latency/ping

Started by anz1066, Nov 14, 2007, 20:48:03

Previous topic - Next topic

anz1066

is there no referral scheme then? early christmas present  :D

Simon

Quote from: merlin1 on Nov 15, 2007, 17:00:41
not sure referal works, one of the administrators of idnet refered me, can't remember the name , maybe some thing like peter cross, so i told id net ,to my knowledge never did get my £10 , often wondered if he did ?

Surely IDNet staff or management can't take part in the referral scheme? 

As far as I know, it is still up and running. When you sign up, there's a place to fill in your referrer details, and then the new customer and the referrer receive £10 credit.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Quote from: anz1066 on Nov 15, 2007, 23:49:41
is there no referral scheme then? early christmas present  :D

Details here.

I'm sure any member of the forum would be happy to oblige. As a staff member, I do not participate in the scheme as it would be too easy for me to abuse my position.
Rik
--------------------

anz1066

thanks m8, i did notice it on the sign up form.

ducky22

Quote from: anz1066 on Nov 16, 2007, 01:09:36
thanks m8, i did notice it on the sign up form.

I volunteer!!

merlin

oopps i owe everyone on this forum an appology :-[ , due to a severe senior moment, i thought it was an administrator from this forum that reccommended me to idnet, but on careful thinking i now remember it was an administrator on another forum. :-[
please accept my sincere appology.

but that does not detract from the fact that idnet is the best yet, even if i did my best to mess it up  :-[

Rik

Rik
--------------------

lumi

my ping is v good to uk dutch  fr and de servers

idnet network is also  in holland and france if i rem correctly

also if u see my thread on packet loss and above.net u will see how well idnet deals with issues

they fixed my issue in roughly week n a bit

It involved changing peering/routing to avoid above.net. (which they could do in this case and did)

how good is that :) i dont normally go into fanboy mode, being british n all hehe but after past experiences with other isps this was really impressive.

anz1066

thanks guys and girls, i`ll take you up on your offer ducky if you don`t mind. Virgin are running out of time for my MAC code. not sure if you are Scottish ducky, but good luck for the footy m8.

ducky22

Quote from: anz1066 on Nov 16, 2007, 17:47:31
thanks guys and girls, i`ll take you up on your offer ducky if you don`t mind. Virgin are running out of time for my MAC code. not sure if you are Scottish ducky, but good luck for the footy m8.

Oh I'm Scottish - I think we'll need more than luck tomorrow tho!!

I will send you a PM with my email address and name.

anz1066

thanks m8, i`m English but still wish them luck. i`m still waiting for my MAC code. i think it mentions your phone number aswell, not sure. if you don`t want to give it out that`s fine aswell m8

Lance

Name and email address should be fine for a referral.
Lance
_____

anz1066

thanks, just need to wait for this code.  >:(
as of writing this my download speed is:

Rik

Looks pretty good for VM, about twice as fast as dial-up. ;) :out:
Rik
--------------------

Den

Wow, with speeds like that at least you have learned to walk  ;D When you arrive at Idnet you will learn to Run  :evilb: :evilb:
Mr Music Man.

ducky22

My ping is a little high in this test... I think it was because the site was causing my laptop to crash :-D.

Speed on IDnet is great tho.

Rik

I'm not sure I trust that site's ping results - partly because they seem to keep changing their mind about how far away I am. My 'reference' values are those to the BBC and IDNet. They will always show if there's an issue anywhere.
Rik
--------------------

anz1066

as long as i can get low latency and reasonable speeds i will be happy. some servers i play won`t let me in if the ping is too high.

Andy70

Quote from: anz1066 on Nov 17, 2007, 00:53:25
thanks, just need to wait for this code.  >:(
as of writing this my download speed is:

OMG! - Are Virgin a Tiscali re-seller?   :'(

Rik

Worse, they're a rubbish re-seller. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

What's the difference? Lol
Lance
_____

Rik

Well, Tiscali occasionally deliver some speed, whilst VM (ADSL) rarely do. :)
Rik
--------------------

ducky22

Quote from: anz1066 on Nov 17, 2007, 17:30:44
as long as i can get low latency and reasonable speeds i will be happy. some servers i play won`t let me in if the ping is too high.

What games do you play?

lumi

i wouldnt rely on speed test sites for acurate speed info they can get clobbered by lots of people testing esp peak times and give u false readings, u need to try a range of diff sites to get an idea and also try simultaneous dls from some download places u know have good bandwidth.

though agree VM adsl is def in the avoid list, and also so is VM cable in my area had 20% packet loss and they dont know why

and thats with top level infrastructure guy doing network sweeps and coming to my home etc etc

Gary

My ping times to bbc are average of 47ms and idnet was 32ms with 0 packet loss, not sure what's happening there at the moment, I seem to have some slow dns resolving at times and my router shows LCP down at six this morning, had this happen badly the other day from 2am right through to 4am :-\ attenuation is 48db and noise margin 7db
Damned, if you do damned if you don't