80Mbps FTTC

Started by Simon_idnet, Nov 02, 2011, 09:07:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Sagnad

Quote from: Glenn on Feb 23, 2012, 08:04:20
What speeds do you get if you use a wired connection?

That's a good question  ;) and  I'll give it a go tonight just to be thorough, but I get significantly more throughput on the internal WLAN (10MB/s++) when copying files to/from my NAS.

Sagnad

Quote from: Steve on Feb 23, 2012, 08:05:46
I would guess that the WiFi connection is the throttle , from my own experience unless I'm near the AEBS 5GHz it can throttle my 40/10 . Even though the connection reports at full strength it's the throughput that falls off as you move away. Your IP profile has shifted so the potential is there for higher throughput, have you tried a ethernet cable to rule this out.

I'm literally only 1.5metres away from my access point and the MacOSX network utility says a throughput of 450Mbps is the estimated throughput (usually seems pretty accurate ).

Rich.

Steve

Not seen that on Network Utility all I can see is the Link speed. I use Activity Monitor> Network, but as you say if you can get 10Mb/s throughput to the NAS you shouldn't have any issues. If your going to try a cable maybe worth bypassing the router altogether and trying a direct PPPOE to the modem.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sagnad

I ran the speedtest.net test using a wired 1Gbps connection and achieved a throughput of 72/16.  So I thought "I don't understand but it must be down to the wireless network thottling".  So for giggles I tried it using the wireless network again and got the same answer!  So I'm guessing something must have happened between Wednesday night and last night.  Does it take time for it to adjust?

Steve

Your IP profile had changed so the throughput potential should be 'there' , Two things spring to mind,one is BT backbone congestion so you should perhaps see a similar pattern re occurring at peaktimes, secondly if IDNet limit throughput through their network to the BT BRAS profile it may not have been updated concurrently ( I may be completely wrong on this but there is a logic behind limiting the throughput of an individual line to the BT Bras profile)
Steve
------------

psp83

An update on the trial.

Over the last few days I've been having problems.

Connection has been dropping alot, ping has increased and download speed has decreased slowly since being upgraded.

The connection drops has caused my profile to drop to 63Mbps from roughly a 70Mbps profile, I can't seem to get much over 40/10 speeds.

The graph above is typical day recently. Everything used to be smooth.

I'm wondering if this modem is on its way out  ???

Steve

Certainly the max attainable speed will vary throughout the day, around 2PM showing the highest. I guess without looking at the stats from the modem one can only speculate as to the cause.
Steve
------------

psp83

Since the upgrade until this week, my TBB graph has been like this :

Something somewhere has decided to play up this week.

psp83

And here's a BT speed test to go with it :

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
23 Mbps

0 Mbps   63.22 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-63.22 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 63.22 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
8.91 Mbps

0 Kbps   20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.91Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

We have identified that you have additional services enabled on you broadband line, please click continue to run advanced service tests.

Steve

Certainly sluggish for some reason.
Steve
------------

Glenn

Paul, what does your line give on a Speedtest.net test?

Where as a BT speedtest give 7Mbps, see attachment.

Both were done this morning within 2 minutes of each other.
Glenn
--------------------

psp83

Forgot to post this earlier :

Something is causing issues with my connection  :(

psp83

I might power the modem & router down over night to let it cool down and see how it is in the morning.

Bill

A throwaway remark on tbb by the ADSL24 rep indicates the 80/20 service going live on (or about) April 1st:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4102184-adsl24-80mb-trial-now-open-to-customers.html

Hope it doesn't turn out to be a particularly appropriate date :whistle:

And that we'll soon get some idea of the price- I'd like to stay on it, but not if the cost is excessive.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

Should it cost anymore than 40/10 I'm not sure although you expect to pay more for the bandwidth it will inevitably consume.
Steve
------------

psp83

Isn't the FTTH the same cost as FTTC per month? I've heard it is, if that's true then I can't see why BTw will charge more for 80/20.

It should replace the 40/10.