Should I ????

Started by alcav, Jan 18, 2008, 16:44:52

Previous topic - Next topic

alcav

Hi guys and Gals,

forgive the ignorance(this b****y broadband lark gets me in a tizzy)but should I be getting a steady 54 mbps in my wireless connection thingy in my tray?cos I aint,over the last few days it seems to have gone berserk with readings going down to 1 mbps at night!!,and a nosedive on my sig strength from 90% to 60/70%.During the daytime it is reasonabe,at the moment it is 36 mbps and 90% ss.

During the hours of darkness I also suffer sn/ratio of -2 to 5db,though the the router does hold the connection 99% of the time, with the random d/c always in the evening.

Perhaps someone could explain ???

Rgds....Alan

Rik

Hi Alan

You've got two separate issues there. Let's deal with the ADSL first. The fluctuating noise margin says that your line is being hit by noise during the hours when it's most susceptible, after dark. Depending on how frequently you are disconnecting, you may want to think about whether you can improve your internal phone wiring.

The wireless signal problem suggests that there may be another network nearby which is interfering with you. If you choose to view all networks, can you see another with a strong signal? You may want to try moving to another wireless channel to see if it helps. Try channels 1 or 6 initially, you make the changes in your router, the computer will pick them up automatically.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

alcav

HI Rik,

thanks for that,I have changed to chan 1 and it has gone back to 54 mbps,although my connection config in control panel is still showing chan 11 ??

How do I  view all networks,BTW?  :)

I will try to do a bit more snooping around the phone socket re-the noise,the only thing I can think that would cause a prob is a cordless phone close by,but I have tried unplugging that to no avail.

Alan

Rik

Hi Alan

Right click on the wireless icon in the system tray, you should have a 'view all' option from that menu. Not sure why it's still telling you 11, but if it's cured the problem, co-channel interference seems likely to be the villain of the piece.

On the wiring front, if you've ruled out the phone, the other issue to consider is the ring wire (terminal three) assuming you have multiple extensions. Removing this can come close to working miracles.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.