Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Quote from: CaptainSlow on Sep 24, 2007, 08:11:08
Rik, I can give you a peering arrangement for Far Bletchley trench! ;D

;D

How are you? Long time no see.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

CaptainSlow

Quote from: Rik on Sep 24, 2007, 08:19:41
;D

How are you? Long time no see.

All in all I'm good!

Not been in here as IDNet are so good I just forget all about them! :angel:

Erm, I probably could have put that better I think! :D But you know what I mean  :laugh:

I went to log in to check my BW usage, and suddenly - new web page - had a look found out about web space and I've been ecstatic ever since.

Trouble sleeping Rik?  ;D

Rik

Quote from: CaptainSlow on Sep 24, 2007, 08:29:28
All in all I'm good!

Please to here it. :)

QuoteNot been in here as IDNet are so good I just forget all about them! :angel:

Erm, I probably could have put that better I think! :D But you know what I mean  :laugh:

Indeed we do, we just hang around here to scare new customers and put the world to rights.  >:D

QuoteI went to log in to check my BW usage, and suddenly - new web page - had a look found out about web space and I've been ecstatic ever since.

It's the first ISP I've been with where they keeping putting the services up rather than the prices.  ;D

QuoteTrouble sleeping Rik?  ;D

As it happens...  :'(
Rik
--------------------

CaptainSlow

Actually, I am moving soon, not quite sure when or where just yet but will be before Christmas hopefully and local still. I'll probably be a little quiet for a while longer while all that happens. Once that's done, I intend to put in a little more time on my own home turf here. So you have been warned!  :laugh:

Only news here is a dodgy hip to go with the knees (maybe I need leg lag for this coming winter?!) ;D

Rik

Quote from: CaptainSlow on Sep 24, 2007, 08:42:35
Actually, I am moving soon

Good luck - sorry about the reactivation fee. :(

QuoteOnly news here is a dodgy hip to go with the knees (maybe I need leg lag for this coming winter?!) ;D

We'll have to send Jill round with some fibreglass.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

CaptainSlow

Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that bit about reactivation, as it rasies an interesting point in general.

I'd imagine this is a good one to fully test IDNet's mettle. I'm not up to be awkward here, but they are so good with everything it will be interesting to see what they can do! (you got to keep testing things that appear to be unbreakable under any circumstance!)  ;)

I'm moving, but to the best of my knowledge, the connection is staying here, and I would be opening a new connection at the new location.

Things that spring to mind are these:

Can I retain my details at IDNet? I've become attached to my handle and all that, so can that bit be moved to the new connection, and then a new set applied to this existing connection?

I can't see anything for BT to get uppety about, so it's just an IDNet issue, assuming it is an issue at all, but knowing them they'll just take it all in their stride, as it's what they seem to do, astonishingly!  ;D

Maybe another thread would be in order? Don't intend or wish to hijack this one.

Rik

You should be able to move your account without any problems, Cap, but BT will charge an activation fee at the new house. :( You'll need to cancel the connection you have now, or there will be tags left on the line for the incomers.
Rik
--------------------

CaptainSlow

Well, my landlady is staying you see, I'm finally getting my own place! ;D

She's most likely to remain with IDNet for the foreseeable future as it's best not to fiddle about with stuff that's clearly not broken! :laugh: I'll leave my router here and replace with a new one at my new place.

Given it's not a regular move in the regular way, then that's why I felt it had some interesting and perhaps, as yet, unexplored wrinkles to it. :)

Rik

I think you had better talk to IDNet about how best to handle things. Potentially, you could end up with two new connection fees in a worst case scenario, it all depends on what you want to retain and how that can be organised.
Rik
--------------------

john

Didn't they already dig up all the roads and pavements to lay a cable for TV that not enough people wanted ? Everywhere round here's got the scars to prove it anyway.

Possibly the existing cable isn't good enough but presumably it could be upgraded with less trouble than digging everywhere up again. It used to belong to NTL but I believe it's now Virgin.

In my opinion essential services like communications infrastructure (as well as water and electricity etc) should never have been privatised. They could have contracted private companies to carry out maintenance but ownership should have been kept in the public sector. The government could then have implemented changes that suit the general public rather than shareholders.

Rik

Quote from: john on Sep 24, 2007, 13:02:02
In my opinion essential services like communications infrastructure (as well as water and electricity etc) should never have been privatised.

I agree, John, and there should have been a move towards shared facilities, eg ducting, where possible.
Rik
--------------------

john

Quote from: Rik on Sep 24, 2007, 15:00:19
I agree, John, and there should have been a move towards shared facilities, eg ducting, where possible.

Yes, shared facilities would have been much easier to implement if they all had the same owner (i.e. us)