New router...

Started by AvengerUK, Sep 08, 2006, 12:31:01

Previous topic - Next topic

AvengerUK

Hey all,

Now that my pings are sorted, im looking for a router that allows a Target SNR to be set. The router will need:

- Firewall
- IP QoS Preferably
- Online configeration
- DMZ And port forwarding capabilitys
- One that loves long lines!

A price not above £80 aswell!

Thanks

AvengerUK

*bump  ::)*

Really its between the ZyXcel 660H or the Speedtouch 546

jimc

Hi
Avenger

well I am still happy with the zyxel 660H as reported in our previous thread,
I still get the occaisonal disconnection, but nowhere near as much as before.

AvengerUK

Quote from: jimc on Sep 11, 2006, 13:14:09
Hi
Avenger

well I am still happy with the zyxel 660H as reported in our previous thread,
I still get the occaisonal disconnection, but nowhere near as much as before.

I would go for the Zyxel...just the DMT compatability of the speedtouch range (ie, can set a target SNR) stops me from pressing buy! - i really cant decide which one will offer the best option, i.e. the speedtouch can be tweaked for a higher SNR = less disconnects, but the Zyxel might do that for me anyway!

jimc

well the zyxel has the extended reach capability, no idea how or if this works it does seem to have made my connection more stable though,
flip a coin its only a router, you can always exchange it if it doesnt live up to the hype.

Jim

AvengerUK

depends though, when you say "Exchange" do you mean "Flog it" or send it back? (basically if send it back...is there any particular retailer to buy from!?)

jimc

I have used broadbandbuyer before with no problems, I am sure as with most retailers there are reasonable return policies , ie if its unsuitable or does not work as described return it.

AvengerUK

Ok, ill give the Zyxel a go then! **reads return policy's first** ;)

Thanks for your help

Jeff

I`m a Netgear fanboy as you well know, can`t really recommend any others as I`m chuffed with what I have and wouldn`t change a good thing ;)

equk

I was looking at the zyxel with the free usb wifi dongle :)

Seems like  quite good value for money, also I've seen people on other forums saying you can 'tweak' the SNR for maxdsl :) Not sure if it's something in a new firmware or something tho as I seem to remember there being a link to new firmware.

The other router I was looking at was the netgear DG834G/DG834 or DG834GT. But as I don't really need a wifi AP (as I already have one with iptables firewall etc) both would be a bit overkill.

Tonight I ordered a wireless VoIP router with the same chipset as the netgear DG834G for £10 incl postage lol, hope it works tho haha  ;D

*random*hmm this is my first post here on camino on mac osx
e6400 @ 3.2Ghz 38°C 45°C | ATI X1900XT | P5W DH | ss: linux | osx
migration complete - sync 5mb 500k - stable low ping times

Jeff

Can`t complain at a tenner equk, who cares if it`s s***e for that sort of money ;)

equk

Quote from: Jeff on Sep 11, 2006, 22:04:49
Can`t complain at a tenner equk, who cares if it`s s***e for that sort of money ;)
That's what I was thinking hehe :)

My conn seems ok atm so I'm sure my current router is fine but as Simon and peeps said about different chipsets might make a difference, it's worth a try for £10  ;D

Jeff

fwiw, I`m still using the ancient DG632 ... gives me a 6.5 Mbit sync on a 2½ km line and can even sustain sync when snr is zero ... or below ;)

AvengerUK

Bought the Zyxel, i just hope it puts the safecom in its place! - If not broadband buyer seem to have a very reasonable return policy!

AvengerUK

Looking around it seems you can set target snr with the zyxel with this command via errr telnet or w/e its called:

Quoteyou can also slightly tweak the target snr margin to connect a lower rate and increase stability. With adslmax it only seems to work when increasing the snr.

wan adsl targetnoise X

where X is between 0xfa (-6) and 0x06 (+6) where each point is .5db of snr, so..

0xfa reduces the target by 3db,
0xfc reduces the target by 2db,
0x00 does nothing,
0x02 increases the target by 1db,

etc

jimc any ideas if this is possible with the router we have?

(and how do you use telnet ;) )

Scott

I used to use PuTTY to get onto my IPCop box and tinker a few years back - windows interface and a bit more user-friendly ;)
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

AvengerUK

Thanks for that scott! - would've taken me years to find!

Looks like this is possible with the 660H - its better than i thought :)

equk

Windows has telnet built in tho  ???

PuTTY is good for SSH

for telnet just do command prompt - telnet "ip"
or even easier in webbrowser put in telnet://ip.address

AvengerUK

Arrived today! Just put it on, and i must say BRILLIENT! - highest sync ever, and so far its kept it. Nice user interface & features...all be it confusing to me atm ;)

Simon_idnet

Several customer have reported marked improvements recently but installing up-to-date routers. We're not sure yet whether the newest chips sets and/or firware are helping or if it is just a case of finding a router that suits your particular line characteristcs.

My own router at started dropping connections frequently after a thunderstorm earlier in the summer. Disabling the wireless capability on my router has fixed this for me.

Simon

AvengerUK

Thats also when my last router started to resync alot, after a thunderstorm! - Currently my new router is keeping sync better than the old one, although still througout today theres been the tell-tale packetloss that is usually assiociated with storms - i just hope i dont have a line issue cropped up!  :laugh:

Note to people: I now have 3 spare modems, 2 of which i cant sell due them having slight issues/being generally old - if anyone fancies taking them off my hands for free let me know!

Bill

Quote from: AvengerUK on Sep 13, 2006, 22:27:37I now have 3 spare modems

Ditto... but one stays here (56k USR Courier), the other two are genuine Hayes- one goes to 2400 baud, the other to 9600.

When does Antiques Roadshow come round my way I wonder?  ;D
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

equk

got my £10 router today :)

seems a cool little box :) it runs linux aswell  8) one good thing it seems to be doing is stopping the double NAT problem I had with the origo

not sure if it's made much difference yet tho as I've only just installed it :( will see in the morning I guess.

I had the connection timeout totally earlier for over an hour tho :( pinging the gateway at high ping times again :-\ (on my origo)

seems to have bluetooth/wifi/usb storage/voip/iptables lol and I've disabled most of it and have it on DMZ  :D

AvengerUK

Hmmmm,

SLight weird non-idnet (i think) related issue....basically on traces my second hop thats not my router times out on the first try - all other trys are fine. It also seem to trace fine after the first tracert / some use of the internet!

Any ideas?

wolverene

Just which Zyxcel have you bought.I`ve seen them listed as 660H, 660HW,Prestige 660 H61. Dont want to order the wrong one.
Cheers