Noise problems again

Started by psp83, Jan 06, 2008, 22:37:46

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Quote from: Ann on Feb 13, 2008, 23:47:54with Paul's idiot guide getting it up and running was a doddle so that's definitely  :karmic:

Thanks, and glad i could help out  ;D

Some other stuff you might want to do if you haven't already is.

Go to the advanced settings on the firewall page.
Check the "stealth mode and block ping" box
Uncheck the "inbound remote management" box
Click save

Ann

Noise margin has always been high.  It never stopped a decent synch speed though.  Still it'll be interesting to see what happens now.. if anything.

Thanks, Paul.  I've turned off wireless as I don't need it but I'll do that other stuff too.. cheers.

Simon

What does 'inbound remote management' do, Paul?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Winning the lottery and getting a 2700 Ann, double result, well done. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Sebby

Quote from: Ann on Feb 14, 2008, 00:08:00
Noise margin has always been high.  It never stopped a decent synch speed though.  Still it'll be interesting to see what happens now.. if anything.

This is my thinking... If you're sync'ing at ~6.3Mb @ 15dB, then you could probably achieve full sync at a SNRM higher than 6dB. Perhaps your noise margin was always high, despite your target being 6dB, as your line was good enough to be able to achieve full sync without having to drop to 6dB. Then, some noise problems caused the target SNRM to go up to 15dB, but this has only had a 4dB impact on you (assuming that you were at about 11dB before), whereas it would have a 9dB impact for most people who actually sync at 6dB.

psp83

Quote from: Simon on Feb 14, 2008, 00:10:38
What does 'inbound remote management' do, Paul?
I guess its for when BT supply them to there business customers and can remotely manage the router if the company has any problems?

Sebby

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 14, 2008, 00:20:59
I guess its for when BT supply them to there business customers and can remotely manage the router if the company has any problems?

My non-BT version has it too. Perhaps that enables remote management, or maybe it just opens the firewall for it. I haven't seen a separate option to enable remote management.

psp83

My netgear "remote management" is enabled and firewall rules are made and port has been forwarded.. this way i can access my router from work if i dont want to log into my pc from work and do it that way.

I'm guessing the 2700 router option is for the same reason. My works router is managed by the ISP.

kinmel

Ann, I hope you set a password to access the router too.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

miker

Quote from: Rik on Jan 11, 2008, 10:05:21
Some Sky boxes are very noisy and, if connected to the phone line, can take ADSL down. In the worst cases, they can put so much noise on the line that they take out neighbours' connections as well. If you don't need it connected, don't connect it. ;)

Rik - is there a reference to this? I ask as MY ADSL started to get bad after my neighbour installed Sky/Internet and it will be on the wall beside mine!

Rik

Hi Mike

Only apocryphal, you'll occasionally find references at Digital Spy, and I knew one of the senior technicians at Sky who had met the issue.
Rik
--------------------

miker

So how to test? Any clever [or simple] ideas?

Mike

Rik

Simplest way is to ask the neighbour if they can unplug their box from the line - observe what happens to your noise margin. If that's not feasible, get hold of an AM radio, de-tune it, and walk around listening for an increase in white noise.
Rik
--------------------