Wireless access problem - help needed?

Started by andy03071981, Jan 12, 2008, 18:56:04

Previous topic - Next topic

andy03071981

Have they finished this work now?

I am still having problems, although I have been having other problems anyway lately so if they have finished then I know its the previous problems and not these updates.

Kind regards

Andy    ;D

Adam

Quote from: andy03071981 on Jan 12, 2008, 18:56:04
Have they finished this work now?

I am still having problems, although I have been having other problems anyway lately so if they have finished then I know its the previous problems and not these updates.

Kind regards

Andy    ;D

I believe the work is done, but there may still be some issues hanging around. What problems are you having? (We may be able to confirm if they are related or not.)
Adam

Rik

The work is finished, Andy, and ping times are being monitored as they settle down.

What problems are you having?

Or what Adam said. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

andy03071981

Quote from: Adam on Jan 12, 2008, 18:58:37
I believe the work is done, but there may still be some issues hanging around. What problems are you having? (We may be able to confirm if they are related or not.)

Well I can connect to the internet with my main computer and the router works fine with that, but my laptop which connects with a wireless connection can no longer access the internet. It probably has no relation to your updates but I can't be sure and don't want to go out and buy a new router if its the updates you have been doing that has caused this.

Sebby

If you have access through a wired computer but not through wireless, the issue is at your end.

Maybe you should start a new thread with some more details of the problem and I'm sure we'll be able to help you get it sorted. :)

Rik

Hi Andy

The updates couldn't cause this sort of problem. Can your lappy 'see' the router, ie if you choose to view wireless networks, does the router show up there?

It may be useful to turn off wireless security, and try again. If you can then connect, the security was getting in the way, so set a new key in the router and then connect to the router afresh from the lappy, entering the new key.

If, otoh, you can't see the router wirelessly, then check in the interface that the wireless is turned on, and that it's broadcasting SSID.

If that still doesn't work, and you can see other wireless networks around you, it would suggest a problem with the router.
Rik
--------------------

Adam

Quote from: andy03071981 on Jan 12, 2008, 19:05:08
Well I can connect to the internet with my main computer and the router works fine with that, but my laptop which connects with a wireless connection can no longer access the internet. It probably has no relation to your updates but I can't be sure and don't want to go out and buy a new router if its the updates you have been doing that has caused this.

As Sebby has recommended it may be wise to start a new thread for the problem, as it isn't a problem caused by IDNet. We may still be able to help you though, and save you from having to spend money on a new router.

Update: Or continue in this new thread. :)
Adam

andy03071981

Wireless access problem - help needed?

Last night everything worked just fine, but this morning it went all wrong! I can connect to the internet through my router fine with my wired computer but my wireless computer (laptop), I can no longer connect. I have tried to set up the wireless connection again but my laptop cannot seem to see the router I can no longer connect to the shared folder used by the network on my laptop either. I think its ether the router that has failed or the wireless network card in the laptop, but I have no way of telling which so I don't know which to replace. The laptop is very new so is unlikely to be that but as I say I can't be sure. Is there anyway of testing the wireless bit of the router is working? I don't have another wireless device to test it.

I am off to bed now though so I will reply to any answers tomorrow.

Kind regards

Andy   ;D

Thank you in advance for any help!!    ;)

psp83

Have you checked the power management on the wireless card? make sure windows is not turning it off when it shouldn't be.

Also, are you using the laptop by battery? Some disable stuff to give longer bat life.. try checking the power options of your laptop to see if the wireless card is enabled.

scook94

Can your laptop see any network? Mine will pick up about 4 or 5 others from neighbouring houses. Were you able to see any like that previously? If you could and can't now, then I'd say it's a laptop problem.
Steven
--------

andy03071981

It seems I have made a boo boo!

I have a baby about to be born, my Girlfriend is 2 days over due actually. Anyway, I purchased a wireless video and sound baby monitor and I have been testing it in my front room. Little did I know that this was interfering with the laptops ability to receive the routers wireless signal. Luckily I just happened to to read on another post on another website that some cordless phones and wireless  surveillance cameras can interfere with wireless computer connections and the wireless baby monitor works on a similar frequency to them so I put 2 and 2 together and for once I came up with 4! Anyway I turned the monitor off and everything went back to normal.

Sorted!!

However I do feel a bit stupid, well a lot stupid actually. Plus I have now got to go and tell my Girlfriend why she has not been able to connect to the internet for 2 days. She is going to kill me when she finds out its my fault, haha.  :o

Anyway thank you all for the help, if its any consolation I did try all the kind advise before I figured out I was just been very very very stupid. haha!

Rik

It's not stupid, Andy, these days the wireless spectrum is getting more and more crowded. :(

I hope everything goes well for you both in the next few days. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

If you have the facility within your router software, move the channel frequency, most have a setting to change it.

IE; 1 to 6.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Good point, In. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are usually regarded as having the best separation (there may also be an option to change the channel on the baby monitor).
Rik
--------------------

andy03071981

I have managed to change the channel on the baby monitor and I have tested the laptop and everything is working great now, thank god!  haha

Kind regards and thanks for the help.

Andy   ;D

Rik

Result.  :yes:

Let us know how the birth goes, Andy. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

A result...have a Karma for your frustration..  ;D :karmic:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Simon

Nice one, Andy, and good luck with the new arrival!  :)
Simon.
--

Sebby

I'm glad you go it sorted, Andy. A baby monitor interfering is a new one on me.  :laugh:

:karmic:

Lance

Good result Andy! And lets hope you have another one soon!
Lance
_____

Ted

Quote from: Simon on Jan 13, 2008, 11:25:45
Nice one, Andy, and good luck with the new arrival!  :)
We never knew what true happiness was until we had children, by then of course it was too bloody late! :sigh:
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Rik
--------------------

andy03071981

Quote from: xild on Jan 13, 2008, 15:54:03
We never knew what true happiness was until we had children, by then of course it was too bloody late! :sigh:

Thanks for that, haha!!  ;D