Suspended animation

Started by Rik, Dec 01, 2007, 16:38:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

From time to time, certain animated avatars and smileys freeze on my machine, requiring a Ctrl+f5 to re-animate them. Most do not, however. The evil banana is a regular freezer for me, for example.

Has anyone got any ideas why some files would be affected and others not? I've examined the file and can't see anything about it which would explain it...

Puzzled of MK. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

john

I've not noticed the problem myself Rik, is it affected by the type of browser you're using ? (I'm using IE 7)

Rik

No, John. I normally use FF, but have tried in IE6, IE7 and Opera. Evil B demonstrates his ability to hold a position in all of them...  ???
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Have you, somehow, upset Evil banana.  He is often negelcted and perhaps is fighting back.  It's ok on my machine. >:D
------
Alf :)

Rik

Possibly when I re-shuffled the smileys, Alf, he became offended at his new position. I shall ask him.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Are all the smileys hosted on the forum webspace, Rik?  If one or two of them are linked remotely, that might cause the issue.
Simon.
--

Rik

No, they are all on the forum space, Simon. However, I'll maybe try re-loading the banana if others have had the problem too.
Rik
--------------------

Ted

The evil-banana is omniscient Rik, re-shuffle at your own risk :o
Not an action i would undertake lightly ;D
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

:rofl2:

It's been a long day, Ted and I needed a laugh. Thank you.  :)

:karmic: :karmic:
Rik
--------------------

psp83

This can be caused by javascript. Have you updated your java lately?

Rik

Fairly recently, Paul, but I'll check. Certainly, I have updated since I first noticed the problem.

If you have time to explain, what's the interaction between the GIF file and Java?
Rik
--------------------

psp83

I can't exactly remember why it does it but from what i can remember its the browser requesting some JS to run before the gif. Which then makes the gif stop.. It shouldn't happen but it does sometimes. mainly when JS has gone wrong or a script has not been coded correctly.

Also, it normally only happens when a link is clicked that requests/runs JS.

We've had this at work when coding JS for websites and its a pain to find the cause.

Rik

What's curious is that it only ever affects the one animated smiley. Computers!  ::) ::)
Rik
--------------------

john

QuoteComputers!

Can't live with them, can't live without them  ;D

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 01, 2007, 19:12:35
Fairly recently, Paul, but I'll check. Certainly, I have updated since I first noticed the problem.

If you have time to explain, what's the interaction between the GIF file and Java?
What version of javascript are you running Rik? I have seen some people with IE7 which changes their javascript re-install one off the Microsoft website to one that was older, from IE6 days :-\
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Not sure without looking, Gary, but I checked for updates last night and it said I had the current version.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

1.6.03 that will be, I get the same thing with evil banana as well Rik, now and then it freezes just noticed it  :-\

Gary

:evilb: testing, working now, after clearing cache.

Rik

If they all did it, Gary, I could make more sense of it, but it seems to be just that one. I've had a look at the GIF, frame by frame, and I can't see anything there to explain it, so...  :think:

Clearing the cache always works - but why?  ???
Rik
--------------------

Gary

So how long till that banana stops being jigglingly evil I wonder? Maybe we should see how long it goes before we have to clear the cache  :bore: I hate things like this  :sigh:

Rik

It may not even be a time issues, Gary, but the number of times it's pulled from the cache, say... Like you, it annoys me, because I can't explain it.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Snap, and it will perplex me now till I can find out why, and never try googling evil banana with preferences set to "do not filter my results"  :eek4:

Rik

;D

47,000 pages later...
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 02, 2007, 10:20:36
;D

47,000 pages later...
Watch out Rik, if Sue sees......

Rik

Sue sees everything, she's a woman. :)  :women:
Rik
--------------------