Speed test on DSL ZoneUK

Started by Noreen, Oct 29, 2007, 10:12:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I think it just goes to demonstrate that speed tests are not a good test of speed!
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DAB Badboy

Quote from: Si6776 on Oct 29, 2007, 17:11:49
Sorry folks... 

You can't go above 7150 (as that is what BT limit the connection from your exchange to ISP to) ...

Simon

I know my reading is false, but how is it explained?
Simon.
--

Rik

Most speedtests simulate a download, by a variety of methods. It could just be that that site uses a mthod that wildly inflates the speed you see. I'm convinced that some speed test sites want to give you a high figure so that you'll use them more often.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Basically I only use the one test site so that I can occasionally compare my results for my connection. In that case, presuming that the technicalities of the test site remain the same, I think that they serve a purpose. I was pleased that the result posted yesterday was the highest ever achieved by my connection and was considerably higher than when I was with f2s LLU using the same test site.  :)

Rik

I agree with your approach, Noreen. Speed tests are best taken, imo, as indicators of trend rather than absolute values. Using the same site will give you a view of what your connection is doing over a period.
Rik
--------------------