latency/ping

Started by anz1066, Nov 14, 2007, 20:48:03

Previous topic - Next topic

anz1066

hi all, i`m thinking of migrating to Idnet. can anyone here give me an idea of the sort of ping they get when playing onling. and if you can the sort of speeds you get. my current provider is really bad with an average ping of 250ms. i won`t say the name, but the guys got a beard lol
thanks in advance

Lance

Welcome to the forum, anz1066 - have a welcome karma!

I don't play online but I know a few people round here do.

I normally ping IDNet around 17ms, and the BBC around 18ms. As for speeds, IDNet do not block, throttle or restrict your connection in any way, and guarantee no contention within their network. This basically means the speed you get is limited to what your physical BT line can support, and congestion at your local BT exchange.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

anz1066

thanks for the reply, i am about 440 yards from my exchange, my line will take up to 7.5 megs ADSL max. there is no congestion.

merlin

hi anz1066 about the beard , i did,nt know colonel saunders of chicken fame ran an isp !!! ;D

about idnet , do,nt hesitate, best thing i ever did with computers, full speed no restrictions, no throttling, go !! go!! and enjoy  :thup: :thup:

anz1066

lol nice one m8, very hard to choose ISP`S nowadays. i have made that many complaints, i`ve lost count.

Simon

If you join IDNet, you can stop counting.  ;)
Simon.
--

anz1066

i hope so, i`m waiting for my mac code. zzzzzzzzz
thanks

Rik

Then you're just a few days away from paradise. Welcome to the forum. :)
Rik
--------------------

anz1066

thankyou, i`m hoping it`s a few days. my isp is very slow. bit like their trains.
there you go, a cryptic clue lol

Rik

Legally, they must give you the MAC in five working days - if they try and stall, just go straight to Ofcom, letting them know you are doing so.

This link will interest you:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEAVpuZuZVVgTgGBRZ
Rik
--------------------

ducky22

Where are you located in the UK?

The further you are geographically from London, the higher your pings will be.

I live in Scotland and I ping the bbc at 25ms. My previous ISP, UKOnline, pinged it at 35ms.

Make sure you ask for interleaving to be disabled when you move! That was latency will be at its lowest.

anz1066

thanks for the link m8, i did mention the rule in my email. that`s a big fine. they screwed up right from the start. recently they changed my payment details form direct debit to credit card. clever, considering i don`t use a credit card.

anz1066

hi ducky, i live in Fife scotland m8
my average ping is 250 ms, if i can get it down it is 60-80 ms

Rik

Quote from: anz1066 on Nov 15, 2007, 02:02:55
recently they changed my payment details form direct debit to credit card. clever, considering i don`t use a credit card.

If they did it without consulting you (which they must have done), they are probably in breach of contract. If you want to make them uncomfortable, have a word with your local CAB or trading standards.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: anz1066 on Nov 15, 2007, 02:04:28

OK, I'm nearer London, but with interleaving on, I ping at around 22ms to the BBC.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

I've just done a ping to the Beeb (through my congested exchange)...

C:\Users\Lance>ping www.bbc.co.uk -n 10

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.251.202] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.251.202: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.58.251.202: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.58.251.202: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.58.251.202: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.58.251.202: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.58.251.202: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=250

Ping statistics for 212.58.251.202:
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 15ms
Lance
_____

ducky22

Quote from: anz1066 on Nov 15, 2007, 02:04:28
hi ducky, i live in Fife scotland m8

ahhh I used to be a fifer til I moved to Dundee. :-D.

Providing you don't have interleaving turned on you should get around the same as I do. As a note my exchange is congested badly at the moment.

250ms does seem very, very high... Have you checked there is nothing in the background using all your bandwidth? Not that I'm trying to get you to stay! I've only been with IDNet for a month and already love it.

Rik

Quote from: ducky22 on Nov 15, 2007, 09:56:59
ahhh I used to be a fifer til I moved to Dundee. :-D.

A Bonnie city. ;)

QuoteI've only been with IDNet for a month and already love it.

It tends to get people like that.  :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:
Rik
--------------------

merlin

anz1066 have you ever heard of even one complaint about idnet ? my money says you have'nt

btw how can you tell if iterleaving is on, and if it is, how can you turn it off ???

trains,trains, did,nt know isambard kingdom brunel was still around, am i getting close ???

Rik

Quote from: merlin1 on Nov 15, 2007, 10:02:09
btw how can you tell if interleaving is on, and if it is, how can you turn it off ???

What router do you have? You can often get the information from the line stats. You can't turn it off yourself, you need to ask IDNet to get BT to do it (but BT may refuse if they have turned it on to stabilise the line).
Rik
--------------------

ducky22

Check out http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://dmt.mhilfe.de/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddsl%2Bmodem%2Btool%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rlz%3D1B2GGGL_enGB177.

Its the translated version of a download page for a program called DMT. It works with a huge number of routers now a days (just download the right version for your router) and it will tell you if interleaving is enabled and to what depth.

anz1066

hi again, thanks for the replies. i have interleaving on, they told me i could get it turned off. i know interleaving is for stability and correction, and also increases the latency slightly. i will be contacted in the next 48 hours regarding my MAC code. i have been in touch with Trading standards, they advised me to write to Virgin slowband asking for a full explanation. drat i said the name lol. i have also tried DMT, i have a Speedtouch 780 which they provided. i`ll still have to pay the remainder of the contract. it`s a pity i missed the trial period here.
thanks again peeps.  ;)

Rik

One of the members can give you a referral, earning themselves and you a £10 credit.

Volunteers anyone?
Rik
--------------------

merlin

not sure referal works, one of the administrators of idnet refered me, can't remember the name , maybe some thing like peter cross, so i told id net ,to my knowledge never did get my £10 , often wondered if he did ?

Rik

I've never come across a Peter at IDNet, but everyone who has been referred through the forum seems to have been happy with the outcome.
Rik
--------------------