New Idnetter - Modem not connecting

Started by rickus, Aug 12, 2006, 11:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

rickus

Hi

First post here.

Very impressed with the customer service so far and with this forum - however I have a problem. Spoke to Miriam about it late yesterday and I want to try out a few things over the week-end either to sort it out or to have done enough for BT to deal with it without charging me a fortune.

I have been without broadband since e7even stopped operating on 1 July. No MACs from them and it's taken all this time to get a cease on the line. It should all be set up now but I cannot get my Fujitsu FDX310 USB modem to connect. The power light comes on but the data light just flashes.

The modem has worked fine before and should cope with up to 8mb bit I have not been on maxdsl before. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and that has made no difference - the latest drivers available seem to be from 2002.

If it is not the modem I guess it must be the line, either my end or BT's. Miriam has asked me to try someone else's modem to prove this to BT and I am trying to work out who I can borrow one from.

I have tried the modem with all phones disconnected. My telephone line comes into an old bakelite unit (about 6" by 1") - i.e. it just has cables running off it. I  have 3 different extensions running off it and I think they are all wired up to the same points in the bakelite box.  I have tried the modem from two of the points and it does not reach the third one. 

Any ideas of anything else I should try (e.g. the advanced modem settings, the wiring in the bakelite box)?

Is this most likely a problem at my end?
What would be involved in getting BT to sort it out - do you have to wait a ling time for them? How do I persude them not to charge me? Should they be replacing my bakelite box anyway as a matter of course?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks
rickus

cosmicdance

If the data light is flashing then that could mean there is no broadband on the line.
Have you signed up to Idnet and they have connected you?
The light will stay solid once it is running braodband on the line.

Andy
Like barmy animations? Visit www.sbsq-productions.co.uk

rickus

Thanks Andy - but I am pretty sure there is broadband on the line.

Get this message from the Prodigy Networks checker:
" Line status - This line has ADSL fully installed on it. There are no open orders currently on this line."

Cheers
rickus

maxping

My data light on my USB modem is blinking, does this explain why it is not working properly? 

A flashing data light indicates it is trying to establish a connection with the exchange. This could be failing for a number of reasons.

.There is a problem at the exchange, you will need to speak to customer support.
· You are not getting enough power to your USB modem.
· Broadband has not been enabled on your line.
· Your USB Broadband modem has not been installed properly.
· Your USB Broadband modem is faulty (very unlikely, only suspect this if all other avenues have been investigated).

cosmicdance

If your braodband was working fine with that last company then the physical connection should still be fine.
I know there is a waiting period after you have signed up for broadband for it to actually start.
When I signed up with Wanadoo couple of years ago I had to wait about a week for it to start the ADSL.

With Idnet though they gave me a date and it actually started a day earlier!

Did you get a date when they said it would be running?

Andy
Like barmy animations? Visit www.sbsq-productions.co.uk

karvala

If it's at all possible, I would suggest trying with a router.  I had a new connection this past week as well, and I have a USB modem and a router, both of which previously worked fine on a fixed-rate 2Mbs, and both of which are certified for MAX as well.  However, when I tried to connect using the USB modem, it wouldn't connect at all (sync problems, and on the rare occasion that it stayed in sync long enough, login problems), but connecting by the router worked absolutely fine, with a rock-solid connection.  Obviously, your problem appears to be somewhat different (no sync ever), but even so, testing with a router if you can get your hands on one would rule out any problem with the entire USB connection system (not just the modem, but USB controller and power requirements as well, which are pretty flaky on many systems).

B52

This is from the FAQs of NewNet

I would say that your USB modem is not up to it. Also is it compatible with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0.

QUOTE:
Will my existing ADSL equipment work with ADSL Max?
    Most ADSL equipment (modems and routers) is likely to work with ADSL Max. Users with routers are likely to find fewer problems when regrading to Max services than users with USB modems.

Many broadband (USB) modems may be expected to support maximum line speeds of up to 4 Mb/s but may not support higher speeds. Users of USB modems should ensure that the latest drivers are installed (refer to equipment manufacturer's website). Some older USB modems may not be suitable for Max services - check the manufacturers specifications to check whether your equipment is able to work at speeds above 2Mb/s. Users with USB modems connected to USB1 ports are unlikely to see any benefit from a Max service.

USB modems are likely to require manual re-connection following any break or interruption to broadband service and require the computer to be switched on at all times.

NewNet recommends that users upgrade to a router and ethernet connection in order to experience the optimal ADSL MAX experience.

rickus

Thank you for your help everyone.

I spoke to Miriam again this morning who did another line check that came back as 'inconclusive'. That was good news as it meant she could report that to BT. I popped out for an hour and when I got back there was a nice solid light on the modem and all now seems to be working OK.

Cheers
rickus

maxping

Jeff

Aye, they keep coming ;)

Welcome aboard matey :)