Tiscali deal complete

Started by Noreen, Sep 15, 2007, 09:56:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

Dated yesterday................

Pipex Communications plc, a major provider of telecommunications and internet solutions including broadband, voice, web hosting and network services, today announces that further to its announcement on 13 July, it has completed the sale of its consumer Broadband and Voice division to Tiscali UK Limited for a total consideration of £210 million, on a debt-free basis, before adjustments.

Freedom2Surf is now part of Tiscali, and therefore freedom2surf and it's customers have no further connection with PIPEX Communications plc from this day forward.

Rik

A bad day for a lot of unsuspecting customers, Noreen. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Found out that Orange use Tiscali to install their LLU's, that's double trouble in my book >:D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Noreen

Quote from: Rik on Sep 15, 2007, 10:04:12
A bad day for a lot of unsuspecting customers, Noreen. :(
I'm feeling very smug though, probably several of IDNet's new members are too.  ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

And today is Battle of Britain day.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 15, 2007, 11:23:57
And today is Battle of Britain day.
I didn't know that! So whens battle of ISP day?

Gary

Quote from: Si6776 on Sep 15, 2007, 11:20:31
5 days to go...  ;)
Is that 5 days to go before you join IDNet Simon?

Rik

Quote from: Killhippie on Sep 15, 2007, 11:27:54
I didn't know that! So whens battle of ISP day?

March 10. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Si6776 on Sep 15, 2007, 11:35:17
Yup.  :)
You won't regret it, best thing I have done in years and i'm not blowing IDNets trumpet for the sake of it.
When I was with Orange they put me onto Adsl max and i had a 4.5mb line that would not stay stable after 6pm in fact it kept cutting out every 5 mins or so, in the end I ended up with a line almost as slow as my typing, Orange said they would do a line test....that never happened they said they would do one again after 48 hours, I called back and they said case closed as it had been over 24 hours since I had called! Then they said they could not do a line test as I was not using a live box (untrue) also I was once told it was bad as I was on dial up >:D I was turning very grey by this time, I had to call BT out and they were shocked and had no idea why my line was so unstable, I recouped the £120 call out fee after 6 months fighting and had my line put back to a fixed 2mb line. Now with IDnet my emails arrive (freeserve/Orange/wanadoo emails are blacklisted by many ISP's) , my line has a profile of 4000  and all was pretty much stable from start in my ten day training period. It really is such a massive breath of fresh air Simon you made a great choice. Above all no call centres and helpful advice, god that's a blessing.

Simon

Well, I have to admit, I am looking forward to the migration, and if it's as good as people here say it is, then I will be more than happy.  I would have been even happier if there was some webspace included.  ;)
Simon.
--

Lance

Quote from: Si6776 on Sep 15, 2007, 12:33:44
I would have been even happier if there was some webspace included.  ;)

I know that this has been thought about before, and most likely will be again in the future.
Lance
_____

Simon

Yes, if we keep mentioning it, it might not get forgotten about.  ;)
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 15, 2007, 13:13:52
It!  >:D
To be honest as long as "it" does not distract from a good service "it" will be acceptable  ;D what alway worries me is the more an ISP diversifies with tempting morsels for customers the more it seems to head downhill as it spreads itself thinner than Victoria Beckham on a sun lounger, then you end up with voip, webspace all frills more spills, if I wanted webspace I would go get a domain, I guess for me I prefer an ISP to offer internet connection with reliability and not much else, then I'll shop for add ons elsewhere. After a few nightmares with other ISP's I worry about the all you can eat offers. ::)

ReptiLizard

I agree with Killhippie entirely. I am really looking forward to my migration from....PIPEX/TISCALI and I would hate for my new home to start down the same route, eventually selling out to the above. Web space is kind of useful, although I have only ever used it to host photos. If we have static IP addresses does that mean we could point things such as Forum avatars/signatures to our own computers?

Lance

I think that if IDNet were to introduce webspace, it would be done so with the same high quality provision of service as the rest of the services they provide.

It could be that the reason they haven't introduced it yet is for the very reason above of not wanting to bring it in and then finding that they haven't got the ability (whether that be hardware, expertise etc) to do so.

Because we have static IP's it is quite possible to have a server for hosting avatars. It wouldn't be a good idea to host anything on a machine which isn't on 24/7 as, obviously, if you turn the machine off the outside world loses the ability to see your avatar etc.
Lance
_____

Gary

Quote from: Lance on Sep 15, 2007, 20:53:04
I think that if IDNet were to introduce webspace, it would be done so with the same high quality provision of service as the rest of the services they provide.

It could be that the reason they haven't introduced it yet is for the very reason above of not wanting to bring it in and then finding that they haven't got the ability (whether that be hardware, expertise etc) to do so.

Because we have static IP's it is quite possible to have a server for hosting avatars. It wouldn't be a good idea to host anything on a machine which isn't on 24/7 as, obviously, if you turn the machine off the outside world loses the ability to see your avatar etc.
I'm sure they will Lance, its just an inherent fear after past experiences, and also with current market trends to try and offer every home service possible, I look forward to the constant QOS shown by IDNet. ;)