal with things myself.
Morning Simon, I agree some email filters are not that accurate, but since joining IDNet I have received a  lot of email and not one piece has gone to junk yet and no spam either but I accept some will at a point probably, I'm not sure what filtering system they use maybe Rik could enlighten us but It's pretty good, also I imagine they have to have blanket email protection to stop the network becoming bogged down with malicious messages thus reducing the throughput of genuine email which we do not want because of spam and virus ridden junk clogging the system, also if IDNets email became a target for spammers then our email addresses would end up as useless as say Freeserve or Wanadoo which as I have said before are blacklisted by many ISP's due to spammers taking advantage of the "as many email addresses as you want" offer and making those addresses useless for legitimate users, I had to abandon a five year old Freeserve address because of that very reason, my mail was not getting through. I can see you may want to lower the setting maybe but most ISP's have to have spam filters in place to ultimately protect its own email network, don't worry it works just fine from where I am standing so wait to your migration and see how it all goes, you wont be disappointed  ;D Right more coffee :laugh:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Quote from: Killhippie on Sep 17, 2007, 08:16:29
I'm not sure what filtering system they use maybe Rik could enlighten us

No...  :'(
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Gary, sorry I missed your post.  Your points are well made, and I am sure that everything will be OK when I migrate on Thursday.  Yes, THURSDAY!!  Only three days to go!! 
Simon.
--

Ann

Be sure to get up early.  When I migrated on 31st August it was up and running by the time I got up at half past 7!

Gary

Quote from: Si6776 on Sep 17, 2007, 23:37:54
Gary, sorry I missed your post.  Your points are well made, and I am sure that everything will be OK when I migrate on Thursday.  Yes, THURSDAY!!  Only three days to go!! 
No worries Simon, not long now, be interesting to see what speeds you get after training, I was told I would get 3mb but I get 4mb and I'm on a long wire with a lot of noise. I had only one loss of sync for about a second or so late on the first day of training (11pm ish), after that all was great, and considering the same product on Orange didn't work after 6pm and just and kept losing sync every few minutes it makes you wonder  ;)

Rik

IDNet put money in the meter.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

Gary

;D Orange's with their huge coffers couldn't find the key to unlock the safe to top up the meter so went back to bed I fear  >:D

Rik

;D

You may well have the answer there, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

Woohoo.. turned it off..  :banana2:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

And me.  New website kills all known spam filters.  Dead!  ;D
Simon.
--