Seven patches to be released tomorrow by Microsoft

Started by Gary, Oct 08, 2007, 13:09:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Seven patches will be released tomorrow by Microsoft, these include critical patches for Outlook Express, sharepoint, Word 2000, and IE7 on Vista see the link below for more details.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138158-c,applicationbugs/article.html#
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Rik

It's the Forth bridge, Gary, get the country right.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Inactive

My sympathy goes to anyone on Dial-Up pay as you go, it must cost a fortune. :)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Some of the patches (I'm thinking of an HP one in particular) are too large to be downloaded in the time limit for a single connection (often 2 hours). Firms assume a BB connection far too readily, imo.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 08, 2007, 13:18:01
Some of the patches (I'm thinking of an HP one in particular) are too large to be downloaded in the time limit for a single connection (often 2 hours). Firms assume a BB connection far too readily, imo.
Alas in this day and age you need broadband to keep patched, imagine reinstalling Windows and patching it on dial up and that's including SP2 on the disc!

Rik

I suppose it's just possible to argue that, if you;re on dial-up, you're less vulnerable - but I don't really buy it. Patches ought to be made available on CD.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 08, 2007, 13:31:38
I suppose it's just possible to argue that, if you;re on dial-up, you're less vulnerable - but I don't really buy it. Patches ought to be made available on CD.
Look at all the dialers out there that can get a persons PC :( but yes patches should be made available on CD but I guess with things like Google Earth etc you are missing out without Broadband these days

Rik

There's no doubt that BB makes the net a much richer place, Gary, but some people will not make the move on cost or other grounds. They need to be considered by software vendors who now seem to work with an "everyone has broadband" model. (As do we who have slow connections!!  >:D)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

That very true, the slow lines are being left out in the cold or people who cant get BB at all way out in the country side unless they can get it via satellite at huge expense, but they follow a demographic and so many get left out sadly, they cater for the masses unfair as that may be  :(

Rik

Cherry picking comes to mind - just look at the unbundling. What we need is fibre to the home, or at least to the street - but that's another thread. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Indeed it is Rik and one that could go on for a very long time :-\

Rik

Yup. Start by dissolving Ofcom as the waste of time that it is...  >:D
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 08, 2007, 17:54:59
Yup. Start by dissolving Ofcom as the waste of time that it is...  >:D
I agree, like many things in the UK regulatory bodies more often debate till its way past the point of doing anything actually about it in the first place >:(

Rik

Or they take decisions which help neither industry nor consumer!
Rik
--------------------