Up to 8 meg training period - Do I leave router on 24/7 ?

Started by wal, Aug 16, 2006, 19:38:52

Previous topic - Next topic

wal

Hello , I've recently migrated to IDNet which was completely hassle free , question is while I'm on the 10 day training period ( which I'm half way through ) should I be leaving the router ( Netgear dg834 ) on at all times will turning it off affect the training period ? I have got into the habit of just turning it on when I'm on tinternet or xbox live.After long periods it gets warm and I'm concerned it might set on fire  :-\

Any suggestions please

sobranie

I'm concerned it might set on fire 

------------------------------------------------

Sounds just like 'Dell batteries'   ;D ;D

Many schools of thought on router on or off.
FWIW I left mine on and mate down the road didn't.
Result:  No difference!

Spedge

Scott

When I migrated to MAX I left mine on, I found on the morning of the upgrade it had disconnected itself then reconnected at the new speed...then a few days of ups and downs before settling.

Me...I'd recommend leaving it alone. Let it do it's thing in peace  :laugh:
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

Richdog

Quote from: wal on Aug 16, 2006, 19:38:52
Hello , I've recently migrated to IDNet which was completely hassle free , question is while I'm on the 10 day training period ( which I'm half way through ) should I be leaving the router ( Netgear dg834 ) on at all times will turning it off affect the training period ? I have got into the habit of just turning it on when I'm on tinternet or xbox live.After long periods it gets warm and I'm concerned it might set on fire  :-\

Any suggestions please

I think it needs to be on 24/7 during the training period as this is what determines what your final BRAS profile will be.  If the router is disconnecting then connecting BT will see that as instability and reduce your speeds to compensate.  This is why I was locked at 0.5MB before I was downgraded to 1MB IPstream.

EDIT - Just been PM'd by jeff to tell me the above is wrong so I apologise, however this is what Miriam told me on the phone, that my modem disconnecting frequently during the traing period had caused them to set it to the lowest speeds! :D
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

QuoteJust been PM'd by jeff

Aye, so you could quietly edit yer post ...  ::)

Miriam may have been right. But in the context that because your router could not hold sync and therefore disconnected, RAMBO would drop your sync down by 0.8Mbit which would in turn raise your SNR by 6 and take it from there ;)

The whole point of training is to obtain the minimum sync rate which is stable. Many users have reported starting off on day one synced at say 7.6Mbit but it dropped down to 6Mbit a day later. If it drops no lower than 6MBit, then this is your MSR ... but if conditions are right, you may sync at 7.6Mbit

Richdog

Quote from: Jeff on Aug 18, 2006, 22:00:09
Aye, so you could quietly edit yer post ...  ::)

lol, i'm never one to cover my tracks. :p

QuoteMiriam may have been right. But in the context that because your router could not hold sync and therefore disconnected, RAMBO would drop your sync down by 0.8Mbit which would in turn raise your SNR by 6 and take it from there ;)

Well, my problem was that I had disconnected it myself multiple times as the Belkin wireless would freeze requiring a reboot, so she told me that this is what had caused the locled profile and my misery.

QuoteThe whole point of training is to obtain the minimum sync rate which is stable. Many users have reported starting off on day one synced at say 7.6Mbit but it dropped down to 6Mbit a day later. If it drops no lower than 6MBit, then this is your MSR ... but if conditions are right, you may sync at 7.6Mbit

Gotcha. ;)
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

Again, she`s right. I would suspect that your Belkin router (Dutch built, I lived in Holland for 5 years and unless the build includes hops and malt, it won`t be done well ;) ) has a problem with handling a low SNR ... it doesn`t know what to do so just packs up ... RAMBO tries to renegotiate with it and can`t and keeps lowering your profile  :-\

Think of all the peeps with modems rather than routers. Modems are usually USB powered so in order to keep the RAS alive, the punter would have to keep the PC switched on all the time too ;)

Richdog

lol, funnily enough my router has the broadcom chipset and is supposed to be very good.  Gues soemtimes you're governed by sods law...
Belkin 7633 ADSL Router
IDNet Home MAX

Jeff

I can only speak from experience ... sure, I read a lot and if trusted sources proclaim good things, I convey thier experiences. ;)