Hi All!

Started by Conrad1, Oct 27, 2007, 21:28:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad1

Just saying Hi!

After having bad "traffic Shaping" experience with Plusnet, followed by a bad "we're going to double your monthly subscription fee without telling you" experience with Newnet, I have been without broadband now for over six months (how have I survived!?!?). Last night I decided enough was enough and had a look for a provider that could offer everything I want (such as a static IP, reasonable download limit, no "traffic Shaping" nonsense etc.) and I came up with a few that were WAY over my budget, and then I found IDnet!  Woohoo!  I placed my order last night and am now going to sit back and wait for something to happen...  Does anyone know how long it takes to activate from the initial order?

I just hope everything goes smoothly now... also, I have opted for the "free one month trial" option on the £24.99 a month package.  Can anyone tell me whether I still need to pay an activation fee for the free trial (no-one has got back to me yet, even though it was nearly 24 hours since I placed the order - am I being a bit too optimistic?  ;) )

Thanks,

C.

Philip

welcome Conrad, you wont regret joining IDNet :) as for the activation fee, I dont know the answer to that one, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help.

Den

Hi Conrad and welcome to best ISP ever. I am sure lots of members will be along soon, as the older ones wake up and log on.

Also sure you wont regret joining a great forum with some very nice (and funny) folk. No doubt Idnet office will contact you on Monday as the forum takes over out of office hours unless we have a really major problem and then it's all hands to the pump (only seen it happen once and was resolved so quick it was so strange after eezeedsl).
Mr Music Man.

Noreen

Welcome Conrad.

Simon

Hi Conrad, and have a welcome Karma!  :)

From the FAQs:

QuoteIf you do not currently have an active broadband service on your line and cannot provide a MAC (Migration Authorization Code) you will need to submit a new provision order, this type of order normally completes in 5-7 working days and will incur a £47 activation fee charged by BT.

I would assume this would also apply to the free month offer, as IDNet would still have to pay BT to activate the line.

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Kheldar

yep with a mac it should be free from wot i understand.

if you cannot, like i could not thanks to the wa*kers at orange you have to pay the £47.

but you'll njoy it here.

oh and idnet is not bad either   :P

Rik

Hi Conrad

Welcome to the forum. :)

Like the others, though the website is not clear on the subject, I'd expect you to have to pay the activation fee, as IDNet have to pay BT to do the work. If you haven't heard on Monday, give them a ring (no queues, no menus, freefone number) and they'll be able to answer all your questions including your activation date.

Once your account is set up, and you have the login details, you can visit your account page and set up your email - this will be immediately active, so you can start telling people your new address.
Rik
--------------------

Conrad1

Thanks for info, and for the welcome!

If I have to pay an activation fee, then that's okay.  I did have a MAC code, but as I said, I haven't used the line for internet for about six months so I very much doubt whether it is still valid.

I am SO looking forward to having broadband back!  Can't wait!

I need to get my modem plugged in ready for the 10-day settling down period I guess.

colirv

Quote from: Conrad1 on Oct 28, 2007, 07:37:52
I did have a MAC code, but as I said, I haven't used the line for internet for about six months so I very much doubt whether it is still valid.

It won't be - MACs are only valid for 30 days.
Colin

cavillas

Another old one waking. ;D  Welcome Colirv.  Once connected you will experience the way the internet should be, run by people who listen to you.
------
Alf :)

colirv

Er ... wake up, Alf!
Colin

Inactive

Welcome Conrad1

;)

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

cavillas

Quote from: colirv on Oct 28, 2007, 09:45:11
Er ... wake up, Alf!

Ssshhh!!!  I'm going back to sleep now.  Life's so tiring when you get past 45. >:D :out:
------
Alf :)

Kheldar

i think 45 qualifies as young on these fourms given the age range.  :angel: :o

Inactive

Quote from: Kheldar on Oct 28, 2007, 10:16:31
i think 45 qualifies as young on these fourms given the age range.  :angel: :o

OUCH !!!! ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Don't worry, In, he wasn't talking about this place - after all, we're a forum;D
Rik
--------------------

Kheldar

Quote from: Inactive on Oct 28, 2007, 10:38:28
OUCH !!!! ;D
hit the spot eh In  ;)

Quote from: Rik on Oct 28, 2007, 10:49:25
Don't worry, In, he wasn't talking about this place - after all, we're a forum;D
ooops !

i was trying to get into TF2 with a few people at the same time as posting !
bah cant edit it either on this forum  :P

Rik

Quote from: Kheldar on Oct 28, 2007, 11:56:22
bah cant edit it either on this forum  :P

You can, but only for a few minutes. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Kheldar

Quote from: Rik on Oct 28, 2007, 11:57:30
You can, but only for a few minutes. ;)
yeah, strange idea tbh.

Rik

Not really, Steve, it happens in most forums. If we allow indefinite editing, someone can start a contentious thread, say, then when there's a bunch of replies, edit their post to something innocuous.
Rik
--------------------

Kheldar

have to say this is the only forum on which i remember having a time period for editing.

so seem unusual to me.

Conrad1

Stop with the food comments already!

I've had an e-mail from IDNet!  My line is due to be activated on the 5th of Nov (by 6pm!). I even have my IP address already!  This is GREAT! I just hope my delivery of shielded modem extension cable arrives before then so I can start as I mean to go on.

Question:  If, during the first 10 days, my setup is not 100% (i.e. Maplin cable does not arrive in time, and I resort to using a dodgy old bog-standard telephone extension cable) - will that hobble my connection for good, or does it just mean I will have to wait a few days extra for the profile to catch up with the new sync rate once the good stuff does arrive?

I'm SO looking forward to having my own broadband again! - I think I'm going to have to go and eat some chocolate cookies... DOH!

J!ll

Give up! there's not hope for this lot!  :crazy:

Simon

I think I would probably wait until I had all the correct cabling that I was going to permanently use.  Maplins are usually pretty good, so you should get your new cable in time, bearing in mind you have a week to go yet.

Plenty of time to finish those cookies... 
Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: Conrad1 on Oct 29, 2007, 22:59:51
Question:  If, during the first 10 days, my setup is not 100% (i.e. Maplin cable does not arrive in time, and I resort to using a dodgy old bog-standard telephone extension cable) - will that hobble my connection for good, or does it just mean I will have to wait a few days extra for the profile to catch up with the new sync rate once the good stuff does arrive?

The training period is something of an urban myth. The only thing set in stone during that period is the maximum stable rate and, derived from it, the fault threshold rate. For the rest, the speed and stability of your line will be monitored continuously throughout the life of your connection, and any adjustments needed will be made.

You've already got rid of the bell wire, so the things you can do to help yourself are:

a) make sure you have every device that connects to the phone line attached to a filter
b) if necessary, invest in something like the ADSL xf-1e filter
c) if you have a lot of hard-wired extensions and an NTE5 master socket, consider replacing the face plate with a filtered one
d) keep the modem/router as close to the socket as possible, a short RJ11-RJ11 lead is preferable
e) avoid dropping and re-connecting - if the line sees 10 or more disconnections an hour, it regards it as a sign of instability and tends to kick up the target noise margin and/or switch on interleaving

If you have to use a telephone extension lead, avoid a flat one like the plague, they are very prone to noise pickup.

Rik
--------------------