The end of landline Broadband Providers ?

Started by old Bill, Nov 27, 2007, 18:31:35

Previous topic - Next topic

old Bill

If BT does not get its act together will the mobile phone networks replace landline providers as the choice for high speed data transfer.
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Nov2007/5477.htm

Rik

It's possible, Bill, but the coverage would have to improve.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sobranie

I think it's pretty obvious where things are heading as I've read similar musings on the net over the last few years.  One thing of which I'm absolutely certain is that UK prices will be astronomical compared to other countries both for the link and provider.  Coupled with this our cr*p government will no doubt introduce some form of license too!  Am I being overly pessimistic folks, perhaps I can refer back to this posting in 3 or 4 years time >:D >:D >:D

Simon

Mobiles are getting increasing sophisticated, but are still painfully slow and expensive when it comes to using mobile internet services.  Things would have to improve dramatically if the mobile networks were to take over from the BT landlines.
Simon.
--

john

QuoteCoupled with this our cr*p government will no doubt introduce some form of license too!

Can we call it what it actually is, a tax not a licence. Why do we allow the Government to control our access (i.e. licence) to legitimate things. Licences may be useful to restrict access such as driving licences for reasons of safety to only those that have passed a test. for example but things like TV licences etc are really just taxes.

Rik

As is the auctioning off of the RF spectrum. :(
Rik
--------------------

Azazel

at the rates they charge and the rubbish download limits no chance will they replace land line, your £35 would get you probably 1GB of transfer a month on that which is VERY lame!

If they were to go down the 60GB of transfer a month then perhaps i might consider it but as is no way.

Rik

Though the concept of personal, rather than line-tied broadband is attractive if they can put a decent package together.
Rik
--------------------

Phil123

Three mobile are already offering HSDPA at about 2Mb. The prices aren't too bad either compared to other mobile networks.

1GB download limit is £10/month, 3GB £15/month, 7GB £25/month. Users are reporting speeds of around 1.8Mb. As the technology improves to give faster speeds and prices come down I can see a lot of people going down this route, especially as you then don't need a phone line and obviously dodge the rental and you can just set up a VOIP account or use your mobile for phone calls.

Rik

I tend to agree, Phil. When the networks made mobile phones affordable for the masses, the take up went from strength to strength and, in just a few years, virtually everyone had one. If they market mobile data well, they could have the same impact.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I don't think the present technology would suit the gamers market though, the lag and ping times would be too great.

Plus I work with the team that manage the 3 network ;)
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Good point, Glenn. However, for many it would be fine - in marketing terms, though, I suspect they have a product that will appeal more to the young, who are likely to be the ones most interested in gaming. Something of a problem for them.
Rik
--------------------

Phil123

Here's another article on high speed mobile broadband:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3320-mobile-broadband-to-leap-ahead-of-fixed-line-services.html

QuoteThe Washington Post has covered news that Verizon Wireless, the second largest mobile network operator in the U.S., is looking to begin trials next year of a technology called LTE (Long-Term Evolution), based upon UMTS release 8. Further still, it states that Vodafone in the UK, part owner of Verizon, are expected to also take part in the trial.

Whilst not ratified as a standard yet, the 3GPP LTE project is looking to improve efficiency and lower costs whilst improving the service available to users. It offers speeds of up to 100Mbps (Megabits per second) downstream and 50Mbps upstream. This is a step up from HSDPA/HSUPA which is currently being rolled out which offers a maximum data rate of 14.4Mbps. Current deployments in the UK see 7.2Mbps in some areas from Vodafone, with other networks to follow with similar speeds next year.

If they can get things working at those speeds it really could be the end of broadband over telephone lines.

Lance

It would also save the need for the roll out of fibre!
Lance
_____

Adam

Quote from: Rik on Nov 27, 2007, 18:37:49
It's possible, Bill, but the coverage would have to improve.

Wasn't that also the case with LLU? ;)
Adam