New arrival - line stats

Started by Endgame, Nov 01, 2007, 15:17:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Endgame

I've just had a little poke around and the bundle of wires that you can see in my pic aren't connected so i have pulled them through and i now have 1 green wire with white banding, one white wire with green banding, one orange wire with white banding and one white wire with orange banding.....................i hope that makes sense  ???

They think the end is nigh, it is only the beginning....................

Rik

That sounds like the conventional coding of the blue/white, white/blue pair being used for the connection then. If you feel like taking the socket off the wall (strictly illegal but...), see what wires are connected to the screw terminals on the rear.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Endgame

Quote from: Rik on Nov 13, 2007, 17:42:50
Then you can ignore the test socket as a diagnostic, I'm afraid. I'd suggest you have a word with support, and see if they think they can get BT to regularise the socket for you without charge.

Failing which, there is supposed to be a fixed fee of £30 to do so, though I've never managed to find it in a price list.

Oh so its not just a case of me connecting these loose wires to the faceplate then?

Endgame

Quote from: Rik on Nov 13, 2007, 17:47:29
That sounds like the conventional coding of the blue/white, white/blue pair being used for the connection then. If you feel like taking the socket off the wall (strictly illegal but...), see what wires are connected to the screw terminals on the rear.

I'm going in.......................................   :flamethrower:  :police:

Breaking the law, breaking the law.....................

Lance

Is that sirens I hear???!!!  :police: :police: :police:
Lance
_____

Endgame

Ok after *ahem* guessing what was behind the faceplate i think it could be a blue wire with white banding and a white wire with blue banding.......................of course i could be completely wrong as this is just a guess as i would never ever break the law  :angel:

Rik

Are you sure that's where your line enters the house. The external exchange pair are normally (but not always) a solid colour. I'm wondering if you have star topology wiring, with the wires radiating out from a connection point somewhere else. How many sockets do you have?
Rik
--------------------

Endgame

Quote from: Rik on Nov 13, 2007, 18:04:05
Are you sure that's where your line enters the house. The external exchange pair are normally (but not always) a solid colour. I'm wondering if you have star topology wiring, with the wires radiating out from a connection point somewhere else. How many sockets do you have?

I'm just on my way out, but as far as i know this is the only socket in the house!

I'll have a good check when i get back!

Rik

Quote from: Endgame on Nov 13, 2007, 18:05:40
I'm just on my way out, but as far as i know this is the only socket in the house!

I'll have a good check when i get back!

If that's the case, you wouldn't have any wires on the face plate, so ignore my comments, sorry.  :-[

(Equally, the test socket and the ordinary socket should give identical results.)
Rik
--------------------

Endgame

Yep i'm pretty sure that that is the only socket in the house, unless there is one under the floorboards!

So is it pretty useless testing the socket behind the faceplate then as i'm directly wired to it anyway?

Lance

Normally if you have extensions in the house, these would be wired to the faceplate. This is why removing the faceplate and using the test socket is normally a good way of making sure that the extensions and associated wiring isn't causing the problem.

In your case, with no extensions it is effectively the same as using the test socket.

This also indicates that the problem is outside of your control. From what you report with the fluctuating speeds, to me it suggests that there is congestion at the exchange. Unfortunately, BT don't release the exchange status information as regularly as people would like, so the data is often a couple of weeks at least out of date :(
Lance
_____

Endgame

Quote from: Lance on Nov 13, 2007, 19:35:03
Normally if you have extensions in the house, these would be wired to the faceplate. This is why removing the faceplate and using the test socket is normally a good way of making sure that the extensions and associated wiring isn't causing the problem.

In your case, with no extensions it is effectively the same as using the test socket.

This also indicates that the problem is outside of your control. From what you report with the fluctuating speeds, to me it suggests that there is congestion at the exchange. Unfortunately, BT don't release the exchange status information as regularly as people would like, so the data is often a couple of weeks at least out of date :(

This is what Miriam reported back from BT (congestion at the exchange) but i just cannot see why/how my line is affected so badly compared to all of my friends who use the same exchange, in fact i live closer than anybody to the exchange, i can practically see it out of my bedroom window!

Lance

It could be that you are on a different virtual path at and from the exchange and it could be that the virtual paths that your friends are on are not as congested.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how close you live to the exchange if it is congested.
Lance
_____

Endgame

Quote from: Lance on Nov 13, 2007, 19:51:13
It could be that you are on a different virtual path at and from the exchange and it could be that the virtual paths that your friends are on are not as congested.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how close you live to the exchange if it is congested.

What would happen Lance if the engineer called at my house and found no faults, and also found no faults on the line and just put it down to congestion at the exchange, would i still have to pay BT the ridiculous £144?

Lance

I can't answer that one - support may be able to give some guidance. It's a tough one to call. One part of me is saying that if BT come out and find only the exchange congestion they will charge because they have already informed you of the problem. However, another part of me is saying that they shouldn't charge because the problem is on their side of the master socket.

Definitely one for support to give guidance on I'm afraid.
Lance
_____

Endgame

Yeah thats what i'm bothered about as they could pull the "exchange congestion" line as i cannot prove otherwise, catch 22 methinks, no matter what i do i'm on a loser. If i report the problem i pay £144 if i don't i have to put up with these slow speeds  :(

Lance

I guess you will just have to wait until BT have upgraded the number of Virtual paths at the exchange. Sometimes this can happen quickly, sometimes it will go on a month or two :(

If it's any consolation, I think my exchange may be congested too :( :(
Lance
_____

Endgame

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5935 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Just ignore these tests, its for my own personal reference

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Endgame

Said what?  ;)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6036 kbps

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Endgame

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3660 kbps

Rik

You're certainly displaying all the classic signs of exchange congestion (assuming you post shortly after each test). :(
Rik
--------------------