Noise problems again

Started by psp83, Jan 06, 2008, 22:37:46

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Well my connection has been fine for months now.

I done the usual stuff, checked and double checked everything, new wiring, new router, a £169 bill from BT just for a new faceplate  :cens:

I've had several connection drops/resync's trouble is, it always sync's back at the highest and not get lower to find a stable rate for the noise margin ::)

Looks like another call to IDnet.. But BT wont listen to them requesting that my default noise margin to be put up.. So i don't know what to do to be honest.

Sebby

Right, I just had a read of your original post on the topic of noise problems to familiarise myself with what's gone on, and to try not to suggest things you've already tried! After all, I know how infuriating noise issues can be without being told to try things you've already tried a million times. :)

When you say BT fitted a new faceplate, did they fit an NTE5? First thing's first, I want to determine whether this is related to extension wiring (remember that even if you are plugged into the master, it will still be affected by noise picked up by extension wiring) or whether it's something else; so if they did, what are the results when connected to the test socket?

I think you should hold off calling IDNet for a little bit. They can escalate it to BT again, but your target SNRM is already at its highest, and if they've found no fault in the past (implying they won't find one now) it's probably going to be pretty fruitless.

What new router have you tried? I've never found Netgears to be good on Max - I used to see a wild noise margin. I'm thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering if what you're experiencing could be a case of the AR7 incompatibility. I've got a spare 2Wire 2700HG now (although no power adaptor) so I could arrange to lend you that if you're interested.

Sebby

Something else I forgot to mention...

Perhaps clutching at straws a little, but are you using the cable that came supplied with the router to connect to the filter? These are generally of poor quality and susceptable to noise pickup. Getting a short, twisted-pair replacement is worthwhile.

There's other things I could say, but for now I'll hold off and wait to hear back from you. Don't let it get you down - we'll do everything we can to help you solve this one.  ;)

Lance

For the effort it your posts, sebby, you deserve a karma!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

BT put a filtered faceplate on which has one for modem/router and one for phone line, dont know what its called..

router is plugged into the master socket with a shielded RJ11 http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=RJ11-7M-ICE same as the one in the link but at 1.5m

i then connect my computers to the router with shielded twisted-pair cat5e cable avoiding any heating pipes or electrical cables

the router is a Netgear DG834G that IDnet configed for me when i bought it off them as replacement for my Netgear DG834PN router.

when BT came out, the bloke tested with a speedtouch modem and got top sync and snr around 13.. i can get top sync but snr is all over the place and mainly around 3 dropping to below 0, he also tested the pole outside and didnt find anything.

Pic to my router setup (2.3mb)..
http://www.uposted.co.uk/pics/router.jpg

Sebby

Okay, so it looks like your setup is good.

I know you've already bought a new router, so another one may seem ridiculous. At this time, I believe your problem is the Netgear; I've experienced the same thing myself. A SpeedTouch 585v6 or 2Wire 2700HG could well be the answer to your problems, the latter being available for as little as £10 on eBay. Plus, you can always sell your old routers and make your money back.

IMHO, it's your only hope of sorting this out. :(

psp83

ebay doesn't show any for me  ???

Ted

Try searching for bt business hub.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Ted

If anyone is after a brand new Dual ssid version i can recommend This seller on Ebay.
They are factory security sealed and arrive quickly. The seller also accepts offers ;D so you can pick one of these up for around £20-£25 inc p&p

Ted

Ted

Inactive

Nice tip Ted, many thanks. :thnks:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

psp83

Are they unlocked? if not, how do you unlock them?

Ted

No they are not "unlocked" but its very easy using DNS poisoning. Plenty of info on here and at the scream forums. Only takes a few minutes and they work great.
If you need the details let me know and i'll post them up here.
Ted

Rik

Lance posted here. If you can add anything, please do Ted. :)
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Thinking about getting one of these tonight, but what are the features like on the router etc. Also what is the wireless like? with the netgear dg834g i get 4 out of 5 wireless signal in the very far room at the back of the house.

Rik

Most people feel the wireless is at least as good as anything else, often better. With the SBC firmware, it's possible (if illegal) to crank the power up.

What sort of features were you interested in, Paul. It's a fairly standard 4-port router, though it does have a couple of VOIP ports, plus a USB port, which can be handy if you have a machine without ethernet.

The firewall seems more 'powerful' than the Netgear one, though logging isn't as informative.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

I would suggest you get one from the link posted by xild, not the one that I posted, I have had 2 from him now, one didn't work at all, the second connected at a really stupid low speed on my good line.

Remember that the one at xild's link is the newer version Dual ssid. ;)

Lance

One thing the router doesn't have is UPnP. I don't miss it though :)
Lance
_____

Rik

Good point, Lance. That might be important to some, but I've always disabled UPnP in Windows, so have never had the occasion to miss it. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Lance on Jan 07, 2008, 12:55:38
One thing the router doesn't have is UPnP. I don't miss it though :)

I don't even know what it is Lance, so it's a sure fact that I wouldn't miss it. ;D

psp83

Can i block sites with keywords etc? I have a 9yr old niece that uses the pc downstairs and don't want her accessing certain sites.

Also usual features of the dg834g router, like firewall rules and port rules etc.

Adam

Quote from: psp83 on Jan 07, 2008, 12:59:06
Can i block sites with keywords etc? I have a 9yr old niece that uses the pc downstairs and don't want her accessing certain sites.

You may find OpenDNS useful in a situation like this, if you register you can block by domain, set blocking for adult websites, and setup shortcuts to commonly used websites. ;)
Adam

Ted

It does have parental controls and content screening which ought to do the job.
Ted

Lance

The content screening and controls are very good and very customisable. I changed them when I had a 11 year old using the connection for a few days.
Lance
_____

Sebby

Quote from: psp83 on Jan 07, 2008, 10:19:15
ebay doesn't show any for me  ???
Try looking under a seller called digidave_ie. A couple have had routers that have been a bit dodgy (myself included - mine had an intermittent LED) but he replaced it without a fuss. It might be worth going down this route as they're cheap because they're refurbished.