Eclipse, Throttling and should I move to IDNet?

Started by kerrso05, Jan 23, 2008, 02:09:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Harry, just a thought, but you don't want to migrate in on January 31, make it Feb 1 if it can be done that soon.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kerrso05

Quote from: Rik on Jan 28, 2008, 18:12:09
Harry, just a thought, but you don't want to migrate in on January 31, make it Feb 1 if it can be done that soon.

Rik.......I have been very busy this afternoon, so I haven't been able to phone IDNet about my MAC Code so it looks like it will be first thing tomorrow. So it looks like I won't be moving until after the 1st Feb but if you don't mind me asking, why not  the 31st January?.........is it because of monthly Download allowance?

Eclipse, have been true to form in that they are throttling my speed on P2P down to 0.02kbs at the moment........it is taking over an hour to download one 3 minute mp3 track. Whatever Technology Tiscali (on behalf of Eclipse, because Tiscali manage the LLU Equipment I am on) are using in the exchange it is very clever in that I can browse at a fairly fast pace but at the same time as soon as I use P2P the download speed is non existent.....very clever but I will be glad to be away from it....I certainly didn't sign up to that type of conditions.

On the IDNet front......Is there a guide on IDNet, to show how to set up an Email account? and can I set one up before I move? or is it better to wait until I move and then set one up? It is three years since I last moved but what happens once I contact IDNet and give them my MAC Code? do I get a password or something to sign in to IDNet?......getting excited about moving (you would think I was a child)
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Rik

Hi Harry

IDNet has a foible in it's billing system. Regardless of the date in the month on which you join, you pay for a full month and get a full month's allowance, so joining in the last few days is generally unwise.

There's no guide to setting up an email account on the site, but this may do what you want. If not, feel free to ask.

As soon as you get your account details through, you can set up your email, web space, blog space and Gallery if you wish, though only the email will be immediately usable.

Once you contact IDNet, you'll get a welcome email with your login details and password, plus the activation date. Once you have the email, you'll be able to access your account page.
Rik
--------------------

kerrso05

Rik, I have just seen some bad news on another thread .......Planned maintenance of BT Exchanges.......Guess what Exchange is being messed about with...sorry, that should read planned maintenance.......Bangor, my Exchange, on the 1st February
What bad luck is that?

With a bit of Luck I will move after that date and BT will have completed their maintenance and the Exchange will flying.
I'll be crossing all fingers and toes
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Lance

Lance
_____

Sebby

Quote from: kerrso05 on Jan 28, 2008, 19:27:49
Rik, I have just seen some bad news on another thread .......Planned maintenance of BT Exchanges.......Guess what Exchange is being messed about with...sorry, that should read planned maintenance.......Bangor, my Exchange, on the 1st February
What bad luck is that?

Don't worry, you're not alone. Both myself and Rik's exchanges are being tampered with too. :)

Rik

And it's worth pointing out that the work only involves about 20 minutes of downtime during the night.
Rik
--------------------

kerrso05

Just put my order in online for Home Max into IDNet.........quite painless operation.
Only thing was that at the end it said I would get an Automatic Confirmation Email...which I haven't as yet......probably come as soon as I have written this:-[

Rik.......I put your name down as referrer.......I don't know whether or not that gives you any Brownie Points or not (as I didn't have your Phone No)
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

kerrso05

:-[ :-[ :-[

Got my Email from IDNet and they say that I will move at 6.00pm on Tuesday 5th February 2008  ;D

Does anyone know if I can change the Logon Username? or does that stay with me while I am with IDNet
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Rik

AFAIK, you can't change it, Harry. Your move will be by 6pm. btw. In practice, most migrations are done in the small hours and you will wake up to find that you need to change the login details in your router.

Quote from: kerrso05 on Jan 29, 2008, 08:32:06
Rik.......I put your name down as referrer.......I don't know whether or not that gives you any Brownie Points or not (as I didn't have your Phone No)

That's kind of you, Harry, thank you. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: kerrso05 on Jan 29, 2008, 09:20:09
Does anyone know if I can change the Logon Username? or does that stay with me while I am with IDNet

You can't change it. It'll be your_telephone_number@idnet.gw5.

