Static IP

Started by crynshame, Sep 25, 2006, 17:20:06

Previous topic - Next topic

crynshame

I am in the process of joining IDNet but,have a question:
I have 2 computers in the home,one upstairs and one downstairs. Downstairs being the main comp which is connected by Linksys WAG354G. Upstairs connected via Linksys Network Adapter. My intentions are to take out Home Max with IDNet
which will supply Static IP address. Will both computers be able to use the same Static Ip address.

Any Help Appreciated.
Tommy

If its ment for You, it wont pass You.

karvala

Sort of, yes.  The way it works is that the static IP address you're assigned by IDNet is actually the external address of the router (the Linksys WAG354G).  All incoming traffic aimed ultimately at either computer will first be sent to that same IP address.  Meanwhile, the router assigns separate private IP addresses from its own range to the two computers that only it and the computers can see (either automatically via DHCP, or manually if you want to do it yourself).  It then forwards packets that it receives (that were sent to your IDNet IP address) to the appropriate machine on the network, in accordance with which connections are currently open, the route table, and other rules that you create manually in the router.

I can bore you with many more details if you like, but that's basically how it works.

crynshame

Thanks Karvala for the quick response and help, much appreciated.
Tommy

If its ment for You, it wont pass You.

BassoProfundo

NAT nicely described in a nutshell Karvala. Well done.