Ofcom flexing its muscles

Started by Rik, Dec 19, 2007, 14:45:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The BBC is reporting that Ofcom is to tighten up on broadband selling, "Broadband firms could face formal action if they fail to give consumers accurate information about the speed they will get when they sign up.

The warning comes from Ofcom as it moves to ensure that net firms do not oversell broadband in advertising.

Customers should get specific data about the speed on their line or be able to back out of the deal."

Just one flaw in this, I feel. It's down to BT what speeds users get, and their checker is notoriously inaccurate, particularly before a connection has been established. If users can back out of the contract, Ofcom needs to provide a mechanism for BT to refund ISPs the setup fee.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Ofcomedy actually do something in the interests of customers.

Novel idea. ;D ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Dec 19, 2007, 14:57:20
Ofcomedy actually do something in the interests of customers.

Novel idea. ;D ;D
Its only words Inactive, and you know actions speak louder >:D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

You can't use actions and Ofcom in the same sentence, Gary, it just doesn't make sense.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 19, 2007, 14:59:17
You can't use actions and Ofcom in the same sentence, Gary, it just doesn't make sense.  ;D
:rofl: :karmic:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

merlin

yes you may get what speed they say , but that will be at first connection ,what happens after the settling in period.

so which will offtencon settle for the initial or settled speed ??

Rik

Knowing Ofcom, they'll manage to come up with a suitable formula which achieves nothing and upsets everyone.  :sigh:
Rik
--------------------

john

I think that there are so many bottlenecks in the internet that it's difficult for anyone to specify what speed your actually getting. If I download something the speed can vary from less than 5k to over 500k depending where I'm downloading it and the time of day and sometimes some webpages are displayed instantly and others can take over a minute.

Rik

That is certainly part of the problem, John, but if we restrict the issue to connection speed there remains the problem that, until a new connection is established, the best information available is a guesstimate from BT, which appears to lean towards optimism. If Ofcom want to have a back-out option, they will have to ensure that ISPs are not left paying for the connection setup. That way, BT might even have an incentive to improve their infrastructure.
Rik
--------------------

Den

How can anybody predict what speed you will get before you sign up? BT said I should expect about 1mb and with my previous ISP I was getting less than 2mb. Now I'm getting about 6.2mbs but my friend next door is getting 3.2mbs also with Idnet. Now I am getting 6.2mbs because I am willing to play around with the settings and adjust if required but not everybody can do this so I am going to see if we can get his speed up and find out whats wrong with his wiring. How can Idnet be held at fault for this? No way.
Mr Music Man.

Rik

That's the problem, Den. There are so many reasons why people don't get the speeds they would like, most of which have little to do with the ISP - unless you're with one of the big firms, that is.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

It shows how out of touch Ofcom really are.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

I always thought Ofcom was more 'out of body' than out of touch. ;)
Rik
--------------------