Interesting read on Thinkbroadband

Started by Noreen, Jan 21, 2008, 18:15:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Captain K

Believe me, the desire to get away from Tiscali can drive someone to desperate measures.  Have you ever been in a restaurant and ordered something absolutely fantastic from the menu, and you know its going to to fantastic when it arrives, but you've got 15 minutes to wait before it does, and all you've got in the meantime is a stale roll and some racid butter?  That's where I am now. :'(
Bruce.

I don't trust Camels.  Or any other creature that can go a week without a drink.

Sebby

The only thing I can say (and I know you know this already) is that it'll be worth the wait. :)

Rik

You'll have access to the email for at least 30 days, Bruce, as that's your notice period. So you needn't really wait. :)

You might like to think about getting a GMail address for the competitions, or you could register your own domain and get an email service from someone like 1&1 for about £8pa - I've moved ISP so many times that it seemed a good idea to me. Then I arrived at IDNet and probably won't moved again...
Rik
--------------------

g7pkf

Quote from: Rik on Feb 03, 2008, 09:39:49
You'll have access to the email for at least 30 days, Bruce, as that's your notice period. So you needn't really wait. :)

You might like to think about getting a GMail address for the competitions, or you could register your own domain and get an email service from someone like 1&1 for about £8pa - I've moved ISP so many times that it seemed a good idea to me. Then I arrived at IDNet and probably won't moved again...

Don't tempt fate.

I think you may jinx things...Just imagine posting an announcement like this..

I have been informed that idnet as of 12:00 today have been taken over by (insert your most hated isp).

now please stop saying things like "Then I arrived at IDNet and probably won't moved again..." youl jinx us all.

just say i am very happy with the level of service i receive.

Simon

Always the optimist, eh, Dean?  ;D
Simon.
--

Sebby

Quote from: g7pkf on Feb 03, 2008, 11:28:50
now please stop saying things like "Then I arrived at IDNet and probably won't moved again..." youl jinx us all.

I appreciate what you're saying. Users arrive at IDNet and can't believe how good the service is. They say they won't move again on the assumption that things will stay the same. I believe they will, but like you suggest, obviously there's no guarantee. It's just a feeling you get. :)

Ann

I use a tiscali email address (sign up as a pay-as-you-go dial up customer) for my rubbish stuff.  I've had it for years and years.  I tried to keep my own email address clean but it's starting to get spam now.. I don't know who the b****** is who leaked my address.  I've also found out that using the tiscali forum dupes them into thinking that you've used their dial up and you get sent their loyalty offers that month.  I haven't yet got anything from it but may do some time.

Sebby

It's extremely frustrating, Ann. However hard you try, unfortunately the inevitable always happens. A lot of the time I think it's dictionary attacks, but you can never be sure. You can't trust anyway these days.  >:D

Gary

Quote from: Sebby on Feb 03, 2008, 11:37:14
It's extremely frustrating, Ann. However hard you try, unfortunately the inevitable always happens. A lot of the time I think it's dictionary attacks, but you can never be sure. You can't trust anyway these days.  >:D
My old freeserve address was a nightmare in the end for Spam, I have quite a few disposable email addresses now, and Yahoo gives me a few alias (Microsoft hands off >:() as you say Sebby you can never trust these days. Most of my spam hell started when a few friends, the ones who go "Oh pop up freebies" and press the damn things got infested, so now I use gmail for them and keep my IDNet ones very hidden.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Even the recently introduced forum staff email address has been spammed - nothing is sacred. :)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Don't know if any of you know about this, but I use it a lot:

http://www.mailinator.com/

It's a great service for the things that you have to supply an e-mail address for, but just know that if you do then you're gonna get spam coming out your ears. Saves setting up yet another e-mail account . 8)

Captain K

The chap at Tiscali told me (from the script of course!) that the email addresses will stop working as soon as the move to the new ISP is complete.  I've read somewhere that Tiscali, or Pipex addresses can hang around for months, as its taking them so long to catch up with the cancellations, but I don't think I'll tempt fate.  The haul from my wife's competition wins in the last 12 months has been great (business class flights to New York, flights to Australia, whole set of kitchen appliances, to name a few of the big ones  :D), and I don't want to be responsible for her missing a big one!  She's started using a hotmail address now, and reckons 2 weeks will be enough to run off the competitions entered with the old address.

So, I will be along shortly.  Just 2 long, long weeks.  Of rubbish speeds.  Of monstrously high pings.  Of iTunes not working.  Of port blocking.  :bore:
Bruce.

I don't trust Camels.  Or any other creature that can go a week without a drink.

Simon

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 03, 2008, 12:05:58

It's a great service for the things that you have to supply an e-mail address for, but just know that if you do then you're gonna get spam coming out your ears. Saves setting up yet another e-mail account . 8)

http://10minutemail.com/ is another useful resource.  :)
Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: madasahatter on Feb 03, 2008, 12:05:58

Interesting site. I've used mail.com for years for a similar purpose, before that, I had an account at bigfoot.com. The very first one was at Telecom Gold, £14+ per month, plus data and call charges. Didn't tend to get spam back then. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Captain K on Feb 03, 2008, 12:11:00
The chap at Tiscali told me (from the script of course!) that the email addresses will stop working as soon as the move to the new ISP is complete.

That doesn't sound right to me, but you can always arrange for the migration to occur on day 14 with IDNet. ;)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

The chap at Tiscali told me (from the script of course!) that the email addresses will stop working as soon as the move to the new ISP is complete. 

My Tiscali e-mail address ceased a couple of days after moving to IDNet - lucky I'd thought to get everything out that I wanted.

Call me naughty, but I still like to go into their forums every now and then so that I can feel smug at all the people complaining that are stuck with them  >:D

Noreen

Quote from: Killhippie on Feb 03, 2008, 11:51:16
Yahoo gives me a few alias (Microsoft hands off >:() as you say Sebby you can never trust these days. Most of my spam hell started when a few friends, the ones who go "Oh pop up freebies" and press the damn things got infested, so now I use gmail for them and keep my IDNet ones very hidden.
I keep my yahoo.co.uk address for any business type email and also for people that I don't know very well. I do receive some spam on it but it is sorted from my real mail very efficiently by yahoo. My IDNet addresses are reserved for those that I trust and I've never seen any spam with them.

I second your thoughts re MS and yahoo. ;D

Ann

I found that the email address that I made when I signed up with Tiscali to use as a login did stop as soon as I left as they close off the login with your account closure.  But an address that you make separately for pay-as-you-go purposes keeps on going regardless.

I just ordered the game Uru from the Tiscali freebies offer.. well it's not really free as they charge £2.99 postage.. ha!