Worst ISP you were with before you joined IDNET ?

Started by Dont mention Talk Talk !!, Jan 02, 2008, 00:03:29

Previous topic - Next topic

madasahatter

I nearly went with Newnet, but changed my mind at the last minute and cam here - so glad I did :)

The worst ISP just has to be tiscali with their extreme "pile it high, sell it cheap, tie them in for 12 months so they can't do anything about the poor service" attitude. The final straw for me with tiscali is one time that they were having major problems with something (e-mail I think it was) - it took them two days to even admit that there was a major fault, despite their support forums being full of complaints and their support desk seemingly swamped by calls all reporting the same thing. Even when they did admit that there was a fault their attitude was "we're working on it - stop bothering us". I still go in their support forums (just to feel smug ;)), and see the same issues being reported time and time again, but nothing seems to ever change.

Now we all know that problems occur from time to time - they are bound to, and I'm not saying that every service should be 100% fault free, but the difference between a good and a bad company is in how quickly and efficiently they manage the problem.

Malc

I was with pipex (tiscalli in sheeps clothing) left because DL speeds between 7am and 12pm were like dial up.

Also they claim, no throttling, no port blockings and say they are not tiscalli.

Liars.

Before that I was with onetel, who were great untill talktalk took over them.

kinmel

When Adsl first started in the UK many of us were refused connections because of line length and some of us were foolish enough to join a satellite ISP, in my case Satdrive.  The up-link to the ISP was using a 56k modem dial-up and the down-link was a satellite connection through a 1 metre dish.

There is not a lot of bandwidth with one satellite transponder and once the number of users increased, contention became horrendous. The theoretical 8Mb/s download speed would give 2kb/s at peak periods !  Satdrive always denied the contention had anything to do with them, support was non-existent and their in-house  forum would constantly delete posts. Comments posted there were so bad that in the end only customers were allowed to access the forum.
That was when we set up our own open forum at Satdriveusers and it worked in direct competition with Satdrive's own .  Eventually, as with so many companies where the customer is always wrong, Satdrive went bust.

This forum reminds me of Satdriveusers, it too had a great atmosphere with none of the cliques you see elsewhere. Idnetter's ambiance also follows the idea of the Satdriveusers strapline ..... Helping you to help yourself

I am just so pleased that IDNet see this forum as an asset and not as the enemy. 

I like it here.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Lance

As do we! For as long as IDNet keep providing a top quality connection, things will stay just as they are!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Quote from: Dazbobaby on Jan 13, 2008, 17:01:10
DSG employee and not freeserve.
Bad to worse? Yep. Leave me alone, I served my time, did and 8 year stretch, still no idea what I did to deserve that :D

My heart goes out to you, 8 years at DSG... ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

azkin13

Hi, I'm a newbie on here, just joined IDNet, registered my MAC last night and should be connected on the 13th.  I'm still with Supanet who are now a pile of s***e.  They are deliberately throttling bandwidth in the evenings such that my 8MB connection is down to 0.1 or 0.2 between 4pm and midnight.

So after considerable research using the forums on Thinkbroadband and elsewhere, I whittled it down and looked at Newnet, Be* (LLU)  but decided to come here  ;D

Looking forward to proper speeds again on the 13th  :)   Previously I have been with Demon (dial-up), Pipex, Supanet  >:( and now IDNet.  Hope I'll be here for a long time  ;D

Az

Rik

Hi Az and welcome to the forum, have a karma. :)  :welc: :karmic:

You'll find most of us purr gently when we talk of IDNet, I'm sure you'll find the speed and service great, and we are always happy to help you tweak your setup for maximum performance. :)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Hi azkin

I'm sure you'll find that you made the right decision - welcome to IDNet land

Inactive

Welcome aboard Happy Land azkin..

Have a welcome Karma.. :welc: :karmic:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Malc

azkin13

:) Thanks for the warm welcome, feels good already and I'm not connected yet  ;)  Supanet sent me notification with the MAC that I would have to pay £39.99 disconnection fee even though my 12 month contract was up and I had given 30 days notice.  Apparently in the small print they have a clause about disconnecting within 24 months.  Well I won't be paying this and will challenge them, I was not made aware of this upfront....Don't know if any others on here have challenged Supanet about this and what the outcome was?

Az

Rik

I've not heard of anyone else falling foul of this, Az. One thing they can't do is to withold your MAC until you pay, so you may want to let them know that you know that if they play up. You may be able to argue that the contract falls foul of the Unfair Contract Terms Act - if the contract period was 12 months, it would not be reasonable for you to expect any penalties after that time.

IDNet is, of course, a one month contract, no penalties, so no worries. :) Not that many of us leave...
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Feb 08, 2008, 11:49:36
Not that many of us leave...

It's like Royston Vasey innit?

This is a local ISP for local people - there's nothing for you here  ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Indeed - IDNet have the "precious things" in abundance  :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

shazzy

My worst ISP was Tiscali, who were originally World Online who were originally Localtel when I joined them.  What a nightmare that was.  I and a few others constantly fought for the right to get a mac because the service was so shoddy.  It got so bad that twice I had to email Mary Turner and get her to try and sort things out.  hehe I even got a personal phonecall from her office once to check that things were alright after.  Finally though one day, I was asked to beta test a mac key.  14 days later I was on Nildram who were a fantastic gaming ISP until........ yes you guessed it, Tiscali took over.  What a nightmare.  I was not going to put up with them ever again so high tailed it to Idnet. :D 

Rik

Tiscali - they spend more money on advertising than they do on the service!  :mad:
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

They've got to do, to replace the ones that are constantly leaving  >:D

Rik

Which they've pretty much admitted. Strange way to do business.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

I heard that they are planning on building up numbers in order to flog it off, strange way of achieving that goal.

madasahatter

Who's going to be daft enough to buy a loss making company with a dreadful reputation?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

madasahatter

:lol:

Yeah - then the government can bail it out, and it'll become the state ISP, and we'll all end up having to pay a locence fee for it whether we use it or not, and.......... :o