How long do broadband markers(or whatever they are called) eft on linenot idnet

Started by ryouga, Sep 14, 2006, 17:57:53

Previous topic - Next topic

ryouga

I cancelled my Tiscali account, I found a clause out of it, though I had some time left.

Anyay my account with them is closed, but broadband is still enabled on line, just when I connect, and open my browser, I get a message saying I need to update details as my Direct Debit has been cancelled, so I have no service.

Anyway, I want to get IDNet, and be crafty by signing up to Orange 30 day trial, as you can cancel and get a MAC within these 30 days with no penalty fees(Even get the 30 days money back)

Then I have a MAC code and can get IDnet on.

But I am worried about it taking weeks for the marker to go, andthen another 10 days for it to be reconnected and such.

maxping

Bear in mind I'm only a tyre kicker but i think you should have waited and migrated to your next ISP.

The problem you now face is AOL can drag its heels and probably will in releasing (non tecky term :) ) your line and until they do you are screwed.

You will also face a fee to join IDNet or any ISP as you are not migrating in , IDNet charge £47 (not sure if it includes V.A.T)

I'm sure others will add more info but i think i have covered the basics.

Can i also ask why you posted this in the "Rant" Forum?

mrapoc

i paid nout to join? u mean the fee is for activation ja? if u havent had broadband yet

maxping

Quote from: mrapoc on Sep 14, 2006, 18:47:30
i paid nout to join? u mean the fee is for activation ja? if u havent had broadband yet

If you migrate in from another ISP its free , if you just join you have to pay for activation.

mrapoc

karvala

Ofcom rules say that Tiscali must remove the marker from your line within 15 working days (aka three weeks) from the time you left, though in reality this has been known to take longer and there's not much you can do if it does except kept shouting at them.  It will take up to another ten days for the next provider to reactivate broadband on the line.

It's not clear from the Orange website whether or not your trick of joining them and then migrating within the first 30 days to avoid the IDNet connection charge will work, because it doesn't state whether or not Orange will pay that connection charge or expect you to say it; indeed, their website doesn't even seem to consider the possibility that someone might be having a new connection rather than migrating.  I'd be surprised if they did pay it, and you didn't have to repay it if migrating during the trial period, because they would lose a lot of money.

ryouga

Just a quick update, I got letter at weekend saying it will take 10-15 days(doesnt say working, though you know what thats like)

What I am worried about now, is I got a letter saying I have cancelled my direct debit, and so my service has been suspended, so I phoned, and I get told conflicting things.
I am told my account is definatly cancelled, but there is an outstanding amount, so my service is suspended! I have phoned technical support once, customer support 3 times, and cancellations twice, and each person tells me account is cancelled.]

So since I got letter from Tiscali saying I will be switched off within 10-15 days from date cancelled(last week) I guess its ok, but I am paranoid I will wait a month and it wont be off, then  another week.

Also I asked why I was never issued a MAC code like I requested, and the customer services people(each time I phoned) said it was ok, just had to get it from cancellations, but cancellations were very rude and said my account showed as cancelled so they refused.

What a life!