router prob

Started by alcav, Oct 15, 2007, 13:55:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

:( I hate it when that happens, and with winter and rain it gets worse
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Tell me about it. Oddly enough, I had a bad spell through August, when my attenuation went up. That went away as suddenly as it arrived, so I can only assume something was done at the exchange. Profiles are great for BT, lousy for the customer.  >:(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Is there any technical reason we are aware of which means that the profile can't be adjusted to the correct level after a few hours, or even immediately? Presumably if BT can change it from 3 to 5 days, they could also move it the other way if they wanted to?
Lance
_____

Rik

There's no technical reason why it can't be adjusted immediately, Lance. The reason it's not is to reduce the amount of activity on BT's systems - which is why they have profiles in the first place. :(
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Why am I not surprised it's the lack of BT resources!

I've had the same problem all day at work, as BT manage our IT.
Lance
_____

Rik

Ouch. You have my sympathies. Do they send Gordon Ramsay round??  ::)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

And they get rated as a great ISP as well on prime time TV, well watchdog anyway I think  ;D

Rik

Watchdog is made in the same factory as Ofcom!!  >:(
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Quote from: Rik on Oct 16, 2007, 17:35:45
Ouch. You have my sympathies. Do they send Gordon Ramsay round??  ::)

It would be an improvement!

They have managed to stick 24 applications on one SQL server, and then wonder why it runs slow! When we first started using the server there was only four apps on there. Needless to say, the monthly hosting fee has stayed the same!
Lance
_____

Rik

You need IDNet on the case! :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

A note about my test on the Netgear DG834G firmware 4.01.30, don't touch it, causes many dropouts and browsing seems slow as well, leave well alone >:D

Nick AJ

Quote from: Killhippie on Oct 17, 2007, 13:48:43
A note about my test on the Netgear DG834G firmware 4.01.30, don't touch it, causes many dropouts and browsing seems slow as well, leave well alone >:D

Thanks for that - running 3.01.31 at present - seems pretty good.  Only slight niggle is that the log files are all dated one month ahead when it e-mails them!
If everything else fails .......................... read the manual!  Some poor sod spent ages writing it.

Rik

Netgear have often struggled to understand time and date, Nick. I wish I could understand why they keep making the mistake. (Similarly, they report the u/s attenuation as half the correct figure.)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

I never understood how they could never fix that month ahead issue. On the first version of the DG834PN's firmware (never touch this router imo) if you used the full quota of characters to get maximum encryption for your WiFi network it became an unlocked network, I pointed that out to them and it took 3 months for an update you had to use 62 not 63 characters, not a big deal but still things like that should not get past QC >:(