PC Pro

Started by colirv, Nov 07, 2007, 12:52:49

Previous topic - Next topic

colirv

Judging from this item on ISPreview there can't be many IDnetters who read PC Pro.
Colin

Rik

I don't anymore, I got fed up with its Evesham love affair. :(

(Site seems to be down at the moment...)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Site has been down all morning. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

colirv

Site back up now.
Colin

Rik

Not from here, Colin. :(
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

colirv

Well I've just reloaded the link I gave you - twice. And I've opened it in IE as well. So definitely not cached. So definitely working now!
Colin

Rik

Odd, it still times out for me in both FF and IE, Colin. Are you using the IDNet DNS servers?
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Same here in IE6, FF and Opera, I visit that site almost every day.

colirv

Quote from: Rik on Nov 07, 2007, 15:48:41
Are you using the IDNet DNS servers?

No, OpenDNS. The news item is actually on ISPreview's home  page, if you can get there.
Colin

Inactive

As is the following;

Most of our regular readers are probably aware that the site has been suffering short but random periods of outage since we upgraded the server to a faster platform two months ago. Today the site was shifted onto completely new hardware in an attempt to resolve said problems.

Sadly the host failed to inform us that the process would take place today (we had hoped to get it done during the night) and as a result we have been offline for a few hours since just after 10:30am this morning. However this process is now complete and we will begin monitoring to check for reoccurrence of the problems.

Now back to ISP news..

;)

Rik

I still can't get there...

Anyone got the IP address handy?
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Rik

I don't appear able to resolve it, In, nor to ping it. I was looking for the numeric IP address (shown if you ping the URL), so that I could see whether it was DNS or something at my end.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Works fine for me now Rik, in FF and Opera, I wouldn't know what a ping was if one run over me.

Another link;

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

Rik

No, still times out.  :'(

Hit Start > Run, type CMD and hit ENTER. In the resultant window, type ping www.ispreview.co.uk.

It will do four pings, reporting times, but it will also show you the IP address.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Did that..nothing apart from a DOS Box..I did warn you Rik..  ;D

Rik

Problem solved - I flushed DNS... Why didn't I think of that earlier.  :-[
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Great, toilet training required, that's all. ;)

Rik

;D

The ping result should have looked like this, btw:

ping www.ispreview.co.uk

Pinging www.ispreview.co.uk [87.106.71.82] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 87.106.71.82: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=56
Reply from 87.106.71.82: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=56
Reply from 87.106.71.82: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=56
Reply from 87.106.71.82: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 87.106.71.82:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 44ms
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

I followed your instructions to the letter Rik, zilch, nothing, zero, bugger all.

Rik

There should have been an added ENTER after the URL, sorry.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Nov 07, 2007, 17:07:14
There should have been an added ENTER after the URL, sorry.

Glad it was your fault and not mine Rik, that makes a change. ;)

colirv

Right, well IF you've quite finished messing about trying to find the site, the point was that it was surprising that IDNet didn't get a mention in the top 12 best ISPs, whereas Plusnet and Sky, for example, did!
Colin

Inactive

Quote from: colirv on Nov 07, 2007, 22:53:29
Right, well IF you've quite finished messing about trying to find the site, the point was that it was surprising that IDNet didn't get a mention in the top 12 best ISPs, whereas Plusnet and Sky, for example, did!

I did read it, but I always take them surveys with a huge pinch of salt. ;)