Download Cap

Started by drummer, Sep 18, 2006, 22:53:37

Previous topic - Next topic

drummer

Hello All

This is my first post and I have to say it's a delight to be an IDNetter.  Great forum with lots of interesting and diverse views with some really useful tips and advice.  And no obvious rancour.  :)

However I do have a question I notice has been asked and answered previously about the 30Gb cap.  The consensus seems to be that it only applies to downloads and not uploads, but I can't find anything on the IDNet site that actually confirms this.   

I know I could get a definitive answer by emailing IDNet, but I haven't had any problems with my connection and I needed an excuse to post here.  ;D

Kind of scary really because, unlike my previous ISP, IDNet doesn't have port throttling or packet shaping and I've inadvertantly been a bit too greedy (and generous) with my bandwidth.

But it would be useful to know how a potential subscriber would glean this information when they're shopping around for a new ISP.

To stay is death but to flee is life.

Philip

I asked the same question herehttp://www.idnetters.idnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=468.0 and it IS only downloads that count  :)

drummer

Quote from: The Doctor on Sep 18, 2006, 23:01:43
I asked the same question herehttp://www.idnetters.idnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=468.0 and it IS only downloads that count  :)
Thanks for that.  That was one of the threads I read but no one seemed to indicate how they knew this.  Still, if karvala says it's true, then who am I to argue  :P

As Scott suggested on that thread, it would be useful if IDNet made that information clear.

Thanks again for your reply.

karvala

LOL, behave you.  And where's my intro fee? :D  j/k!

maxping

As Scott suggested on that thread, it would be useful if IDNet made that information clear.

Na leave it alone itll only encourage  the freeloaders in and you know what happens then  :D

drummer

Quote from: karvala on Sep 19, 2006, 00:36:15
LOL, behave you.  And where's my intro fee? :D  j/k!
Cheque's in the post.  :D

drummer

Quote from: maxping on Sep 19, 2006, 00:41:42Na leave it alone itll only encourage  the freeloaders in and you know what happens then  :D
Funny you should say that as I still subscribe to my old ISP's forum and am treading a fine line between promoting IDNet and not wanting too many hogs trespassing.  Get orf moi land!   :angel:

Jeff

QuoteAnd no obvious rancour

Nah, look closer, one or two incescant whiners atm, it`ll pass ;)

maxping

Cant see it  :D

equk

Quote from: Jeff on Sep 22, 2006, 21:57:06
incestant? is that to do with sex in the family?  :o

But seriously if by 'whiners' you mean people who need support because of ping times posting on a support forum, then I question the meaning of the forum.

I'm sure it'll pass when they migrate to different ISPs  :-\ :-[ ::)
e6400 @ 3.2Ghz 38°C 45°C | ATI X1900XT | P5W DH | ss: linux | osx
migration complete - sync 5mb 500k - stable low ping times

Jeff

QuoteI'm sure it'll pass when they migrate to different ISPs 

Couldn`t agree more, if it`s so bad, migrate ... I know I wouldn`t punish myself by staying if IDNet were hopeless.

QuoteBut seriously if by 'whiners' you mean people who need support because of ping times posting on a support forum, then I question the meaning of the forum.

Yeah, but the record ... it`s like when Wet Wet Wet was number one for 7 years, you just wanted the whole of the rest of the population to go and see the bloody film all at once so the damn radio stations would stop playing that bloody song! :D

Quoteincestant? is that to do with sex in the family?

I think you need more skill with yer copy and paste utility ;) Mind, I misspelled it wrong in the first place ... I had had 11 pints though, even Gods like me can have an off day ;)