Any way around having to reboot router for usage stats

Started by VaderDSL, Aug 30, 2006, 13:53:23

Previous topic - Next topic

VaderDSL

Just wondering if there's any way around the rebooting of the router to check usage stats?

As it is, it's such a pain and really really intrusive having to restart, our router is 24/7 - 365 stable and restarting is such a pain and it disrupts our servers/hosted stuff :(

However we need to keep an eye on it due to 4 people using the network and not wanting to incur any wrath if we go over 30Gb a month.

Cheers

equk

bah I see what you mean now - Data collated from RADIUS login details, therefore this data is updated each time your modem/router reconnects

doh  :-[ :angel:

mine is probably up to date tho as my conn keeps reconnecting  :-\
e6400 @ 3.2Ghz 38°C 45°C | ATI X1900XT | P5W DH | ss: linux | osx
migration complete - sync 5mb 500k - stable low ping times

Scott

Vader
I don't believe there is currently an alternative to this usage monitoring other than perhaps something on your gateway (assuming you're using a machine connected to your modem ?)

Slightly OT but relevant here...for a few month I was on a 2Gb pm MAX product and occasionally breached it a little - sometimes by a lot (following one particularly busy machine rebuilding weekend !) but I didn't get charged for the overrun...Now I don't believe this is an error on IDNet's part (if it is...well...they know where I live  :police: ) more perhaps indicative of the genuine manner in which they treat a customer. Some months you'll be under, some you'll be over...maybe they accept it'll even out. Start hammering it and taking the mick...then I guess the £1 a Gb charge will kick in but until then don't sweat it too much ?

Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

kinmel

It is not necessary to re-boot your router to update your stats.

Your router should have an option to "Disconnect" from the Internet, select that option and then when the page has refreshed, select the "Connect" option. 

This will start a new Radius Session and your usage stats will have updated on the Idnet website.

This disconnect is not visible to the BT Adslmax equipment and will not alter you Sync rate or BRAS profile, so you can safely do it as often as you wish.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Scott

Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

kuja