New photo gallery discussion

Started by Rik, Dec 19, 2007, 10:36:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I thought we were finding another side to you, Ray. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Dec 19, 2007, 14:15:35
I thought we were finding another side to you, Ray. :)

I might not grow many Orchids, Rik, but I do grow quite a few of these: -

http://gallery.idnet.com/main.php/v/Sheltieuk/Fero+macrodiscus.JPG.html
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Well, it's not a rose, an orchid or a cactus - that's my knowledge exhausted. :)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Dec 19, 2007, 16:34:03
Well, it's not a rose, an orchid or a cactus - that's my knowledge exhausted. :)

It is indeed a Cactus, Rik, this one will probably give you a better idea: -
http://gallery.idnet.com/main.php/v/Sheltieuk/A+Ornatum.JPG.html
Ray
--------------------

J!ll

Rik

Quote from: Sheltieuk on Dec 19, 2007, 16:41:22
It is indeed a Cactus, Rik, this one will probably give you a better idea: -
http://gallery.idnet.com/main.php/v/Sheltieuk/A+Ornatum.JPG.html

That's cheating, Ray, I have to see the spikes to be able to tell. :)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

J!ll

Quote from: Rik on Dec 19, 2007, 16:47:17
That's cheating, Ray, I have to see the spikes to be able to tell. :)

I could see them  :D

Rik

OK, let me re-phrase that, Jill. I actually have to be able to spike the end of my nose on a spike...  ;D
Rik
--------------------

J!ll

Simon

Just to add my two penneth to the original discussion, I think it's a great addition to the services available to IDNet customers, but it doesn't actually offer me anything I don't already have set up by other means, so I doubt that I would use it right now, but it's nice to know it's there.  :)
Simon.
--

Rik

I think the key is that it's there for all the customers who would like to share their photos with friends and family, Simon, but who aren't familiar with services like PhotoBucket. It also has the advantage of being IDNet-hosted, so it's fast. :)
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Quote from: Rik on Dec 19, 2007, 23:31:43
I think the key is that it's there for all the customers who would like to share their photos with friends and family, Simon, but who aren't familiar with services like PhotoBucket.
And also aren't familiar with the new Photo Gallery either, Rik. I still haven't a clue how to use it. :(

Rik

Have you set it up, Noreen, via your accounts page (navigation options on the left)?
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

No I haven't, Rik, because I don't really understand  it. I'll have a look in the morning. :)

Rik

Once you've set it up, Noreen, there's some guidelines on using the software before you login to it. Essentially, uploading a file is easy - just select it in a file manager window (or several files). They go to a default album, but you can create others and move them to it, select what you show or don't etc.

Have a look then feel free to ask questions. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Noreen on Dec 20, 2007, 00:10:04
No I haven't, Rik, because I don't really understand  it. I'll have a look in the morning. :)

It took me a while to get it sorted to my requirements Noreen, but got there in the end, read back through this thread for helpful advice.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

I don't know whether you've noticed, In, but the edit album option on the left edits the "front page" album which you see in the gallery. If you edit via the drop-down option, you edit that sub-album only.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Dec 20, 2007, 00:15:33
I don't know whether you've noticed, In, but the edit album option on the left edits the "front page" album which you see in the gallery. If you edit via the drop-down option, you edit that sub-album only.

Yes thanks Rik, I found that eventually.. :-[ :-[
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Me too - I couldn't work out why my edits weren't taking...
Rik
--------------------

Phil123

Just set mine up but won't bother posting any pics at the moment as everything seems to get posted in the main IDNet album page and all the permission settings may as well be written in Swahili. I don't want to password protect my pictures but by the same token I don't want them advertised on IDNet's gallery page. I just want to share pictures with people I know by giving them the URL. Any idea what I need to do to set this in the permissions settings? There is group permissions and user permission with about 20 options, none of which seem to have anything to do with not advertising my pictures on the IDNet gallery page, any ideas? 

Rik

Afaik, Phil, that's the way it works, but I'll check.
Rik
--------------------

Phil123

Quote from: Rik on Dec 21, 2007, 09:48:19
Afaik, Phil, that's the way it works, but I'll check.

OK, thanks Rik. Pretty much useless for me then. I'll just stick to ftping pictures to my webspace then.

Phil123

According to the gallery set up page in my account I should be able to hide the photo's although it doesn't really say how. It says:

By default all photos are visible to everyone. To protect your privacy you can either password protect your photos or hide them so people wishing to view your photos need to know the link to the album.

Rik

The latter might work by setting up a sub-album, Phil.
Rik
--------------------