Moving over to idnet

Started by Barndog, Jan 09, 2008, 11:10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Barndog

Hello to all, well my long year with Pipex is just about up, im due my mac code today am going to move to idnet,i must say i hadnt heard of the isp untill i read on a forum about idnet,and it got very good reviews, im leaving Pipex because my d/l speeds are shocking, Im using encryption at the moment but come around 12.00pm onwards im lucky to get 10kbps, and im actually connected at 6.3 mb, anyhow can you confirm that speeds are good all round from what ive heard at idnet, also i need to be able to play online games at night as this was a no go with pipex,i have read that idnet doesnt come with their own .com e-mail address, is this so also?i was never able to get one working on outlook express, sorry for the questions but i need to be sure before i migrate....thanks a lot

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum, have a karma.  :welc: :karmic:

I'm not a gamer, but all the reports I see are of consistent pings - with interleaving on, I ping to the BBC at around 21ms.

Speeds are pretty consistent, I rarely notice any degradation and I think most people here would agree with me. IDNet guarantee no contention within their network, so the only issues seem to come with BT, and even those are rare. We have a lot of ex-Pipex users, and they generally seem rapturous. ;)

IDNet do provide as many free email addresses as you want, taking the form user@idnet.com. The mailboxes have a 100MB limit, with a 10MB limit for attachments. IMAP, POP3 and webmail are all supported, and you can set up spam filtering to the level that suits you, plus forwarding etc. In addition, depending on package, you get 1-3GB of space to use between web, blog and photo gallery.

If I've missed anything, just shout. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Barndog

Nice 1 Rik, That does it for me, as soon as i get the mac code im switching to idnet...thanks a lot

Rik

I really don't think you'll regret it, mate. Take a look through the forum, and you'll find a gentle purring sound emanating from happy customers. No ISP can avoid technical problems from time to time, but if there is one at IDNet, it gets sorted quickly, and we get to know what's happening. Perhaps the key indicator is that few people leave once they've experienced IDNet. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Welcome to IDNetters, Barndog.  :)

I think Rik's answered everything really. Like he says, speeds seem to be consistent always. There is no throttling so you won't need to use protocol encryption anymore.

Simon

Simon.
--

psp83

As for gaming.. I play games online and get between 14 - 21 ms on UK servers and about 33-44ms on EU servers.

Tracing route to www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    1 ms      1 ms     <1 ms  home [192.168.1.254]
  2    17ms     15 ms    15 ms  telehouse-gw2.idnet.net [212.69.63.55]
  3    18 ms    17 ms    15 ms  g3-35-501.cr05.hx2.bb.pipex.net [193.203.5.14]
  4    16 ms    17 ms    15 ms  v3953.cr05.tn5.bb.pipex.net [62.72.137.29]
  5    18 ms    15 ms    15 ms  g1-1-6.ar01.tn5.bb.pipex.net [62.72.140.142]
  6    17 ms    19 ms    17 ms  ge-0-0-0-3801.jolt-gw.cust.pipex.net [212.241.241.14]
  7    19 ms    17 ms    17 ms  secure.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65]

Trace complete.

Barndog

Thanks again guys, i have just received my mac code from pipex and ordered already, so do i wait on activation date and then phone pipex to cancel, or do i phone before hand, The guy from idnet said it should be round about the 16th.....thanks again ;)

Rik

The issue of a MAC should give notice, but I'd phone and confirm the date once you have moved.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

The issuing of the MAC is the trigger for the start of the 30 day cancellation terms Pipex will insist on, therefore, if your next payment to them falls within the 30 days, which, unless you have been very clever, it will, then they will still take that full payment, and then they are supposed to refund the balance pro-rata.  I would advise you contact them, and clarify your end of contract date, so as to finalise your payments, but you can still migrate before the end of the term.
Simon.
--

Ann

Barndog

Simon

Oh, and don't forget to cancel the direct debit with your bank, after the final payment!  ;)
Simon.
--

Lance

Welcome Barndog to the forum!
Lance
_____

Inactive

Welcome Barndog.

:welc: :karmic:

Have a welcome karma.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Noreen

Welcome Barndog. I'd certainly inform them once the new connection is live and ask them to acknowledge receipt of your message if possible. I informed f2s (Tiscali - Pipex) and they replied thanking me and stating that due to some technicalities they don't always know when someone is connected to a new ISP.

Barndog

I have just set up the free .com e-mail(well i hope its free)the thing is i have sent a few to friends to check if its ok and no problems, but when i try to send to my friends in Australia it fails everytime, what would the reason for this be, i have copied and pasted the address from my pipex address book?

Rik

I can't think of an obvious reason. If it works for one address, it should work for any. What SMTP server are you using?
Rik
--------------------

Ann

If you're copying and pasting addresses, make sure there is no extraneous space either at the beginning or the end of the address.

ducky22

Quote from: Barndog on Jan 10, 2008, 12:56:48
I have just set up the free .com e-mail(well i hope its free)the thing is i have sent a few to friends to check if its ok and no problems, but when i try to send to my friends in Australia it fails everytime, what would the reason for this be, i have copied and pasted the address from my pipex address book?

Do you receive a bounce back message?

And from Scotland, pings are great! Lowest latency ISP (adsl that is, not leased line :-P) I've ever used.

C:\Users\Martin>tracert jolt.co.uk

Tracing route to jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    25 ms    25 ms    28 ms  telehouse-gw2-msdp.idnet.net [212.69.63.51]
  3    26 ms    25 ms    25 ms  g3-35-501.cr05.hx2.bb.pipex.net [193.203.5.14]
  4    26 ms    25 ms    25 ms  v3952.cr05.tn5.bb.pipex.net [62.72.137.9]
  5    25 ms    25 ms    26 ms  g2-48-5.ar01.tn5.bb.pipex.net [62.72.140.14]
  6    25 ms    24 ms    25 ms  ge-0-0-0-3801.jolt-gw.cust.pipex.net [212.241.24
1.14]
  7    25 ms    24 ms    24 ms  secure.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65]

Trace complete.

Barndog

Yeah i get a bounce back message, saying about failure to send , the .com service is free isnt it?

psp83

Yes the @idnet.com is free.

@idnet.co.uk isn't free

Lance

Normally the bounce back email will say why it has rejected, such as the recipient doesn't exist, server is unavailable etc. Does your have anything like that?
Lance
_____

Rik

Failure to send could be the result of using the IDNet SMTP server without an IDNet connection...
Rik
--------------------

Barndog

Ahhhh, mybe thats why, im actually not connected yet,but why send to some and not others, anyways im not connected to next wednesday so will know better then...thanks for the replys