Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

Voting closes: Feb 18, 2008, 14:46:20)

Why not at 14:47:52 ???

Simon

Rik is always very precise.  ;)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

More accurately, the SMF software is. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Malc on Feb 14, 2008, 23:58:32
Voting closes: Feb 18, 2008, 14:46:20)

Why not at 14:47:52 ???

Have a poll on it Malc, Rik will adjust things if he thinks it is necessary ..  ;D >:D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

V4 DG834G here no issues, infact never had any physical issues with netgear DG834G's I had a DG834GT burn out and connection drop  faster than a lady of the nights panties, then it caught fire  :react: Next I tried a DG834PN what a  nightmare, using full encryption it would make the Network open, you had to drop one digit! It would block msn messenger randomly until you rebooted it and wireless was no better really than the G version, it was just bigger with a blue ufo on top, In the end it went back, after 3 mths Netgear had not sorted out the security issue with the encryption key and I managed to get a refund from Broadband Buyer as it was being sold with a function that did not work (trading standards) The 2700 was the best for long lines but the V4 works great, better than previous versions and I needed some of the features the Netgear has like QOS etc, but the 2700 still gave the best speeds. I do prefer the interface of the Netgear though but that's just a personal thing.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

psp83

Quote from: Killhippie on Feb 15, 2008, 08:22:40I needed some of the features the Netgear has like QOS etc, but the 2700 still gave the best speeds. I do prefer the interface of the Netgear though but that's just a personal thing.

Does the V4 have any new features (in the control area) that the V3 doesn't have?
Except for the chipset change, what other changes is there in version 4?

Gary

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 15, 2008, 08:31:38
Does the V4 have any new features (in the control area) that the V3 doesn't have?
Except for the chipset change, what other changes is there in version 4?
Its pretty much the same you have slightly more detailed stats now which is better and a more precise measurement of snr etc, but you can use DMT tool to alter the snr like the GT version from what I have read (could be wrong you know the net) as it uses a similar broadcom chipset, also it supports Vistas new tcp/ip stack better than the v3 from what I have gleaned. Control is pretty much the same  you have  Wmm-QoS (Automatically adjusts to the needs of Internet, voice, video and gaming applications) WMM-PS and WDS as introduced in the later versions of the v3 firmware, but since its still on the initial firmware things could change there, you can now turn off the messaging ports and firewall with radio buttons as well and of course it still has url content filtering etc. Its designed as a home users router therefore you don't get a massively cluttered interface that will scare people off but time will tell what can be done as far as hacked firmware for it, as its only just come out in the UK. On a separate note it now has a smaller power supply so you can't use it as a hammer in the Olympics anymore :) Actually just checked you can adjust your snr by telnet but you need to turn on debug mode first.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lance

It's interesting to srr such a large number of 2wire users! Especially when you consider there is no official support channel, no warrenty and that they are only available from Ebay!
Lance
_____

Sebby

I agree, Lance. But they're cheap, good performers, and there's plenty of unofficial support. :)

Rik

I'm still surprised by the relatively low showing for Speedtouch - I'd have expected them to be on a par with Netgear.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Netgears are more widely available I think, Rik. Also, most people have heard of Netgear, especially as they're available in high street shops. I'd say the SpeedTouch is the better router, though. ;)

Rik

Yet most people start their 'careers' with a Speedtouch modem. Of course, as Netgear sponsor rugby, they have my loyalty. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

That is why they are so expensive then Rik..  ;D ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

A rugby team of 22 players is still a fraction of the cost of a football team of 13. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

True Rik, but I guess it will not be long before they catch up with the round ball variety.

Rik

Not as things stand, there's a salary cap in place on the premiership (rugby). I think that may have to change under the new agreement with England, though, as squads will, imo, need to be larger.
Rik
--------------------

norman117777

Rik

Poll now closed. Thanks everyone. :)
Rik
--------------------