JB

Quote from: Sebby on Jan 29, 2008, 13:09:37
You can't change it. It'll be your_telephone_number@idnet.gw5.

I migrated last week. During the web page registration I noticed that you could choose your own user/login name. It worked for me and mine is my selected name@idnet.gw5. I have to say that in my excitement to join Idnet I nearly missed it on the web page and would have ended up with my phone number as user name.

I'm not sure if you can change it retrospectively though.

Regards,

JB
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Adam

Quote from: kerrso05 on Jan 29, 2008, 09:20:09

It's worth asking support as it can be technically changed, but it is up to IDNet whether they want to do it or not. AFAIK it should be possible, though I've never tried asking before.
Adam

Sebby

Quote from: 6jb on Jan 29, 2008, 14:07:48
I migrated last week. During the web page registration I noticed that you could choose your own user/login name. It worked for me and mine is my selected name@idnet.gw5. I have to say that in my excitement to join Idnet I nearly missed it on the web page and would have ended up with my phone number as user name.

I see. Thanks for that information. I either missed it or it's something new since I joined. I know there was a thread about it a little while ago and some people didn't like having their telephone number as their username, so perhaps IDNet responded by allowing new users to select their own. Personally, I much prefer having the telephone number as it's one less username to create and remember.  :laugh:

Rik

I joined with a user name, so the phone number is probably the more recent option - but then again, perhaps they were always both available. :)
Rik
--------------------

Si

Username option was given to me when I signed up on Friday... didn't see a default option of telephone number, but perhaps that would have been done had I not chosen one of my own.
Simon

For the avoidance of confusion I'm not THAT Simon, or the OTHER Simon. :)

Sebby

It certainly sounds like there's been a change during the last month or so.  :)

kerrso05

I don't know about a Username Option in the Web Page registration but I did see a Password Option.........I contacted Support (got put through right away...no holding on or waiting "till one of our operatives becomes free or listen to 'tinny' music.......I was well impressed......IDNet...good start  ;D) and spoke to very helpful guy who said that there wasn't an option to change the Username....at the moment, but that they are working to give an option in the forseeable future.
The only reason I want to change the Username is because it has my ex-directory phone no as part of it and I paid BT to have that number kept private........but then again I don't know if anyone can see that username, other than IDNet and my Modem....so I don't know what I am worried about.
Support also told me that my payment date will be from the 5th February to the 5th March.......I was a wee bit worried that because I had paid today I had missed the month of January but he assured me that it was from the date that my line became live with IDNet that my one month contract starts......which is the 5th March....can't wait
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Rik

Hi Harry

The only people who will ever see the number are BT and IDNet, so you can relax on that score. :)

AFAIK, payment dates are from when you go live, but charging cycles (usage) are from the 1st of each month. You will have your full monthly data allocation to use in February, but it has to be used by the end of the 29th, a new charging cycle will start on March 1.
Rik
--------------------

MoHux

Quote from: Sebby on Jan 29, 2008, 16:46:51
It certainly sounds like there's been a change during the last month or so.  :)

Yes, of course Seb' .............  :pat:

:legpull:  ;D
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Sebby

:lol:

I can't have missed is as it sounds like you're forced to choose a username now. ;)

kerrso05

Rik....thanks again......I forgot to say but the Support Guy also explained the usage period is from the start of the month to the end of the month

In respect the Username Change Option......I'm on my IDNet account now and I don't see any option for to change the Username.......I don't were people saw that option.....but I'm not worried about it because as Rik has said nobody can really see that Phone No

Roll on 5th February till I get away from E  :evil: :out: and come to IDNet
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Ann

There seems to be some confusion between choosing a username and changing a username.  When I joined in August last year, I got to choose my username but I can't now change it.  It seems that the same system is still in use.

Sebby

It is weird because I signed up for 3 IDNet accounts around the same time (early December, IIRC) and I'm sure I would've noticed once if I could choose a username. :laugh:

It must have changed again recently. :)

kerrso05

I don't want to compound the issue but I didn't get an option to change the User Name and when I rung Support they said that you couldn't change it (at the moment.....but they were working on it) The only thing you could change was the password.....and there certainly isn't anything on the accounts page of the IDNet Web Page were you are given the option to change the Username.

Are there some people getting confused by Username and Password?........just a thought!!!  ???
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland