More help on new router please.

Started by Broadback, Dec 16, 2007, 11:42:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

As my question is a little different Andy's I thought that it better to start a new thread.  I am also on the lookout for a replacement for my router, the 2-Wire 2700 HGV seems to be well recommended, however I do not want wireless.  Is there a wired version, or can it be wired anyway? If not what does the team recommend?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Rik

It has four ethernet ports and a USB one too. The wireless can be disabled from the router interface. If you can get your hands on one, I'd say the 2700 is a very good investment. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

The 2700HGV really comes in to it's own on poor lines, nobody has tested it on a good line, as far as I am aware, so perhaps an indication of your line speed would help.

My speeds are achieved using a Zyxel, but I have a very good line.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Broadback

2.7 to 3mbps. Not much variance.

Inactive

A 2700HGV may well help, I will let others that use them advise further.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

I used a Netgear and my sync was on the 2500/2000 cusp. Having changed to a 2700 I now sync at 3200, right in the middle of the 2500 profile range. You may well benefit, therefore.
Rik
--------------------

Broadback

One last question, (honest!) what is a reasonable price to pay for one?  I don't want to get carried away (they are coming to take me away) and pay over the odds!  :sigh:

Rik

You should be able to get one for less than £25 delivered.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Quote from: Rik on Dec 16, 2007, 11:45:56
If you can get your hands on one, I'd say the 2700 is a very good investment. :)

It's amazing how quickly you started singing to our tune, Rik!
Lance
_____

Rik

I was only as slow as I was because I don't do eBay, Lance. :) Luckily, a good samaritan came along...
Rik
--------------------

mrapoc

Quote from: Inactive on Dec 16, 2007, 11:54:29
The 2700HGV really comes in to it's own on poor lines, nobody has tested it on a good line, as far as I am aware, so perhaps an indication of your line speed would help.

My speeds are achieved using a Zyxel, but I have a very good line.

I'm on a "good" line :)

Very happy so far and the firewall is solid.

QuoteDownstream Rate: 8128 kbps 
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps 
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 13.0 dB (Downstream), 25.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 25.3 dB (Downstream), 13.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.8 dBm (Downstream), 11.9 dBm (Upstream)

wireless is a good performer altho u dont need it...yet

runs really cool (the router) so no cause for alarm, cant cook an egg on it like my old one

Inactive

Quote from: Broadback on Dec 16, 2007, 18:53:18
One last question, (honest!) what is a reasonable price to pay for one?  I don't want to get carried away (they are coming to take me away) and pay over the odds!  :sigh:

I just got one from DigiDave on eBay for £8.01, ( missed one earlier for £5.50 ) plus £8.00 delivery, total £16.01, just to test it on my good line.

Rik

So we could have a full house shortly? :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Dec 18, 2007, 01:14:51
So we could have a full house shortly? :)

Looking that way Rik, I will see if it brings any improvements on my line, tho' highly unlikely.

I can always bung it back on the bay if it doesn't.

Just thought I would test one. ;)

Rik

It will be interesting to find out your experience. Certainly, for people with iffy lines it's a big improvement, maybe it will give you a bit more speed, maybe more stability, but you can be sure we're going to ask you for your before and after line stats. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Dec 18, 2007, 01:22:30
It will be interesting to find out your experience. Certainly, for people with iffy lines it's a big improvement, maybe it will give you a bit more speed, maybe more stability, but you can be sure we're going to ask you for your before and after line stats. :)

Possibly more speed Rik, my stability cannot be faulted, never had a drop out with the Zyxel.

Broadback

Okay, I have taken the plunge and expect mine later this week. I would happily give stats before and after if I knew how! :sigh:
As my line speeds are consistent, at a little under 3M, and I get several drop outs a week with my SAR30, at least I should know if it has improved.
A question about the inbuilt firewall.  If set up is it necessary, or desirable, to have a software one as well? Zone Alarm as served me well to date.

Rik

Instructions for extracting the stats from many routers are here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

On firewalls, opinion is divided. The router's firewall keeps out unauthorised inbound transaction, ie ones that do not match a request from a connected PC. However, they give no protection from malware on the PC connecting to the net. A software firewall, otoh, does. I used to run both, but after six months with no activity on the software firewall, I dropped it. I've never had a problem.

There are a couple of caveats to this, though. First, you must have a good and current AV product, second, you must be sure your machine is free from malware. I do this by regular scanning and by 'personal hygiene', ie I'm careful where I go on the web and what I open.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

using the 2700 my profile has gone from 4500 to 5500 as it holds the snr like a titan compared to my old Netgear and remained solid for 5 days till I messed about with the settings this morning  :D well you have to have a  play, and I must admit I could not be happier with this router :banana2:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

You have to play, Gary - I'm content to let it do its thing.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 18, 2007, 11:12:16
You have to play, Gary - I'm content to let it do its thing.  >:D
I seem to remember you doing a full reset on yours Rik ::)

Rik

Only to get rid of the password... :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

and to see how it worked a bit I bet  >:D ;)

Rik

No, until I cleared the password, I couldn't set it up...
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 18, 2007, 11:26:08
No, until I cleared the password, I couldn't set it up...
::) me thinks Rik likes to have a play as well though  :hehe:

Rik

No, honestly, Gary. All I'm interested in with a router is getting it set up, after that I keep an eye on the stats, but that's all. I set the 2700 'offline', then switched it in to replace the Netgear and haven't touched it since.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 18, 2007, 11:30:56
No, honestly, Gary. All I'm interested in with a router is getting it set up, after that I keep an eye on the stats, but that's all. I set the 2700 'offline', then switched it in to replace the Netgear and haven't touched it since.
I edited mine with Opera so i could add IDNet as a domain to it, that was what my fiddle was Rik  :) needed to for IGMP

Wingnutz

Just a quick question (new to IdNet ex-Virgin).

Currently using a freebie Speedtouch 330 USB modem. Liking the look of the improvements in speed etc that seem to be offered by the 2Wire 2700 modems.

Can someone tell me what the difference between the 2700HG and 2700HGV's is ? The 2700HG's seem to be cheaper.....

Thanks

Rik

:welc: and have a karma to celebrate your arrival.

The V version of the router supports VOIP directly. Otherwise, it's wireless, has four ethernet and one USB port.
Rik
--------------------

Wingnutz

Thanks Rik for the welcome and clarification of what the V means.

Looks like I'll opt for the cheaper one as VOIP not needed.

Rik

Glad to help, I'm sure you'll find it a big improvement on the 330, if only because of the firewall. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Welcome Wingnutz, have a welcome Karma.

:welc: :karmic:

Lance

Welcome to the forum.

The other thing with the VOIP version is that to actually get the VOIP working is very hit and miss. Normally it will only work for those on BT, but one or two others have suceeded.
Lance
_____