IDNet fastest on DSLZone UK

Started by Noreen, Oct 18, 2007, 11:20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

Hope that this hasn't been posted before. IDNet has the fastest average speed (8Mbps) for Oct so far on http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_speed.php

Rik

I'm amazed they published it, Noreen. Thanks. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

I noticed that as well last night Noreen, it must be because we keep checking our speeds on there and Rik doesn't. ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

My speeds impact badly on the average. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

It might be a good idea to remind members to check their speeds and rate IDNet at DSLZone UK and ThinkBroadband every month because like it or not potential members DO take notice of these sites. I'm sure that other ISPs have campaigns to do so.  ;)

Inactive

To be absolutely honest and totally selfish Noreen, I am not too bothered if IDNet do not get too many more customers, I like it just the way it is.

:D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

It's a bit of a grey area, Noreen. We are independent of IDNet, so (in some respects) it's not our job to campaign. OTOH, if members want to remind others of the need/opportunity to rate IDNet on other sites, I'd have no problem with it. For example, I received my reminder email this morning from ThinkBroadband to rate IDNet for October. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Malc

I can't wait to check my speed, hopefully tommorow.

Was downloading something last night on pipex at 10k/s with 200seeds on p2p.

Noreen

Quote from: Rik on Oct 18, 2007, 11:49:25
It's a bit of a grey area, Noreen. We are independent of IDNet
Oh, I didn't realise that.

Rik

IDNet provide the domain and the hosting, Noreen, but we are independent of them. For example, forum staff are all volunteers, and only staff can make changes to posts etc. IDNet are free to post, and we encourage them to do so, but their posts are the only 'official' statements. It's why Lance and I have the disclaimers we do in our signatures.

That said, we enjoy a close working relationship with the company, and aim to collaborate as much as possible. The forum is a major outlet for customer opinion, and often what we ask for here becomes reality - the detailed status page being the most recent example.

However, because we are independent, we can also criticise if the need arises - though it rarely does. :)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

I better not do a test there - it would bring down the average!
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Isn't it disgusting that that site STILL hasn't updated the info on IDNet's page?  >:(

Rik

It is, Noreen, for a site which claims to be impartial.  >:(
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Must admit my speed has increased over the last month my profile has gone up from 4500 to 5000, so much for what the other ISP's said as to why I could not get over a 2mb line  ::)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Mouseroo

I noticed that the Gadget Show have started a campaign to "get to the bottom of broadband speeds".  It's based on the fact that (as we hear so often on these forums) ISPs promise up to a certain download speed, and then use that caveat to justify slower speeds.
Other countries get much faster speeds for lesser prices, so I personally hope that something can be done about it.
I won't hold my breath, though   ;)

The link to the campaign is here: http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/speed_test.htm

Perhaps IDNet can get some well-deserved publicity from this.  :)
Andy
----------

Your ability to bang your head against reality in the hope that reality will crack first is impressive, but futile!

Rik

The problem is, though, Andy, that they are ignoring the laws of physics in their campaign.

It's appropriate to a few ISPs who don't deliver the bandwidth through their own networks, but for most users it comes down to their line quality. It would be more useful, perhaps, if they directed their campaign against BT and the poor infrastructure - with a swipe at the "unlimited" advertising while they are there.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I watched that programme and it seems to me that they'd achieve more for customer satisfaction by explaining and emphasising the words up to which so many people don't seem appear to understand. During the programme they showed at least two people who said "I'm paying for a 8Mb service but only getting (stated a slower speed)", in neither instance did the narrator query this but actually went on to use them as examples of how people are getting bad service.

Rik

I agree completely, Noreen. It seemed to be a gimmick of a feature, with no attempt to understand the underlying technology, which only BT can change. Pester your ISP with emails because you don't sync at 8128. Yeah, right...  >:(
Rik
--------------------

Lance

I suppose some of the problem is that nasty cheap ISPs throttle the connection. Maybe it's this sort of behaviour, certainly as well as the physics, that needs to be highlighted.

I agree though, that the majority of the problem is people not understanding the words: up to.
Lance
_____

Noreen

Of course it's possible that some ISPs don't make it easy to find the up to on their sign-up pages or then explain what it means.

Rik

Many don't, Noreen, just as many headline 'unlimited' but then define the word in a way that most people wouldn't. :(
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I think anyone would struggle to find a truly **unlimited** service these days, unless you want to pay megabucks, and even then, I'm sure there would be some sort of FUP to negotiate.
Simon.
--

Rik

Exactly, Simon. So how the ASA and Ofcom can find nothing wrong with ads that offer limited unlimited broadband defeats me completely. Classic "regulators working for the industry" syndrome.  >:(
Rik
--------------------