Max or fixed 512K?

Started by duncan, Nov 30, 2007, 18:21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

duncan

I am a long way from the exchange and have been running fixed 512K for a few years.  Attenuation is a problem (63dB) and I get regular loss of signal errors (Speedtouch 546).  I have tried all the usual home improvements but to no avail.

Would switching to a Max service help to stabilise the connection (presumably I would benefit from interleaving)?  Or would I most likely suffer a lower connection speed than 512K?

Duncan

Rik

Hi Duncan and welcome to the forum, especially as you're our 700th member. Have a couple of welcome karmas.  :welc:

Can you extract your line stats from the Speedtouch, and post them please. From the web interface try

http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0

or

From the routers IP address which is usually http://192.168.1.254

Broadband Connection >
DSL Connection >
Details.

Default User Name = Administrator , Password = blank.

Note:-
Some of the above speedtouch routers may well have problems if you try changing the default password and it will appear to lock you out or give you and error message "HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required". In actual fact this is an authentication problem within IE7 - try using a different browser to change the password.

My guess is that Max would actually make things worse for you, it sounds like your real attenuation is probably higher than 63db (routers can't report the higher figure) and that noise is an issue, but your stats will confirm this.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Andy70

Quote from: Rik on Nov 30, 2007, 18:25:32
Hi Duncan and welcome to the forum, especially as you're our 700th member. Have a couple of welcome karmas.  :welc:

Can you extract your line stats from the Speedtouch, and post them please. From the web interface try

http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0

or

From the routers IP address which is usually http://192.168.1.254

Broadband Connection >
DSL Connection >
Details.

Default User Name = Administrator , Password = blank.

Note:-
Some of the above speedtouch routers may well have problems if you try changing the default password and it will appear to lock you out or give you and error message "HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required". In actual fact this is an authentication problem within IE7 - try using a different browser to change the password.

My guess is that Max would actually make things worse for you, it sounds like your real attenuation is probably higher than 63db (routers can't report the higher figure) and that noise is an issue, but your stats will confirm this.

Hi Rik,

I've been noticing with regards to speed issues you are asking for users line stats etc...

How do i go about getting them? I have a very old internal Alcatel Speedtouch modem which has served me well with various isp's.

Don't ask me to run the BT speedtester as it just hangs on the first test.

Cheers Rik

PS - Can i have another Karma? - You only gave me one!  :sigh:

Rik

Hi Andy

Quote from: Andy70 on Nov 30, 2007, 18:36:10
I've been noticing with regards to speed issues you are asking for users line stats etc...

How do i go about getting them? I have a very old internal Alcatel Speedtouch modem which has served me well with various isp's.

Take a look at Kitz's site:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

She has instructions for most, I think the frog should cover you.

I do recommend moving to a router, though, particularly with Max. It gives you added security, better ADSL performance and less drain on your CPU and power.

QuoteDon't ask me to run the BT speedtester as it just hangs on the first test.

It is a bit temperamental, isn't it. :( More importantly it doesn't give the attenuation and noise figures.

PS - Can i have another Karma? - You only gave me one!  :sigh:

I only gave Duncan one too. The other one was because he was the 700th member. If you can tell me what number you were, I'll see what the additional award is. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Den

Don't be so tight Rik. Have one off me Andy  :thup:
Mr Music Man.

Rik

I'm never tight, Den - can't drink. :) So I'll give you one instead - if you'll pardon the expression.  :angel:
Rik
--------------------

Andy70

Quote from: Rik on Nov 30, 2007, 18:45:45
I'm never tight, Den - can't drink. :) So I'll give you one instead - if you'll pardon the expression.  :angel:

... and i'm on sausages for supper! ....... oh dear  :back:

Andy70

Rik

Quote from: Andy70 on Nov 30, 2007, 19:12:26
... and i'm on sausages for supper! ....... oh dear  :back:

I'm off to haggis and bashed neeps. :)

Cue Billy Connolly...  ;D
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Quote from: Den on Nov 30, 2007, 18:43:44
Don't be so tight Rik. Have one off me Andy  :thup:

Yeah, that's mean. Have one from me as well. ;D

(You could always send one back in return)

BTW Has anyone tried to sell one on ebay yet?

duncan

Line stats follow...

As you can see I have a fairly borderline connection although SN Margin isn't too bad.  I was hoping that the interleaving provided with a Max product might make it a bit more tolerant of noise.

The other alternative would be to get a second line and a load balancing router.  This might give extra resilience if one line disconnects.  However most reviews I have seen of load balancing routers don't rate them very highly.  They seem to bring their own problems with client sessions appearing to emanate from multiple IP addresses.  Anyone with any experience?

Duncan

Uptime: 0 days, 0:56:26
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 62.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 26.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 19,493 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6,297 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2

Rik

The noise margin is much better than I'd expected, Duncan, though a bit low on the u/s side.

I'd say it would be worth giving Max a go, I reckon you'd probably get 1Mbps but, and it's a big but, it depends very much on the variation in your noise margin across the day. It might be worth running a program like Routerstats to monitor the swing, that will give you a clearer picture.

You may also benefit from trying different routers, if you can borrow any, as some perform better on marginal lines than others.
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Welcome Duncan.. Just in case you havn't been over to IDNATTER, there are lots of welcomes awaiting you.
:welc: :hug:
------
Alf :)