IDNet maintenance - Saturday, January 12, 2008

Started by Rik, Jan 11, 2008, 17:23:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Den

I can't believe all the negative comments about Idnet posted this morning. It was made clear that BT gave them very little warning and they were told to expect a 1 minute loss of service. They then informed us at once, what more can they do. Now everybody that has lost sync this morning is blaming it on Idnet. For God's sake get off their backs and remember this is the best ISP on the planet and we can be gratefull for a very good service all the year round.

As for doing this on a Saturday morning at a time when most people are in bed, Oh what a thing to do, Much better to do it in the week at about 12.00 noon when everybody was in work and it would have only hit the unemployed, retired and business premises.  :o
Mr Music Man.

Sebby

Agreed. What I've said is only factual, such as when I disconnected. There are no complaints here.  :)

Noreen

Den, I think the work that you're talking about is that scheduled for Monday.

cavillas

No complaints here, just a blip of a few minutes and everything ok.  Comapere that to some other ISP's with downtimes in the hours.
------
Alf :)

Rik

Quote from: Noreen on Jan 12, 2008, 11:48:22
Den, I think the work that you're talking about is that scheduled for Monday.
It is, Noreen.

Today's work should, according to Cisco, have been a simple hot plug, but it didn't work out that way. :(
Rik
--------------------

Adam

Quote from: Den on Jan 12, 2008, 11:43:48
I can't believe all the negative comments about Idnet posted this morning. It was made clear that BT gave them very little warning and they were told to expect a 1 minute loss of service. They then informed us at once, what more can they do.

AFAIK the BT maintenance is yet to come. ;) That said, I've had no noticeable issues yet, so I'm not complaining.
Adam

Inactive

I agree Noreen, it seems that on this occasion Den has not fully understood the facts of the issue.

It certainly didn't happen at 07.00 hours. ;D

Also they did not notify all of " us " they only notified forum users.

I am not having a go at IDNet, I am one of their biggest fans, however, if things could have been done better, it is best to say so, it is called " constructive critisism ". ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

cavillas

------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Noreen

Quote from: Inactive on Jan 12, 2008, 11:54:41I am not having a go at IDNet, I am one of their biggest fans, however, if things could have been done better, it is best to say so, it is called " constructive critisism ". ;)
Exactly. The Status page is my main niggle and this subject has cropped up before. I really can't see the point of a Status page that doesn't reflect the status, surely it's the first place that non-forum members would look when they have a problem, yet while we were all discussing here the problems (admittedly short-lived) caused by the maintenance work the Status page still stated that everything was fine. I realise that as Rik has said that IDNet couldn't access it later. 

Ann

And I have lost synch speed.  I turned the router off and left it off while I did some maintenance.. defragging and so on.. reconnect and still a low synch speed.  I know it's only internet but I honestly feel so miserable.  Why did they do this to me?

Rik

I really don't think your problem is related to IDNet, Ann. Synch speed is a local issue, ie between you and the exchange. Work being done at Letchworth or Telehouse should have no impact on that at all.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

Simon

I did have a blip this morning, around 11:10am, and couldn't access some sites, but it all seems to be up and running again now.

I do, however, feel that IDNet should have sent out an email to all customers, informing them of the planned maintenance, as clearly, not everyone reads the forums.
Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: Ann on Jan 12, 2008, 12:19:38
It's very coincidental.

I accept that, but sync speed is all about the connection between you and the exchange, it's unrelated to who your ISP is. (Throughput is a different issue, of course.) What are your line stats showing?
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Simon on Jan 12, 2008, 12:20:33

I do, however, feel that IDNet should have sent out an email to all customers, informing them of the planned maintenance, as clearly, not everyone reads the forums.

I agree Simon, it would seem the sensible thing to do.

So can we all now expect an email with reference to the upcoming planned BT work. ?? ;)

cavillas

My connection to differnet sites seems to be snappier and faster now.  Did they do this work just for 'lil old me. ;D
------

Inactive

Quote from: cavillas on Jan 12, 2008, 12:25:30
My connection to differnet sites seems to be snappier and faster now.  Did they do this work just for 'lil old me. ;D

Do you know what Alf, I thought it was my imagination, but that seems to be the case here as well. ;)

Rik

It should be the case. Many of the routers are now going 10x faster. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Although it would have been nicer under better circumstances,  :welc:  to any new members of the forum this morning.  Things seem to be up and running normally again, but your comments have been noted, and will be passed on to IDNet.   Welcome karma points have been issued to all!  :)
Simon.
--

Tim_idnet

Hi all

Apologies for the disruption this morning. We really didn't expect there to be any. Next time we will expect the worst, choose another day for the work, send an email to everyone in advance, and make sure the status page reflects the worst in advance in case we're unable to access it! Right, Weekend..take 2!

Apologies again
Tim

Simon

Simon.
--

Inactive

Brilliant Tim, that is what we all wanted to hear,

Cheers  ;)

Rik

Just an FYI, the status page did give advanced warning of the work, and the current state of play, but only when logged in via the customer account page. Tim's looking into why that didn't update the main status page.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Rik
--------------------