Emergency rules for net telephony

Started by Noreen, Dec 08, 2007, 12:29:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

This doesn't actually affect me and have to admit that I didn't know about the problem. It seems to be a good idea to have got it sorted though.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7132229.stm

Rik

It's always been an oddity in the system, Noreen, and one that many people would not have considered. Belated action by Ofcom, imo. (Of course, I didn't really need to add that when talking about Ofcom, did I. :))
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ann

I didn't know that 112 was also the emergency number here until a few years ago when I was cleaing the phone keeping away from the 9 button.. oops.. I then found out.

Rik

I keep thinking it ought to be 911 - too many American TV shows I guess.  :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

I think it is fast approaching the time that we switched to 112 ( the EU number ) as the standard one, still leaving 999 as a fallback one.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Noreen

I try hard to remember that 112 is the mobile emergency number although hope that I never have to use it. I'm not sure but do mobiles also use 999 it would be handy to know?

Rik

Mobiles can use either, Noreen. The 112 is only there for EU 'harmony', the primary number in the UK is still 999.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Thanks Rik. I've only had to dial 999 once in my life thank goodness and that was on a fixed phone.

Rik

Twice in my case, ambulance and police. I'm not looking for the full set.
Rik
--------------------

ducky22

Quote from: Inactive on Dec 08, 2007, 13:40:16
I think it is fast approaching the time that we switched to 112 ( the EU number ) as the standard one, still leaving 999 as a fallback one.

So when do you feel we should be renaming the country to Royaume Uni de Grande-Bretagne
et d'Irlande du Nord?

Inactive

Quote from: ducky22 on Dec 10, 2007, 14:38:22
So when do you feel we should be renaming the country to Royaume Uni de Grande-Bretagne
et d'Irlande du Nord?

It just makes sense to have the one number to me, we are after all part of Europe, even if some people wish we were not. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

I wonder what percentage of the population is aware of the 112 alternative? I suspect there would have to be a major educational exercise associated with a switch. Especially as the tabloids would have a field day with any resulting problems.
Rik
--------------------

ducky22

Quote from: Inactive on Dec 10, 2007, 16:39:19
It just makes sense to have the one number to me, we are after all part of Europe, even if some people wish we were not. ;)

By the same logic, do you think we should should change so that we drive on the same side of the road as the French?

Inactive

The French tend to drive on " our " side of the road for most of the time anyway. ;)

Seriously, not quite the same analogy, the emergency phone number should be the same throughout Europe, can you imagine what would happen to the average " Brit Tourist Abroad " should an emergency arise whilst in Europe and they try ringing 999 to no avail.

Rik

Ideally, I suppose, there should be an international standard number agreed. 9112 anybody?
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Dec 11, 2007, 00:33:02
Ideally, I suppose, there should be an international standard number agreed.

Of that .. I am certain.