ThinkBroadband speed test

Started by Noreen, Jan 03, 2008, 10:39:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

I know that some people here aren't keen on speed tests as such but I've just done the test at ThinkBroadband so that I could do the monthly ISP rating. I got a result of 5988.99 Kbps this surprised me as I'd just previously done a BT test and got a result of 6803 Kbps, I'd gone straight from one test to the other. The only consolation is that I presume that the apparent reduction in speed would apply to all persons rating their ISP via the speed test. I would have assumed that the BT was more reliable but is that so? 

Gary

Speed tests can vary but I find the BT speed tester more reliable Noreen to be honest, some of the others appear to give wildly different readings :-\
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

TheMonkey

can i ask if anyone was having speed issues yesterday? i haven't tested it today as i am now at work but my browsing was taking ages to load and my speedtests were showing my download speed as 1 meg :o(

1st problem i've had with speeds since joining. hope its all ok. my router stats are exactly the same i posted in another thread. i'll try and find it.
Vrooooooooooom........oh wait. Whats happened?

Noreen

Yes Gary, I'd also done a Speedtest.net test and as usual it was even faster than BT. It seems unfortunate that ThinkBroadband's slower test results are involved in their ISP rating system. 

Gary

Quote from: Noreen on Jan 03, 2008, 11:00:13
Yes Gary, I'd also done a Speedtest.net test and as usual it was even faster than BT. It seems unfortunate that ThinkBroadband's slower test results are involved in their ISP rating system. 
I wonder if there is a bias involved their somehow Noreen ::)

Gary

Quote from: TheMonkey on Jan 03, 2008, 10:54:40
can i ask if anyone was having speed issues yesterday? i haven't tested it today as i am now at work but my browsing was taking ages to load and my speedtests were showing my download speed as 1 meg :o(

1st problem i've had with speeds since joining. hope its all ok. my router stats are exactly the same i posted in another thread. i'll try and find it.
No issues here at all, have you had a sync event maybe, or loss of power that may cause the line to see an issue?

Noreen

Quote from: Killhippie on Jan 03, 2008, 11:04:07
I wonder if there is a bias involved their somehow Noreen ::)
Are you confusing them with DSL ZoneUK Gary? ;D

Inactive

Quote from: Noreen on Jan 03, 2008, 11:09:35

You wouldn't be suggesting that DSL Zone is biased Noreen??  ;D ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

Quote from: Noreen on Jan 03, 2008, 11:09:35
:D I never trust any site Noreen that says its not biased  ;) but I may have been

TheMonkey

Quote from: Killhippie on Jan 03, 2008, 11:05:12
No issues here at all, have you had a sync event maybe, or loss of power that may cause the line to see an issue?

not sure, i changed to homesupermax about a week ago and everything was fine. tried reseting my router and turning it off for 30 seconds but no joy.

Rik

I've not seen any speed issues, and with IDNet back in the office yesterday, I'm sure we would have heard of any problems. Like Gary, I think you need to look for any local issues, running a BT speed test would be a good starting place.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ann

Mine was just now 6552 with BT and 6490 with thinkbroadband so not much different.  Probably just a blip for Noreen.

Simon

Perhaps any speed issues were due to IDNet catching up on all their emails!  ;D
Simon.
--

TheMonkey

i tried that rik but i can never get it to work. runs the speed test but the bar gets not even a quater the way across and nothing happens. i check back about 30mins later but its still the same.

i live in a flat and my niegbours upstairs have been banging around and hammering. bit of a long shot but do you think they've nicked a wire somewhere?

Gary

Quote from: TheMonkey on Jan 03, 2008, 12:04:40
i tried that rik but i can never get it to work. runs the speed test but the bar gets not even a quater the way across and nothing happens. i check back about 30mins later but its still the same.

i live in a flat and my niegbours upstairs have been banging around and hammering. bit of a long shot but do you think they've nicked a wire somewhere?
Do you use firefox or IE for that test? I find it only works in IE myself :)

Rik

Quote from: TheMonkey on Jan 03, 2008, 12:04:40

It's always possible, or someone is using an appliance which is electrically noisy. What are your router stats like?
Rik
--------------------

TheMonkey

the same as i posted in the other thread that you mentioned were good. i'll have to find them.

oh and i used firefox for that test. if its still a problem later i'll give it a go in IE.  :)

TheMonkey

same as these

QuotePort      Status      TxPkts      RxPkts      Collisions      Tx B/s      Rx B/s      Up Time
WAN    PPPoA    104    101    0    175    434    00:01:13
LAN    10M/100M    599    818    0    2346    1180    00:01:41

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    8128 kbps    832 kbps
Line Attenuation    20 db    5.5 db
Noise Margin    12 db    9 db

Rik

Nothing wrong with those. If it continues, have a word with IDNet. The only things I can think of are exchange congestion or significant noise causing lots of re-sends.
Rik
--------------------

TheMonkey

it happend after i took the chrimbo tree down. maybe its sad  ;D

Rik

Could you have disturbed anything in the process. I'm just wndering if you had a low sync event and your profile hasn't recovered?
Rik
--------------------

TheMonkey

i don't think so. unpluged an adapter but don't think anyhting was disturbed. my comp is in my bedroom and the phone wire starts right from there.  ???

Gary

Quote from: TheMonkey on Jan 03, 2008, 12:39:49
i don't think so. unpluged an adapter but don't think anyhting was disturbed. my comp is in my bedroom and the phone wire starts right from there.  ???
can you try a BT speed test in IE? And do you have the latest version of the Java runtime as well since it uses that.

Rik

Quote from: TheMonkey on Jan 03, 2008, 12:39:49

What Gary said - a BT test would help a lot right now.

I'm just wondering whether you could have disturbed any electrical connections, sufficient to cause a noise storm?
Rik
--------------------

TheMonkey

ok cool guys, like i say i'm at work at the mo so i'll post some stats later. thanks for you time  ;D