Advice required on new modem/router

Started by andy03071981, Dec 11, 2007, 18:34:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

I've done all that, Rik, but what I was picking up on in some of the comments, particularly Gary's, is that wireless is less secure for secure transactions, like shopping or banking.  Even if you access your neighbours router, that wouldn't give you details of transmitted data, would it?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

If you can access an unencrypted network, then in theory you can capture the data and with it, passwords.

However, when you sign in on a secure page, the data is encrypted in transmission, so the risk are tiny. The only absolutely safe way is not to go on line at all - just as, statistically, you're safer not travelling by car.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

OK, for the luxury of shopping in bed, I'll take the risk!  ;D
Simon.
--

Rik

I don't think you need lose too much sleep on the issue. Now notebook batteries which catch fire and explode...  >:D
Rik
--------------------

andy03071981

ducky22

Quote from: andy03071981 on Dec 14, 2007, 08:39:50
Well I have decided to go with the following two items. I think they are the best choice as its a more well known make. Well I have heard of it anyway! haha.    ::)

http://www.netgear.com/Home/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways/WNR854T.aspx

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/RangeMaxNextWirelessAdapters/WN511T.aspx?detail=System+Requirements

Good luck! Be sure to post what sort of transfer rates you manage between the two devices.

Sebby

Personally, it's got to be the SpeedTouch 585v6. The 2Wire is also popular. I've found Netgears to be poor unless you have a great quality phone line.