Government piles filesharing pressure on UK ISPs

Started by somanyholes, Jan 09, 2008, 12:50:26

Previous topic - Next topic

somanyholes

Rik

I don't know whether IDNet have been involved in the talks, but I'd like a member of the Govt to explain to me how ISPs are meant to examine every packet of data and determine whether it's pirated material or not.

Perhaps they could devote some of their energy to safeguarding they personal data they hold on us, rather than lining the pockets of the film and record industries?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Jan 09, 2008, 12:58:44

Perhaps they could devote some of their energy to safeguarding they personal data they hold on us, rather than lining the pockets of the film and record industries?

Agreed, it looks like the usual  " Who is running the show " again, we all know the answer.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Interesting that Apple is going to reduce the cost of downloads for UK users to the same level as the rest of Europe, sometime in the next six months. If the entertainments industry treats us as they do, are they surprised that people pirate?
Rik
--------------------

john

Are they also going to ask BT to check every packet of data too.

I think they may be opening a can of worms here as I can see that it will force filesharers to use a method of encrypting their data. Obviously there would be difficulties with this but it would encourage methods to be found that make this a lot simpler. If this happens then a lot more data/files will be encrypted and then the Government won't have a clue what's being sent whether its copyrighted material or other illegal activities.

Rik

It will be just like any war, John. Measure and counter-measure. The losers will, I expect, be us - even if we don't download pirated material. :(
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

Hi Guys

The following is still not clear in my my head. Is this piece of legislation advising that isp's, should  be performing deep packet inspection etc, or is it advising that isp's must disconnect users seen to be abusing copyright when they are informed by a remote party?

Rik

Yes. :)

Like all Govt pronouncements, it can mean anything to anyone. ;)
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

I really hope this is not at the isp level. The amount of things this will affect is mad.

1. Increase in latency due to packet inspection
2. Increase in cost to the isp (past on to customer ?)
3. Continuing with the governments current Orwellian theme
4. Less income to the isp due to services being reduced (package wise)
5. Workarounds being implemented by the filesharers, in little time. Involving, proxy's, secure tunnels to remote countries, increased encryption, either through the likes of bittorrent, or usenet.
6. Increase in load on isp's equipment due to more encryption being used.
7. Legitimate services becoming blocked
8. Legitimate users getting kicked, due to botnets, wireless hacks etc.

this list goes on ....

another 1/2 arsed idea. The canary islands is looking very promising at the moment.

Worth watching, if you are interested in copyright, through the ages, from the printing press through to present day p2p.

http://www.stealthisfilm.com/Part2/