Advice required on new modem/router

Started by andy03071981, Dec 11, 2007, 18:34:38

Previous topic - Next topic

andy03071981

I am trying to find a new modem/router to buy, has  anyone got any ideas as I am confused as there are so many out there and so many different parameters to consider! I need it to be wireless and have a fast data transfer rate between computers but at a reasonable price!

Rik

Hi Andy

Flavour of the month at the moment is the 2-Wire 2700 HGV, but you have to get this from places like eBay and so there's little in the way of support or warranty, though we'd always try and help you with the former.

If you want to buy through conventional channels, then I'd suggest either the Netgear DG834G or the Speedtouch 585. Both routers have their advocates, both have a large user base. IDNet supply the Netgear, which means they can give you specific instructions if you ever have problems.

PC World have the Netgear at £39.99 atm.

I wouldn't recommend any of the pre-N routers, they are often quite fussy about working with other manufacturers equipment.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Hi Andy,

If you are happy using ebay, it has to be the 2700 HGV!
Lance
_____

mogden

Pixmania are doing the Netgear for £39.90 with a wireless usb doofer.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/57436/art/netgear/dg834g-adsl-modem-router.html

...but it depends on your environment at home: thick walls, lots of corners, distance from the BT master socket etc.

Giz a bit more info and we'll see what we can do.
Matt

ceci n'est pas un .sig

cavillas

I have had a US Robotics 1906 for over 2 years now.  It never drops connections except when I want it to.  AT the moment it has been up and running for 37 days with no drops or speed fluctuations.  My son has the later model and has been very impressed with it for the past 6 months as well as being with IDNEt. ;D

Just though I'd mention US Robotics, it seems to be sidelined by the majority of people and those who have them don't seem to complain.
------
Alf :)

Rik

USR were one of the two major modem suppliers in analogue days, Alf, the other being Hayes. Everyone seemed to prefer USR. Somehow, they missed the boat on ADSL and became fringe players. :(
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

I use a Zyxel, no problem at all, it comes with a free USB Dongle and is available at eBuyer for around £35.00.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

The DG834G is a cracking little router, for me I have become a 2wire 2700 convert but as lance says that's ebay to get one, I would go for the Netgear myself easy to set up and my v3 never had any major issues, as Rik said avoid and of the pre draft N routers and also the DG834PN, nasty thing that was >:D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

andy03071981

Thank you for all the advice.   ;D

I have got it down to these two because they allow faster transfer between computers. I just can't decide which one to go for out of the two, so if any of you have any ideas please let me know.

Here are the links to the two routers:-

http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-broadband-product.asp?prod=bb-9113&loc=unkg

http://www.netgear.com/Home/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways/WNR854T.aspx

Rik

They both use proprietary technology, Andy, so you may find they are not as fast as you hoped unless you also buy dongles to go with them.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Avoid the rangemax its a pre draft N router and since draft N is not even released yet you cannot guarantee it will be compatible later on, the us robotics looks ok, but I have never used one,

Gary

As Rik said you will need the appropriate card or Dongle to get those speeds using wireless, what do you plan to stream to need that kind of speed? Oh and the US Robotics is Draft N again, these really are best left till it is finalised, best way to describe Draft N is its a new book with no end to the story and you just have the beginning as a rough draft, when the book comes out finally your draft may not make sense and you will need to buy the new book

mrapoc

Got my 2700hgv off a seller on dslzone uk (search for patioheater) and he does them for around £45 inc the hacked firmware (pretty much unlimited wireless power) and unlocked for any isp. I recommend him...special next day delivery and good coms. The 2700hgv is a deffo good choice

Rik

Though there are sellers who are cheaper than patioheater, Sam...
Rik
--------------------

Gary

With some help I got a brand new one, it was also cheaper as well Sam, so for anyone after one it pays to shop around...

ducky22

Do you mean fast data transfer rate by wireless, or by cable?

