IP Address

Started by maxping, Aug 10, 2006, 20:37:04

Previous topic - Next topic

maxping

Is it possible to have a dynamic ip address instead of a static one?

Jeff

Technical answer coming here:

No

maxping

Technical reply coming here , oh bollox  ;D

AvengerUK

Out of interest, why would you want a dynamic ip?

Jeff

I was gonna ask ... but I`m not as nosey as you Av  :laugh:

maxping

Quote from: AvengerUK on Aug 11, 2006, 23:08:26
Out of interest, why would you want a dynamic ip?

I was kicked from a game server ages ago and i cannot contact the admins to see what happened.

I think it uses your ip so if i got a new one i could get back in.

I'm not after a dynamic ip just a different one.

This is probably not as easy as i think it is and probably not possible but its worth the ask  ;)

Jeff

Ask Miriam, you may be able to get a different IP ... thing is, the server may have banned a whole block of IPs ;)

Scott

Quote from: maxping on Aug 10, 2006, 20:37:04
Is it possible to have a dynamic ip address instead of a static one?

Would one of the proxy services available do the job Max...dyndns etc ? I read a similar thread to this a while back - someone was a bit 'para' about the nasty men knowing who he was and what he was doing from his IP so was after some degree of mobility.

As someone pointed out to him even on Dynamic IP, the activity logs are still exactly that...logged ! And while his address might then not be open to a determined DOS (this was his main issue) it was also mentioned that the average time for a machine to receive it's first probing (ooer !) after going on line is sub-30secs !

Sure there must be some proxying or cloaking service that'll sort you out - may mess with your pings though  :(
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

maxping

Thanks for the tip mate but i have been told it would increase my ping by so much it would not be worth it.
I will give it a try and see if it works.
I think i will send CS as suggested above . it may be possible.

maxping

Just had a email from miriam saying it is possible to change and asking why i want to.
Fingers crossed it may be sorted soon.
Another example of great CS  ;)

Scott

Sweeet !
Nicely done Max.
S
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

maxping

I haven't got my reply yet and my fingers are still crossed  ;D

Jeff

maxping

Has a chat with Miriam and she said it can be done but they would have to talk to the game sites admins, this is a bit of a catch 22 as if i could speak to them i wouldn't  need to change ip so i said i would leave it fr now.

karvala

Surely you could let them try to talk to the games site admins (and I can see why they would want to), and when they find they're unable to talk to them in the same way that you are (presumably), I imagine they would conclude that your request is reasonable, and give you the new IP.

maxping

I have found a couple of regular CoD2 servers and one has just started a CoD UO server (this was the game type the other server was running) so I'm not that bothered any more.