router prob

Started by alcav, Oct 15, 2007, 13:55:02

Previous topic - Next topic

alcav

Hi all,

on two occasions over the weekend I have had to re-boot my Netgear router.

Anyone tell me what the reason for this is?,is it commonplace to have to do this occasionally?.

The router is less than 12 months old :-\

TIA....Alan

psp83

What netgear router do you have?

Rik

Are you using Routerstats by any chance, Alan?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

alcav

Hi

DG834G  v3

Alan

Rik

I use the same router, Alan, and rarely have to re-boot. It has happened when using Routerstats, which I found tended to confuse the router somewhat through the telnet access it can do. Otherwise, BT work on the line can cause confusion or mains spikes.
Rik
--------------------

alcav

Hi Rik..

yes I do use stats from time to time.......Alan

Rik

Try turning off the telnet interface, Alan - hit the cog, then Netgear Telnet tab and uncheck 'enable telnet'. That worked for me.

What firmware version are you running?
Rik
--------------------

alcav

Hi Rik

Try turning off the telnet interface, Alan - hit the cog, then Netgear Telnet tab and uncheck 'enable telnet'. That worked for me.

I found this to be already unchecked Rik................Alan

Rik

In that case, did you notice anything happening around the time you needed to re-boot, eg did the line drop, did the router freeze?

Which firmware version?
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Well I use one of these routers and I had this problem but since I've downgraded to firmware version V4.01.20, fitted a Clarity filtered faceplate to the master socket and replaced the lead between the router and phone socket I haven't had a problem. In fact the router has been connected continuously for 438 hours now, prior to these changes I was lucky if it would run for more than 150 to 180 hours without falling over and needing a reboot.
Ray
--------------------

Gary

I rarely have to reboot my router (DG834G) at all, maybe if there has been a power cut it may fall, but normally it runs for huge amounts of time,
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

alcav

What firmware version are you running?

Hi
It's the original firmware,don't know what that is :-[

Must admit tho' it has only needed rebooting 3 times since Jan of this year.The concern is that two of them were this weekend :-\

Alan

Edit: Markup sorted

Rik

When you log into the router, Alan, the firmware is own on the top line of the page.

What happened this weekend that forced you to re-boot, ie what symptoms were you seeing?
Rik
--------------------

alcav

What happened this weekend that forced you to re-boot, ie what symptoms were you seeing?

My tray icon was constantly searching,( i am wireless connected),could not achieve a connection to the web.

Cannot log in to router for the version No.,keeps on throwing my password out ::).........Alan

Edit: Markup sorted

Rik

I'm wondering if you have a wireless problem, Alan. Is there any way you can run a cable to see if things are more stable? Alternatively, try re-orienting the antenna to see if you get a better connection. You may be experiencing interference from a nearby router, are any visible to you?

The default password for a Netgear is password. If it was supplied by IDNet, it will be your login password. If neither works, then perhaps it would be best to do a hard reset, use a paper clip in the hole on the rear of the router, hold it down for 20 seconds, with power on, then release. The router will re-boot in factory condition. You'll need to enter your IDNet login details again, but it should auto-detect the line.
Rik
--------------------

alcav

Hi Rik...

I do get the occasional disconnect,mainly very late at night or early hours of the morning,very very rarely,if ever during the daytime.According to the stats graph my noise margin goes sometimes to -2 from around 20:00 onwards.I have chosen to ignore this tho' as I am very rarely on line late at night :)

I will give things a week or so,and if still probs I will take your advise and re-set. .We have lots of local building work going on ,so........who knows.

Rgds....Alan

ps would a different firmware version make that much difference?

Rik

Hi Alan

Your pattern is fairly normal - ADSL is more susceptible to noise during the hours of darkness, partly because of the laws of physics, partly because that's when most traffic is around, so cross-talk plays a part.

Some versions of the firmware are better than others. I recommend 4.01.20, 4.01.28 has some bugs. A new version, 4.01.30 is out and Gary is testing it at the moment.
Rik
--------------------

alcav

Many thanks for all your help Rik, and everybody else too. ;)

Best wishes.........Alan

Rik

Keep us posted how you get on, Alan. If you haven't already done it, removing the ring wire from terminal three on all your phone sockets might pay dividends.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 15, 2007, 17:02:29
A new version, 4.01.30 is out and Gary is testing it at the moment.

If she holds together without a warp core breach I will let you know  :hide:

Rik

My core has been warped for years...  :'(
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 15, 2007, 17:56:43
My core has been warped for years...  :'(
Shhhh people will want to look Rik :P

Rik

;D

Not if they want to preserve their sanity.  ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Well 24 hours on the new adsl firmware, had a power blip last night so dropped connection but recovered fine, but it didn't loose sync in the latter part of the evening when my line gets noisy as it sometimes does, but going to give it a week to see how it runs then pass comment :)

Rik

We'll be waiting. My line started getting noisy yesterday, then lost sync during the evening - enough to drop me a profile step. Back to normal speeds today, but of course the profile will take a while to follow. :(
Rik
--------------------