A gigabit ethernet setup (no wireless) isn't going to give you much of an improvement unless you have the hard drives to allow that sort of transfer rate. ie. 15k RPM SAS drives (absolute beasts :- but very expensive).

I've compared the performance with wireless on a variety of G, so called G+ and pre N routers and have noticed very little throughput difference. It was really disappointing. I've resorted to using cables to transfer big files.

The netgear you suggested is going to be the fastest and out of the 2 you have recommended I'd go for that one. But bear in mind it isn't going to be that fast.

Gary

Quote from: ducky22 on Dec 12, 2007, 14:21:26
The netgear you suggested is going to be the fastest and out of the 2 you have recommended I'd go for that one. But bear in mind it isn't going to be that fast.
Thing is Ducky its not guaranteed this router will be compatible with the final 802.11n so at this time they are not really worth buying as the final 802.11n release is not until June 2009 I believe, a lot can change between then and now.

ducky22

Quote from: Killhippie on Dec 12, 2007, 14:32:28
Thing is Ducky its not guaranteed this router will be compatible with the final 802.11n so at this time they are not really worth buying as the final 802.11n release is not until June 2009 I believe, a lot can change between then and now.

Certainly yes! Only time will tell - but here and now that's the best option out of the 2 that were suggested I'd say. Manufacturers insisting on selling as many routers as possible without thinking ;-).

I will add that at home I'm still using a 'G' router and find it great.

Via cable I'll get about 10-15mbyte/second and via wireless I'll get around 2-3mbyte/second (good signal quality/strength).

Rik

IMO, you can't beat a good cabled connection Ducky, for speed, reliability or security. With each ethernet segment allowed to be 100m, I'd cable any new home rather than use wireless for anything other than occasional transfers.
Rik
--------------------

ducky22

Quote from: Rik on Dec 12, 2007, 14:41:27
IMO, you can't beat a good cabled connection Ducky, for speed, reliability or security. With each ethernet segment allowed to be 100m, I'd cable any new home rather than use wireless for anything other than occasional transfers.

Yep! Couldn't agree more. I've cabled my apartment up mostly. It is just annoying sometimes having a cable when you're only doing general browsing. Can't wait for the day when wireless rivals gigabit ethernet!

Always a nightmare copying those downloaded TV shows to the AppleTV over wireless hehe.

Rik

Quote from: ducky22 on Dec 12, 2007, 14:53:20
Always a nightmare copying those downloaded TV shows to the AppleTV over wireless hehe.

I suspect that the wireless spectrum could become sufficiently congested in the future as to be unusable in built-up areas - especially if people buy 2700s and crank up the power. More and more, we are seeing wireless peripherals that simply weren't though of in the early days. Channels 12-20 anyone?
Rik
--------------------

Gary

The only two things I have wireless are my mobile and Justina's laptop but she hardly uses that and we do all our buying banking etc from the wired machine, and only then when her laptop is off  :)

Simon

Is wireless that insecure then?  I do a lot of shopping, etc on my laptopm but now you've got me worried!  :(
Simon.
--

Ann

Wireless isn't insecure surely.  It's no different from wired when it comes to it.  The only insecure thing about wireless is that if you don't secure the connectioin others can use your line too.  Or is it?

Rik

It's not inherently insecure if it's secured, Simon. ;)

I recommend:

1)  Broadcast SSID but don't leave it at the default. Change it to something you will recognise but which doesn't give any information away, particularly the router manufacturer.

2)  Change the default router password

3)  Secure the connection with WPA or WPA2, and use a strong passkey, I recommend being nearer to 63 characters than 20, alpha-numeric

Some people say you shouldn't broadcast SSID, but it only makes it more difficult to connect, and won't stop anyone finding you if they want to.

Leaving the router name displayed, and the password unchanged, is an open invitation to be hacked. I can access my neighbour's router and, if I felt so inclined, could lock them out. Not a wise state.

WEP encryption is next to useless these days and can be cracked in seconds.

Some people recommend using MAC filtering, but it's easy to spoof a MAC address, so it doesn't add a lot of security.
Rik
--------------------