Bitdefender vs. Nod32

Started by mrapoc, Sep 23, 2006, 15:32:00

Previous topic - Next topic

mrapoc

maxping

I use Avast i cannot see the point in paying for something you can get for free.

Bill

Max has his opinion, mine is that you get what you pay for. I find NOD32 excellent, does its job and you wouldn't know it's there- it barely impacts resources even on an old 500MHz P3.

A far cry from the Norton I used to have! >:(

Never used Bitdefender so nothing to say about it- hence no vote in the poll.

Edit- you might like to have a look around this site for some comparisons.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

maxping

Quote from: Bill on Sep 23, 2006, 16:15:43
I find NOD32 excellent, does its job and you wouldn't know it's there- it barely impacts resources even on an old 500MHz P3.

There are hundreds of "which is the best  A / V prog" threads in forums and if you read them they all say the same as Bill has here , Nod is by far the best rated of the paid for versions.

You should edit the question to read something like "which is the best paid for A/V prog"

mrapoc

maxping

equk

I use f-secure as it has extensive protection.
Protects against virus's trojans etc but also has protection against rootkits and spyware, all-in-one.
Also only costs £12

Also F-Secure has won awards for the fastest response and update time to worms etc. Including the "InfoWorld Best Anti-Spyware Solution"

I hope NOD32 isn't Norton  :-\ massive memory hog aswell as annoyingly big updates :(

e6400 @ 3.2Ghz 38°C 45°C | ATI X1900XT | P5W DH | ss: linux | osx
migration complete - sync 5mb 500k - stable low ping times

mrapoc

equk

must be good then :)

never heard of it  ::)  :laugh:  :P
e6400 @ 3.2Ghz 38°C 45°C | ATI X1900XT | P5W DH | ss: linux | osx
migration complete - sync 5mb 500k - stable low ping times

drummer

I've been using Nod32 for about a month now and have no complaints with it at all.  Very small CPU footprint and it just never bugs me, but it does its job well on the test I've run.  This is potentially interesting http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=82 .
To stay is death but to flee is life.

Jeff

I use Fix It Utilities Uses Trend engine for AV, used it for at least 6 years, never had a virus, must work I suppose ;)

Bill

Quote from: Jeff on Sep 24, 2006, 00:50:11never had a virus, must work I suppose ;)

Rash assumption... you can only assume it works if it notified you that it prevented/intercepted an infection attempt. Otherwise:

1) You've been lucky or

2) You've been infected and don't know it  ;)
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Jeff

Hey, maybe I just don`t get out that often Billy lad ;)

Bill, nice to see you again, sorry I haven`t been around as much, how are you m8? :)

Bill

I'm fine, how's you? Been wondering if you'd discovered a real life instead of this online stuff ;D
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Jeff

Hey, I`ve finished the kitchen ... I`ll tek some pics ;)

Erm ... what the fing hell are you going on about? You spend more time online than the Babestation lasses on Sky 906 ... so I`ve been told by Scott. I`ve locked out all those sort of channels ;)

Heard a good joke today.

It appears that a scientist has finally managed to find out the average weight of the male penis ... he does however require more info to determine the weight of the average c***, so do uz a favour, weigh yourself and send him the results :D

j/k

jaydub

Quote from: maxping on Sep 23, 2006, 15:53:54
I use Avast i cannot see the point in paying for something you can get for free.

I've been using Avast for a while, but was getting cheesed off with the interface.  Did some research and scared myself about how ineffective Avast was compared to the best of the paid for AV products.  Nod32 and BitDefender seem to win a similar number of awards.

I really don't like the Nod32 user interface and BitDefender is much cheaper (£27 for two years).

ATM, I'm seriously thinking of paying for a licence and it's against my religion - I'm a Yorkshire man   :)

StevieV

I have used Kaspersky for years and am extremely happy with it. I have used Bitdefender free in the past and always found it quite good - nice user interface and does pretty well in comparisons tests. I tried NOD32 but got infected by a bad trojan which resulted in me having to do a complete reinstall of Windows. That was a few years ago and maybe NOD32 is better now but you know - once bitten ..........! If you are only considering Bitdefender or NOD32 I would go for Bitdefender. If you go for NOD32 run an antitrojan as well (I hear Ewido is good). Good luck,  Steve

browney

mrapoc

ive heard nod32 is better for gamers, and nod32 is more effective in advanced hands  :laugh:

globby

I used Norton for years then tried a few free online scans when my pc acted up.

F-Trust found viruses on my pc Norton and others had missed including some in zip/rar files that had been there years.

Scott

Quote from: Jeff on Sep 24, 2006, 02:07:25
It appears that a scientist has finally managed to find out the average weight of the male penis ... he does however require more info to determine the weight of the average c***, so do uz a favour, weigh yourself and send him the results :D

RoFL...nicely done J
S
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

crynshame

::)  Using nod32 for about a year now dosent hug your resources like norton.

Had a bad virus infection when I had norton installed, which didnt remove them all until I installed nod32 which killed the ones that were hidding from norton. :out:
Tommy

If its ment for You, it wont pass You.

mrapoc

considering nod32 has more votes and its basically nod32 vs. all
;) think ill get it  ;D