Email down?

Started by Glenn, Oct 06, 2007, 08:10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip

has Trevor been resc......recus.....resusu......sobered up yet? :out:

Rik

Apparently not yet. Last time I heard from Simon, it was trying to re-build the array. That was about 90 minutes ago, and it had already been running for an hour. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MoHux

Quote from: Rik on Oct 06, 2007, 15:36:51
I've just spoken to Simon. Two disks in a RAID have failed (or the controller thinks they have). They have been replaced and the system is trying to re-build itself. He hopes to know more in an hour or so.

The reasons the status page has not been updated is because all other mail domains than idnet.com are unaffected. From what has been said, posting a mail failure would be a generic statement, thereby causing 'alarm' for people who are unaffected. The design of the status page is being thought about, therefore.

Finally, the server does also house the web & blog space, these will be restored once it's up and running again.

Serves you right::)
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Lance

Poor Trevor! Get well soon!
Lance
_____

Philip

Quote from: Lance on Oct 06, 2007, 17:14:48
Poor Trevor! Get well soon!

Poor Trevor, my a**e, he should take more water with it  :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: ;D

mrapoc

And this is what alcohol does to you kids...wait im the youngest here  :laugh: :laugh:

Probably wasn't a good idea to leave Trevor with a bottle of scotch whisky as you left the office last night simon..  :D

Rik

Er, with that spelling, Sam, it would have been Irish. :)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Quote from: mrapoc on Oct 06, 2007, 17:22:50
bottle of scotch whiskey as you left the office last night simon..  :D

I take it you mean whisky !!!

Rik beat me to it, oh well!
Lance
_____

Simon_idnet

The disk array on trevor has still not rebuilt itself. We dare not interrupt it as that will certainly corrupt the partition. As this has been going on for so long now we are beginning to fear the worst. We'll leave the array to run its course but in the meantime we're going to start the restore-from-backup process. This will likely take a couple of hours. Web space, blogs and email settings can be restored but not the mail store. Mail sent today, while the server has been offline, will be queued-up on some of the other servers.

We had not changed the Network Status page because there's only a choice between green or red buttons and this this is just one of our seven mail servers red did not seem appropriate. I'll ask if we can have a yellow button and some space for text explaining why a 'partial' status might be in effect.

regards
Simon

mrapoc

Cheers simon, its nice to know when things are going on  :)

Spelling corrected, sorry if i offended anyone even though the irish are a lovely bunch (crazy and drunk like most idnetters i kinda guess  :P)

Lance

Thanks for the update Simon.

Please can you clarify what is meant when you say the mail store can't be restored and the implications of this?

Lance
_____

Rik

Quote from: simon on Oct 06, 2007, 17:26:25
not the mail store.

So what exactly would be affected, Simon, mail that was in people's inboxes but not yet read?

Or what Lance said. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon_idnet

Email that was either read and stored on the server or had not been read before about 11am this morning. Any mail sent after that time should be queued on the store-and-forward servers.
Simon

Lance

Thanks Simon.

How is the array rebuild and the restore from backup going?
Lance
_____

Ann

Thanks for the update even if it's not very good news.  :)

Simon

Again, thanks for the update, Simon.  Do we have any idea how this happened?  I know discs can fail, but isn't it unusual for two to go at once?
Simon.
--

Rik

Not if they know I'm around, Simon. It's the name that does it. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Remind me not to come near Milton Keynes if ever I have to have a pacemaker!  ;D
Simon.
--

Simon_idnet

I wouldn't like to bet on the odds of two disks going at the same time which is why we are a bit sceptical. But that is what the RAID controller is asserting....
S

Simon

I hope you didn't have a weekend planned, Simon!  :(
Simon.
--

Philip

if he did, they have been well and truly scuppered :eek3:

sobranie

Wanna laff .... or maybe a good cry.
Just finished a reformat and could I get OE to work, could I bug...y!!!!!!!
Spent a happy 3 or 4 hours on it playing around with various settings .... not a chance.
Then .... Then......Then I dropped in here  :( :( :( :(
........... and now I'm going out to get well and truly p1ssed....... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Philip

Quote from: sobranie on Oct 06, 2007, 20:29:33
Wanna laff .... or maybe a good cry.
Just finished a reformat and could I get OE to work, could I bug...y!!!!!!!
Spent a happy 3 or 4 hours on it playing around with various settings .... not a chance.
Then .... Then......Then I dropped in here  :( :( :( :(
........... and now I'm going out to get well and truly p1ssed....... :'( :'( :'( :'(

don't you just love technology? :thup:

Simon

Quote from: sobranie on Oct 06, 2007, 20:29:33

I think that's what Trevor must have done last night!  ;D
Simon.
--

Philip

I'll nip over to Helston in the morning and give Sobraine a good kickstart up the jacksy  >:D